Gibson Brands Forums

Pesh decided to build a guitar...

Pesh

My dad recently acquired a nice stock of timber from a fellow carpenter, which included some very nice mahogany. So, following on from the great inspiration of Rabs and his build post, I managed to take some of it off his hands.

Given he had a basic Les Paul body template; it was almost-instantly decided these lumps of wood would be a Lester build.

I started with a billet of mahogany that my dad gave me. This is the full size piece without any cuts made:

IMG_0175.jpg

This is the billet with a template over the top; my dad uses this template to make guitar shaped cutting boards:

IMG_0176.jpg

After a bit of sanding on one edge, I got to see the grain; turns out to be a lovely caramel brown colour:

IMG_0177.jpg

After rough-cutting the billet to a more manageable size. Again with the template my dad has:

IMG_0178.jpg

One of the edges after some rough sanding:

IMG_0179.jpg

One of the large sides after rough-sanding:

IMG_0180.jpg

The other side after sanding:

IMG_0181.jpg

Using an off-cut from the main billet, I will be able to form a neck. Unfortunately this piece does not have the dimensions for a one piece LP neck, so this is going to be cut down the plane and form the outer splices of a multi-piece laminated neck; either a 3, 5, or 7 piece. I'm not sure if this will be paired with the body from the same block at this time; it may go towards another project:

IMG_0182.jpg

The same neck piece from another angle:

IMG_0183.jpg

And another angle:

IMG_0184.jpg

I don't have a lot of free time this year, so as and when I can updates to this project will be a challenge at times. But I hope that you all follow this with interest.

Cheers for now!

Pesh.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.. that's one hell of a lump of wood you have there.. Real nice man.. [thumbup]

I really look forward to seeing how this comes along...

Are you gonna put a top on it or just go with an all mahogany body? The one good thing about putting a top on is that you get to route some of the wiring channels in before you glue it down.. can make things just that little bit easier later on when you come to do the wiring. And also you can drill some weight relief in to the body or it could become a real weighty axe.

I got my maple top off of this guy on Ebay.. He does some nice stuff including pre slotted fret boards.. and let me tell you.. doing fret slots without one of those stu mac type of jigs is REALLY hard... I wasted two rosewood blanks before I decided to buy a pre slotted one.. Later down the line I will buy those tools and do it myself but to be honest the pre-slotted ones don't cost that much more than a blank... so its worth the few extra quid for me :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bassbar1/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

Good luck with it all man [thumbup]

Wow.. that's one hell of a lump of wood you have there.. Real nice man.. [thumbup]

I really look forward to seeing how this comes along...

Are you gonna put a top on it or just go with an all mahogany body? The one good thing about putting a top on is that you get to route some of the wiring channels in before you glue it down.. can make things just that little bit easier later on when you come to do the wiring. And also you can drill some weight relief in to the body or it could become a real weighty axe.

I got my maple top off of this guy on Ebay.. He does some nice stuff including pre slotted fret boards.. and let me tell you.. doing fret slots without one of those stu mac type of jigs is REALLY hard... I wasted two rosewood blanks before I decided to buy a pre slotted one.. Later down the line I will buy those tools and do it myself but to be honest the pre-slotted ones don't cost that much more than a blank... so its worth the few extra quid for me :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bassbar1/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

Good luck with it all man [thumbup]

Many thanks, Rabs! 'Tis a fine chunk, indeed; and I'm holding onto a hope my dad will give me a little more at some point! It won't be an issue if not, but having seen what he's done with some of the same stock when making his own items; it would be nice to get some more!

This build is indeed going to include a cap, and it will be of the maple persuasion! I'm making this based off of a '59 LP, using the template from this provider. The initial cut was based on a template my dad has. But this is gonna' be all Lester! At the moment this build is going to have a plain maple cap, with a solid colour finish.

While I have several ideas in my head as to what this one is going to be; the current choice is black top, with a natural or lightly-stained back.

The photo's below are courtesy of the Gibson Custom Shop Twitter feed, and serve as inspiration for what I'm imagining:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for the eBay store link; I'm currently undecided on what I'm doing fretboard-wise. I know of a fret slot cutting jig available from a company here in the UK (let me know if you want more info), and if I decide to continue with other builds (high likelihood) it might be worth an investment.

While I have several ideas in my head as to what this one is going to be; the current choice is black top, with a natural or lightly-stained back.

Cool...

That colour looks almost like the Oxblood colour.. Which from certain angles looks very dark red and others looks black...

Jeff beck had one like that.. which I think is pretty cool [thumbup]

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Jeff-Beck-1954-Les-Paul-Oxblood.aspx

Just a thought :)

Oh yeah.. one other thing...

If you are going to buy stuff from the US, just be aware of import duty.. They can really sting you sometimes...

You can actually find templates on the net that you can download, print out (if you have the facility) and make them yourself from MDF or something.

Cool...

That colour looks almost like the Oxblood colour.. Which from certain angles looks very dark red and others looks black...

Jeff beck had one like that.. which I think is pretty cool [thumbup]

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Jeff-Beck-1954-Les-Paul-Oxblood.aspx

Just a thought :)

Ooh; I hadn't ever seen that one before. There's probably more than a few pages out there on Gibson's site that I've never seen, I reckon! I can see what you mean by the viewing angle, though; odd!

Not sure how I'll finish this project at the moment; it shall all come about as I go further into the build! I was, as mentioned, looking into ebony black at the moment, although it could always change!

Ooh; I hadn't ever seen that one before. There's probably more than a few pages out there on Gibson's site that I've never seen, I reckon! I can see what you mean by the viewing angle, though; odd!

Not sure how I'll finish this project at the moment; it shall all come about as I go further into the build! I was, as mentioned, looking into ebony black at the moment, although it could always change!

Lol.. yes, that's very much how I work too.. Even though I have ideas I kinda let the build tell me what it wants when the time is right... If the wood im using itself is REALLLY nice I then usually want to go for a natural finish... or something just to highlight the wood rather than totally change the colour... Maple though (well flamed) really begs to have stain on it to highlight the grain...(well I think anyway :))

And one more thing :)

If you intend to use Nitro lacquer theres a place in Manchester that does good stuff (apparently he supplies Gibson Europe or something)... But be aware that to spray it you need a temperature controlled room or wait till it gets warmer cos it shouldn't be used at temperatures under 15 degrees or something..

Even though I love using tru oil for my finish.. I have several cans of Nitro from last year which I have to use at some point.. and I will when the summer arrives :)

And if you do want to use it make sure you get a proper face mask and cover your skin up.. that stuff is pretty darn nasty....

this is the place http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/nitrocellulose-lacquer/

Using an off-cut from the main billet, I will be able to form a neck. Unfortunately this piece does not have the dimensions for a one piece LP neck, so this is going to be cut down the plane and form the outer splices of a multi-piece laminated neck; either a 3, 5, or 7 piece. I'm not sure if this will be paired with the body from the same block at this time; it may go towards another project:

IMG_0182.jpg

Another thought for you on this neck blank.. Do you know about the scarf joint method? If you use that the neck could easily be a one piece (apart from obviously the headstock)..

And obviously its up to you how you wanna do it.. just an idea :)

Neck-ScarfJointOptions_zpsbf87a7gt.jpg

scarf_joint_incorrect_zpswrknf3l4.png

Its a fairly widely used technique

Another thought for you on this neck blank.. Do you know about the scarf joint method? If you use that the neck could easily be a one piece (apart from obviously the headstock)..

And obviously its up to you how you wanna do it.. just an idea :)

Its a fairly widely used technique

I know of scarf joints, yeah. From what I've heard they're stable and quite commonly used, even by the big builders like Taylor. However I'm a bit fussy about the look of it; not my thing, which might sound weird! For a one piece head and neck I'd need a 4" x 4" billet to cut into, and the piece I have now 4" x 2". This accommodates the headstock angle on the wide side but not the width, which is why I'm looking at a laminate; put an attractive inlay piece (dad has some spalted beech, for example?).

But I shall bear the scarf joint in mind; it might well come to that!

I know of scarf joints, yeah. From what I've heard they're stable and quite commonly used, even by the big builders like Taylor. However I'm a bit fussy about the look of it; not my thing, which might sound weird! For a one piece head and neck I'd need a 4" x 4" billet to cut into, and the piece I have now 4" x 2". This accommodates the headstock angle on the wide side but not the width, which is why I'm looking at a laminate; put an attractive inlay piece (dad has some spalted beech, for example?).

But I shall bear the scarf joint in mind; it might well come to that!

Well from what I understand.. One of the things Gibsons are quite well known for is headstock breaks.. apparently a scarf joint will make that area stronger and avoid those type of breaks if the guitar is dropped...

I haven't done one myself yet as like you I just prefer the look...

And yes theres nowt wrong with Beech.. I did a beechwood guitar and it turned out really nice.. The neck is a three piece made from Beech and Meranti in the middle.

DSC_0304_zpsjk7dxnha.jpg

you can just about see the meranti strip down the middle here (look near where the head/neck joins)

DSC_0306_zpskay3hp5b.jpg

Well from what I understand.. One of the things Gibsons are quite well known for is headstock breaks.. apparently a scarf joint will make that area stronger and avoid those type of breaks if the guitar is dropped...

I haven't done one myself yet as like you I just prefer the look...

And yes theres nowt wrong with Beech.. I did a beechwood guitar and it turned out really nice.. The neck is a three piece made from Beech and Meranti in the middle.

DSC_0304_zpsjk7dxnha.jpg

you can just about see the meranti strip down the middle here (look near where the head/neck joins)

DSC_0306_zpskay3hp5b.jpg

Very nice builds, Rabs! I've not seen either before. Meranti is something I'm considering using at some point; a nice mahogany substitute.

We shall see how the neck build for this one comes about; it's all up in the air! But we shall have to meet and compare builds at some point; I'm not far from London! [flapper]

Very nice builds, Rabs! I've not seen either before. Meranti is something I'm considering using at some point; a nice mahogany substitute.

We shall see how the neck build for this one comes about; it's all up in the air! But we shall have to meet and compare builds at some point; I'm not far from London! [flapper]

Meranti is ok... Be aware though theres two types... A hard and a softish version.... You can obviously use either type for the body but for the neck youd really need the hard stuff.... You can tell the difference by touch.. the soft stuff is almost fluffy on the surface, the hard meranti is much more like Mahogany...

At the moment my favourite mahogany substitute is Utile (youtilly)... it works like mahogany and often has a really nice grain pattern too it...

Ive done some vids ( I will PM them to you as not to take over your thread :))... even though at the time I had a huge blister on my middle finger so it was hard to play anything much beyond basic chords.. im gonna have to do a some new vids and use my tube amp next time...

And yes it would be cool to compare notes some time.. I should be organising a jam session soon so maybe you can come to that?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Hello to those of you watching this topic; sorry I haven't posted anything since the initial upload, save the convo with Rabs.

I've not been able to get to the workshop recently to do some more work; limited holiday from the employer left this year, and limited funds due to an upcoming stag do in Valencia; a wedding in Kenya; and a trip to Texas.

I'm trying to wrangle some extra holiday time off from the boss, so hopefully I'll be able to spend another day working on it soon! While I've not been in the workshop doing the practical; I've managed to get plenty of planning and research done!

I'm set on this being a 50's build LP, so next week I'm going to get some proper templates from 1 of 2 US companies, which are both based on 50's LP's. At the moment the favourite set is from Bartlett, as it comes with matching blueprints. I'm also going to use the top-carve template provided by ExNihilo, over on the Les Paul Forum. His guide is also proving very valuable, along with the great advice from Rabs so far. These guys know their stuff! [biggrin]

While this is based on a 50's LP; it will have some slight variations on the original. For example; this is going to employ a TonePros NVR-2 bridge. This is a ABR-1 type bridge but has Nashville-style posts and inserts; I feel this will be slightly more stable and long-lasting than an ABR. There are other small things that I will mention in other posts during the build; I shan't bother you with the boring details for now!

I've managed to order a fretboard blank (which has not arrived yet), and will also be ordering a fret slotting jig from a UK company (all subject to me not spending money elsewhere!). I'm going to look into sourcing some more mahogany for a neck with my dad having reviewed some plans for an LP; I know what dimensions I need now, and hopefully dad will be willing to part with some more of his fantastic stock!

I've also been looked into finishing supplies from UK-based Rothko and Frost. It's going to have a solid black top, with a brown-stained back (see images above of the 2 black Gibson Custom LP's).

The other evening I managed to rack up a wishlist with a value north of $2000 on StewMac; so many pretty things...! I must've added half of their product line to the list; some I know to be must-haves, and some just-wanted things.

More to come (hopefully) soon!

Nice...

So a couple of questions.. How do you intend to do a carved top? I mean I know you said there was a template for it, but how will that translate to the method in which you will carve the top?

Ive tried it a couple of times with my angle grinder sanding tool that I use and it was not easy... And so far I haven't done it in a way I was totally happy with yet..

Ive seen a few videos of people doing it by hand using chisels and block planers and stuff.. but man it don't look easy at all...

I wish you the best of luck though and I still say if you are doing something for the first time, test it first on scrap :) it really will help a lot [thumbup]

Also another great wood place ive seen online is this one.. http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/page72/page131/rapidcart-46/ man ohh man they have some nice tops on that page [love] when or if I ever get going fully with my building, I will be investing in some of those nice tops myself.

Nice...

So a couple of questions.. How do you intend to do a carved top? I mean I know you said there was a template for it, but how will that translate to the method in which you will carve the top?

Ive tried it a couple of times with my angle grinder sanding tool that I use and it was not easy... And so far I haven't done it in a way I was totally happy with yet..

Ive seen a few videos of people doing it by hand using chisels and block planers and stuff.. but man it don't look easy at all...

I wish you the best of luck though and I still say if you are doing something for the first time, test it first on scrap :) it really will help a lot [thumbup]

Also another great wood place ive seen online is this one.. http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/page72/page131/rapidcart-46/ man ohh man they have some nice tops on that page [love] when or if I ever get going fully with my building, I will be investing in some of those nice tops myself.

Haha; Rabs I've got my own little wishlist with them already! Very nice pieces of timber, they've got. When you say "...ever get going fully with my building"; what do you mean? Do you have intentions to start it professionally?

The template is made up of several parts, which represent different heights of the carve. It's like each one is a slice through the top carve. The process employs a lot of routing at first; the blocks map out the carve like contours on a map; and the carve is done in routs of 1/16" steps on each level. Then the profile along the top centre (pickups, neck pocket, and bridge) is made to accommodate neck angle. Once done, the 'steps' are smoothed out into the carve using rasps and sanding. I will definitely be doing some test runs of this beforehand [biggrin].

Haha; Rabs I've got my own little wishlist with them already! Very nice pieces of timber, they've got. When you say "...ever get going fully with my building"; what do you mean? Do you have intentions to start it professionally?

The template is made up of several parts, which represent different heights of the carve. It's like each one is a slice through the top carve. The process employs a lot of routing at first; the blocks map out the carve like contours on a map; and the carve is done in routs of 1/16" steps on each level. Then the profile along the top centre (pickups, neck pocket, and bridge) is made to accommodate neck angle. Once done, the 'steps' are smoothed out into the carve using rasps and sanding. I will definitely be doing some test runs of this beforehand [biggrin].

Ahh yes... there are a few vids of that method on youtube... I haven't attempted that yet... So far all my guitars have been flattops..

And yes.. well its a long story... But in short.. I worked in multi media (mostly computer games) for nearly 20 years... I had quit my job to get one that paid more money as I was going to leave the country back then.. That all went pear shaped and I ended up in a job I hated for two years and then I got made redundant (and divorced all at the same time).. I looked for a job for over two years but couldn't get an interview (as by this time I had been out of the industry for several years and we were still in the recession).. So I decided to build a guitar instead of sitting there doing nothing with my life... (the almost famous turn a door into a guitar thread which you can see here if you want (but its well long) http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/94643-my-new-project-turn-a-door-into-a-guitar/)

And after a while I thought to myself why not try and just do this for a job.. I was in a position where I had to re-train anyway so why not try and so something I love.. And here I am :)

Still not quite ready to go full scale. But nearly there. And I had to teach myself everything from scratch.. I had no wood working experience or anyone I knew who did it for a living.. So its been a LONG process for me.. but im so close now.

Ahh yes... there are a few vids of that method on youtube... I haven't attempted that yet... So far all my guitars have been flattops..

And yes.. well its a long story... But in short.. I worked in multi media (mostly computer games) for nearly 20 years... I had quit my job to get one that paid more money as I was going to leave the country back then.. That all went pear shaped and I ended up in a job I hated for two years and then I got made redundant (and divorced all at the same time).. I looked for a job for over two years but couldn't get an interview (as by this time I had been out of the industry for several years and we were still in the recession).. So I decided to build a guitar instead of sitting there doing nothing with my life... (the almost famous turn a door into a guitar thread which you can see here if you want (but its well long) http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/94643-my-new-project-turn-a-door-into-a-guitar/)

And after a while I thought to myself why not try and just do this for a job.. I was in a position where I had to re-train anyway so why not try and so something I love.. And here I am :)

Still not quite ready to go full scale. But nearly there. And I had to teach myself everything from scratch.. I had no wood working experience or anyone I knew who did it for a living.. So its been a LONG process for me.. but im so close now.

Give me a little while to scratch up the skills, and I'll join you! UK Luthiers extraordinaire! If money were no object I would sit in a workshop all day, making things.

Sorry to hear about your rough patch; I can't imagine it to have been a good time, but I'm glad something productive came of it.

I'm looking forward to doing a dish carve; it ought to be exciting. The dish carve is one of the most attractive bits of woodworking I know of. I've also go ideas of making my own design archtop in a similar way.

I have a list of designs and builds I want to do; a few Lesters, a few of my own.

Nothing like what you're doing, but this is my recently completed Bulldog;

Picture%202_zpstaj5l8z3.jpg

Picture%201_zpsedvgkwf2.jpg

Had a blast putting it together...hope this inspires you to do a much more challenging build than a set-neck kit off ebay...

Nothing like what you're doing, but this is my recently completed Bulldog;

Picture%202_zpstaj5l8z3.jpg

Picture%201_zpsedvgkwf2.jpg

Had a blast putting it together...hope this inspires you to do a much more challenging build than a set-neck kit off ebay...

Nice build, Matiac! What did you use for it? Plans or templates? Considered getting a kit on numerous occasions, but with a full-build I get to choose what it is, in it's entirety.

Can't quite make it out from the photos and this screen; is it a goldtop?

I ordered the guitar hull from an outfit called 'Bulldog Guitars' outta Ohio, and had the pickups made to my spec from www.manliusguitars.com, base model is called 'Landmark PAF', and while the original plan was to put those in the Bulldog, they wound up in my Elitist instead (long story)

Image03272015191844_zpsgdjyexuo.jpg

then I took the Epiphone pickups, and installed those in the Bulldog, and what sounded decent in the Epiphone, absolutely BARK in this build, and with a (as close as I could get) '50's wiring setup, complete the guts. But the guitar went together without too many 'burps', and after coloring with different shades of Minwax Stain, finished it with Formby's High Gloss Tung Oil, and it really adds a vintage vibe to the guitar, the top is pretty close to Lemondrop, and where the Epiphone sounds ok unplugged, this build actually vibrates when you strike the strings...I've only had that happen in one other guitar I used to own, and it wasn't a Gibson, and now that I can compare, wood DOES make a difference in the signal sent to the amp, the Bulldog has a nice, throaty tone amp-ed, and it's ideal for Classic Rock, Blues, Southern Funk, which are my 3 main influences, and after tallying up total cost just in materials, came just under a brand new Epiphone for cost...AND it's my first attempt at anything like this, so I think it turned out pretty nice, not tooting my own horn or anything, but I went into the project with quite a bit of trepidation...

Peghead%20Logo_zpsvzzpdvzv.jpg

Archived