Gibson Brands Forums

HSC care and Maintenance

kelly campbell

Hello I apologize if this question has been thrown out here before but I did not see it. My question is what do you use on the Gibson or Epiphone hard case to not only clean but put a nice polished look on it and protect it? Armor All ? car wax ?? I have no clue. Do you treat it like you would the interior of your car?? Thanks for the info.

Hello!

I have been recently experimenting with the cleaning of the case lining with quite satisfying results.

Check it out here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/121222-case-interior-cleaning/

Please note, this method will remove mild/moderate stains. Stubborn ones need something else. But I am rather scared of using agressive detergents on the lining of the case that contacts with the nitro-cellulose lacquer on my instruments.

For exterior, I have been using beeswax balsam for years. Natural, and completely harmless. Avoid anything that contains silicone - it's among the things that are not friendly to nitro-cellulose finished guitars, on the long run.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

I have been recently experimenting with the cleaning of the case lining with quite satisfying results.

Check it out here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/121222-case-interior-cleaning/

Please note, this method will remove mild/moderate stains. Stubborn ones need something else. But I am rather scared of using agressive detergents on the lining of the case that contacts with the nitro-cellulose lacquer on my instruments.

For exterior, I have been using beeswax balsam for years. Natural, and completely harmless. Avoid anything that contains silicone - it's among the things that are not friendly to nitro-cellulose finished guitars, on the long run.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the info..

• 4 weeks later...

It never occurred to me to clean the outside of a guitar case. All my cases have synthetic exteriors except for an ancient (50's?) Fender flight case which is leather.

For some plastics soapy water would be fine. For (black) Vinyls a car product such as Back-to-Black would get rid of scuff marks I think.

I have taken to using a clean cloth to cover the strings when the guitar is in the case. Thats where most of the muck collects. A long (25" minimum) microfibre or glass cloth will separate the strings from the case interior and help to keep both clean.

I do wipe down my strings after use, but this doesnt get rid of all the oil on the strings (I have an oily skin). Nor do I want it to, its plays nicer with slightly slick strings.

Archived