Gibson Brands Forums

1959 melody maker

manny

could pick this up for about $1200. Some of friends that know a few things, say I should look for a doucle cut 2 pu version from early 60's. Say they are better and hold value better. What do you all think?

Gibson%20mm%20tuners_zpszrrewf6i.jpg

Gobson%20mm%20back_zpshns3h6no.jpg

Gibson%20MM%20front%202_zpsywbvvxkc.jpg

Hi Manny. I have a 1961 DC single p/u version and they are a fun little guitar.

Your friends may be right in regards playing the guitar as 2 pups obviously give more options. On the other hand I think from a historical interest/ investment ( albeit small time) this one is the best to go for.

If it was my money I'd take this one over a DC 2 p/u model if it's for collecting, but maybe the other if for gigging. Nice find [thumbup]

It wouldn't be for gigging. I am a crappy guitar player anyway lol. It would be just for the historical/investment aspect. I know that it would never be a million dollar guitar. I am trying to turn some of my "newer gear" into vintage gear. Right now I have the offer of a '73 super reverb and cash, that he would take. I do love that super reverb though. The tuners on this one are a little mangled, I wonder if they can be straightened out. It was the 3/4 size really that my buddies said even $1200 was too much.

It wouldn't be for gigging. I am a crappy guitar player anyway lol. It would be just for the historical/investment aspect. I know that it would never be a million dollar guitar. I am trying to turn some of my "newer gear" into vintage gear. Right now I have the offer of a '73 super reverb and cash, that he would take. I do love that super reverb though. The tuners on this one are a little mangled, I wonder if they can be straightened out. It was the 3/4 size really that my buddies said even $1200 was too much.

Here's a reference guide and links to similar examples.

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/7113-gibson-melody-maker-3-4-1959-sunburst

The 3/4 size will impact value usually compared to full size but your not talking big $ here in that regard either way. $800-$1000 would be easier to rationalise. Also, if it needs refret + nut = $400.

I guess it might be more of a question of how does it compare for what you want to do versus a few year old similar priced 2nd hand Strat or SG or whatever... (or a '73 Super Reverb for that matter).

All the best!

thanks for the Reverb link, havent been there before. I will see what happens, I like it but am not willing to over pay, can't afford to over pay that is. Still wondering if those tuning pegs could successfully be straightened? I have lots of guitars as it is now, I am looking at vintage stuff that wont break my pocketbook, but are kinda cool.

• 3 years later...

this model could be a 60s and not a 59 the double cutaway started in mid to early 60s the 59s had a single cut away also, but was called the les paul jr.

GIB has a site --google-- GIBSON DATERS PROJECT site this will help you identify year by numbers on back of head stock.

the double cutaway started in mid to early 60s

? What does "mid to early" even mean? Find a good source of information on vintage Gibsons. The double cutaway on this model appeared in 1961.

the 59s had a single cut away also, but was called the les paul jr.

Those were two different models.

GIB has a site --google-- GIBSON DATERS PROJECT site this will help you identify year by numbers on back of head stock.

Those online "dater project" sites are notorious for producing bad results. Gibson's serial numbering system was messed up back in the day, but you can still find better sources than those dater project sites. Here's one that's more reliable: http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html#serial