Gibson Brands Forums

SG volume issues

Natedog_37

Playing a 2012 SG speccial. Is my #1 axe play it all the time, but the issue I am having is the volume is full on, or off there really is no between. I would like it if I could have more control over the volume with a more control slowly rolling up the volume etc.

Any one have this issue, and if so what did you do to fix it.

I have been thinking about changing out all the gear and putting in a set of Seymour Duncan I have and chance everything at the same time.

Been the only guitarist in the band so I really noticed it the last year or so. I would say though thinking back it has always been like this just never really used the Volume since I use to play though a GNX pedal which had volume control.

I know I need to get in and clean the pots there starting to get scratchy.

Before you go to all the trouble, and expense, of changing out pots, switches, and pickups,

try spraying (carefully) some electrical contact cleaner, on the pot shafts, and the switch

contacts. That' often cures the problem, and is all you need to do. IF it doesn't, then

you can think about the other, way more expensive, alternative. And, if you do that, change

the toggle switch FIRST! That sounds like where the main problem is. But, try the cleaner!

Good Luck!

CB

Just occurred to me to mention this, and I suppose that probably are doing this already.

the control setup for SGs, (and LPs, aka dual humbucker gibby's, with volume and tone for each pup) will react differently based on where you have the selector switch set.

so make sure, when you are testing your volumes and tones, that you are in either the Bridge, (bottom Volume, bottom tone) or Neck selector position (top volume, top tone)

the Middle position is the Blend setting where both pickups and both pickups controls are active. The over all volume will not alter audibly all that much until you "get" to zero on either volume pot, then it shuts off both pups. (That is standard wiring for LPs and SGs and any other dual 'bucker, with separate volume & tones.)

I just swapped the dirty fingers set out of 70's tribute wit a 57 classic and classic plus set and experienced the same issue you are having, I had read online of others having the same issue with newer sets of the 57's and ws getting ready to swap out the pups for some Lollars. Before doing so my Luthier suggested what I think he called a treble bleed cap as another avenue to explore before laying out more cash. It cost nothing and it fixed the issues completely! Good luck

ny suggestion would be first to try the cleaner... easiest, and cheapest. don't squirt it on the finish!

DeOxit with tube pointed right inside the opening of the volume pot.

WD-40 might also help, in the same way.

While you're looking around in the cavity, check to see if your guitar has a PCB board in there,

or if it's wired in the traditional way. My 2012 SG has no PCB, but some of them do.

My next suggestion would be to replace only the volume pots if you have no PCB board... which makes it

easier to change individual components.

If you have a PCB board, then just replace the whole wiring harness with good quality parts

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Wiring_Kits/

from StewMac you can get kits where you solder it yourself and also pre-wired kits which are more expensive

but require only a couple of solder joints to be done by you.

I'd replace the wiring harness before changing the pickups... once again it's the least expensive way to go

and it's good to get rid of a PCB if you have one. From Gibson's point of view, the Printed Circuit board may

help them keep costs down, but from the player's point of view I don't see any advantage. Those things work

well, but if/when something fails, just pull it out and install traditional wiring IMHO.

Remember that if you install CTS pots, you'll likely need to get new knobs to fit those shafts, StewMac covers this

issue and gives complete measurements and specs on parts they sell.

Your stock pickups should work well with a new wiring setup, the only reason to change the pickups is if

you want something different, and you already own the Duncans, and like that sound. Good luck!

ny suggestion would be first to try the cleaner... easiest, and cheapest. don't squirt it on the finish!

DeOxit with tube pointed right inside the opening of the volume pot.

WD-40 might also help, in the same way.

Never, ever, NEVER use WD-40 for anything electrical.

DeOxit is good stuff, but it's a good idea to read the can and make sure it's good to use on pots. There is one kind that will make the swiper on the pots dry out and more abrasive, and it will wear out faster.

Sorry for the late reply had a sick kid that then got me sick.

Bought some cleaner so going to try that first.

I will say I do hear noise when switching from Lead to rhythm.

I will post pics not sure I seen a PCB board.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Never, ever, NEVER use WD-40 for anything electrical.

DeOxit is good stuff, but it's a good idea to read the can and make sure it's good to use on pots. There is one kind that will make the swiper on the pots dry out and more abrasive, and it will wear out faster.

There is also a DeOxit that is great for cleaning carbon deposits. Definitely DO NOT USE IT! The potentiometers are carbon film. So therefore if you use a contact cleaner that removes carbon deposits it will remove the carbon film in the pot. They won't work very well after. I once used that **** to clean a girlfriends pots on her TV. The next morning all the knobs fell right off, the contact cleaner dissolved the plastic shafts. I read the label afterwards. That stuff is for cleaning electrical contractors (big electrical switches) So in short, read the label & get the right stuff.

Archived