Gibson Brands Forums

Sold my J45...now what?

sbpark

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised you liked the SJ. Should be pretty much the same as a J-45, just different decoration, right? If you hadn't owned a J-45 and found it dull and lifeless, I would blame the strings. But you tried to even that out as well.

J-45s are quite thumpy. J-15s are, too, but the walnut gives it a little more spank, or something. Or you could try to find a J-45 with maple back and sides, or try one with rosewood... Or maybe look into different short-scales, like a Nick Lucas (!) in maple, or a J-185 (now we're talking).

Or... you could look at other brands... meh.

The SJ maybe more decorative, but what the sbpark is talking about here is exactly what we've discussed on here many times, two guitars that look the same may not sound the same. I've played a couple of J45's myself that sounded lifeless and just not worth the price tag attached. I've also played Hummingbirds, Martin D28's which were the same. Just didn't do it for me.

I watched a short video a while back of Richard Hoover at Santa Cruz guitars. He had two pieces of soundboard ready to be shaped. They looked identical. I believe cut from the same piece of a the same tree. Holding them it the very edge of one corner with finger and thumb he tapped them in different places. quite a difference in sound. (I have to say they are very nice looking and playing guitars)

Out of interest sbpark,do the SJ's you've been trying have the custom shop logo on the back? It seems that Gibson only produce the SJ's now via the CS and they are harder to find. (price went up as well). Does the Montana custom shop have access to 'better' pieces of wood I wonder?

I've added a pic of mine, just to help you decide [smile]

Gibson%20Southern%20Jumbo_zpsfct9zo9h.jpg

I'm surprised you liked the SJ. Should be pretty much the same as a J-45, just different decoration, right? If you hadn't owned a J-45 and found it dull and lifeless, I would blame the strings. But you tried to even that out as well.

J-45s are quite thumpy. J-15s are, too, but the walnut gives it a little more spank, or something. Or you could try to find a J-45 with maple back and sides, or try one with rosewood... Or maybe look into different short-scales, like a Nick Lucas (!) in maple, or a J-185 (now we're talking).

Or... you could look at other brands... meh.

I'm not sure why you're surprised that I like the SJ. Makes perfect sense to me if someone likes the sound of J45's they would naturally like SJ's as well as far as how they sound. I mean, it's the same exact guitar under the hood. I never said I didn't like J45's, I said that the one I had for a couple of years wasn't floating my boat despite trying different strings, string gauges, alloys, saddle materials, etc, but that during and since have played J45's and SJ's that I liked. I think you're confusing my not liking one example of J45 with not liking all J45's, which is not the case. The fact that a particular SJ floated my boat more recently than the J45's I played just happened to be coincidence. It could have easily been a J45. Just luck of the draw here.

I wonder what it was....

The suspense! I watched this really interesting video that really resonated with me. Never heard of the guy before. Zager guitars. They are incredible! I got one of those. Such sweet instruments with tone for days, and the playability is UH-MAY-ZING! (Or maybe I got something else...) Standby for a NGD thread. It's apparently a guitar from the future (2017).

Archived