Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Numbers For 2014 Les Paul Standards.

ajay

I have a guy offering me a great deal OM a 2014 Les Paul Standard. It's Brilliant Red, and it has had the Pickguard installed. My first question, Is the Pickguard installed at the factory?

Second question, with all of the Chibsons out there, how would a proper 2014 Serial Number read? Also, if anyone knows I'd like to know the Serial Numbers from Start to Finish in 2014.

I intend to pull the large plate off of the back to make sure that the electronics are all Plug In. Anything else to look for that would make it absolutely a non-Chibsons 2014

check this link for serial number decoding.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/Gibson%20Serial%20Numbers/

But, that's probably not the best way to spot a fake because they can easily sort that out and put a valid looking serial #.

I'm not sure about the pickguard, .. I think they are installed.. but someone can shout that out if I'm wrong.

For spotting a turd, you want to visually see a few things...

The most common..

the truss rod should NOT be anything but a hex bolt, (if it's an Allen wrench, it's wrong)

you should never see a scarf joint on the back of the neck - NEVER!,

You would want to pull the pickups out to make sure they don't say something like "Epiphone"...

and above all.. when in doubt,,,,,,,, great deal or not walk away.

1434116876[/url]' post='1666470']

Are there Chibsons with 120 inlay on 12th fret? I don't know for sure but I doubt it.

It does have the 120th inlay. What is a scarf joint. Sorry I'm so stupid. He said that he got it at Sweetwater, so the receipt should be pretty good evidence I would think. I was thinking that the electronics bay should be all plugs and no solder. I planned to remove that cover.

Are the electronics on the back identical to the Elevtronics on my 2014 LPG? I assume tht they would use the same printed circuit board, Correct?

For 2014 the USA serials start with "14" followed by seven numbers - 14RRRRRRR where "RRRRRRR" is the rolling production count (no production date is encoded).

A two piece neck is usually put together with a neck scarf joint - a long angle joint can be seen around the area behind the 1st/2nd fret. Gibson doesn't use a scarf joint - Gibson necks are made from a single piece of wood. Of course you can only see the joint on guitars that don't have a painted finish.

DSC02767.jpg

Thanks for the great Scarf Joint illustration and the other tips. I hav yet to see a Chibson with a printed circuit board. Is that another sure thing, or have they made that progression. I though that i showed just how crooked the Stock Exchanges are when they allowed "AliBaba.Com" to list on he exchange. You cn buy ny counterfeit and Black Market itms that You want there, including counterfeit U.S. coins. They'll do anything to make a buck. I miss the old days when You opened up the case, an if a Les Paul was in there You looked for scratches and started bartering. I'm almost 60, and this will be th last guitar I buy. (Wait. That's what I said last week!)

I took the deal. It turned out to be a Les Paul Peace with the knobs and tailpiece switched. No PCB, but very tidy wiring, and it's Peaceful Orange, which I like better than the Brilliant Red it looked like in the pictures. It has a real nice set-up, and the tone is really great.

I traded an Advanced Jumbo for the Peace and brand new Roland 40 GX. i'm happy with the deal considering the money that Advanced Jumbos aren't bringing these days. A lot of guys are selling them for $1500 or less, so I'm happy enough with the deal. My EIR AJ was really nice though. I do still have a Brazilian AJ, so I didn't really need the one that I traded. Thanks for the tips everybody. I'll post a picture when it quits raining.

I have looked it over, and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to restore a few of the Hippie Motifs that have been removed from my Les Paul "Peace". I think that I'm going to just enjoy the beautiful and unique color. It is growing on me fast. Plus, I already had a Roland Microcube Bass Amp, which is cool because it runs for 13 hours on 6-AA batteries. The Roland Cube that he threw in is a real-honest-to-God Guitar Amp. I'm ready to do some recording with my arsenal of 2 Les Pauls, A Gibson EB0 Bass, a nice Advanced Jumbo, my 1968 Kalamazoo KG-10 Acoustic, my American Fender Strat, and my Dad's 1937 Dobro Model 37. I am now finished acquiring guitars, and now it's time to break out the Microphone and get to it.

There is one pedal that I absolutely must have. Go on YouTube and check out the Electro Harmonix Pitch-Fork. That pedal is an amazing piece of hardware. Anyone recording an album OF Yourself BY Yourself can make great use of the Pitch-Fork That one pedal can turn one guitar into an absolute ORCHESTRA. It's better than any synth equipment for guitar that I've heard, Plus, the exploration of sounds that You can make would be a blast. I think that it's the best $150 that You can spend on Your sound. Definitely check it out.

Thank You. It sounded awesome through that little 40 watt Roland Cube. I have a really old tweed Gibson 5A tube amp that my Brother bought used back in the Mid-Sixties. I have to get down to his place and replace some tubes. I think that my LPJ and my Peace will sound great through those hot tubes. I can't wait to jam on that amp. I had two smooth, successful transactions on Craigslist in one week (and gained two nice Les Pauls!) It's hard to believe, but Craigslist is not as full of crooks as it was for a while. I have everything that I need except for my Pitch Fork. Now it's Jammin' Time!I don't know why, but all of a sudden I can't get any pictures loaded. Maybe I reached the limit or something!

I fought for the case, but He said that his 60's Les Paul needed it. I saw what they go for, and I should have fought harder. It has '61 pickups with chrome covers. I told him that I had n LPJ with '61's. I looks just like Gibson's wiring on the Traditionals It has an awesome Top on it, and the light Orange is growing on me. The Roland Amp with 40 watts and 1-10" speaker gives me a lot more options than the Roland Micro Cub Bass Amp that I have been using (I played bass before learning guitar, and I still have my Melody Maker Bass that I bought in '72.) This fancy Les Paul does sound quite.a bit hotter than my 2014 LPJ. All in all I'm Happy with the trade. I'll be happier when I have the parts and documentation. The wiring is so clean, and the Gibson pots are mounted on a metal plate like Gibson's "our Wiring" example in their "how to determin if You have a Chibson" page. It does have the 120th inlay, but You can buy stripped 2014 Gibson bodies with necks for. project guitar in "Peaceful Orange". All in all, it's. really cool LP. I still can't get Phootobucket to work. I deleted a bunch of pictures last night, an it worked fine until I did that. I may hav to open a new account. Pictures to follow ASAP.

I think I'm going to name it "Pops" both for Popsicles, and a tribute to my Dad, who I lost to a motorcycle accident in 1978.

The action was so low on my Peace, named "Fred", that I took it to the local music store. The action was very low, and the good thing is that even with the strings about 2/64ths off of the frets, there was no fret buzz, so the neck is really straight. It was just too flat, so a few cranks on the truss Rod, and he had the action up where I liked it. I could barely get any harmonics going, so now I have some room to let them ring. Harmonics are sort of weak at the fifth, so I suspect a little intonation adjustment is necessary. I think that the very flat frets are a testament to Gibson's PLEK machine.The hand wiring on Fred make him a whole different animal from my 2014 LPJ. Definitely has a lot hotter sound even at lower gain. I like this guitar. I named it Fred because it looks like an Orange Swirl bowling ball, and Fred Flintstone loved to go bowling, thus...Fred!

I borrowed a Strobe tuner from a friend, and set the intonation, Now the fifth fret harmonics hit well, right over the fret. I just needed to move the saddles around a bit. A small adjustment made a big difference.

Guest Farnsbarns

I borrowed a Strobe tuner from a friend, and set the intonation, Now the fifth fret harmonics hit well, right over the fret. I just needed to move the saddles around a bit. A small adjustment made a big difference.

Just to check... You know that the 5th fret harmonics shouldn't actually be exactly over the 5th fret and that you shouldn't use them to measure intonation right?

Archived