Gibson Brands Forums

R7 or R8 or 2016 58 custom shop

spender81

I new to the world of les paul guitars, i want to buy a R7/R8 or 58 custom shop or what ever they are called, i can´t keep track of all these different models..

I´ve seen R8´s from as early as the late 90´s? any good or should i just grab a new 2016 58 custom from my local dealer.. I once tried a 2013 R7 and i was impressed..

I would not buy one sight unseen. The finish on these can be all over the place, literally. I have a 2013 58 VOS and it is a great guitar however when I bought it, I saw plenty of 2014s that looked bad because of smears.

I new to the world of les paul guitars, i want to buy a R7/R8 or 58 custom shop or what ever they are called, i can´t keep track of all these different models..

I´ve seen R8´s from as early as the late 90´s? any good or should i just grab a new 2016 58 custom from my local dealer.. I once tried a 2013 R7 and i was impressed..

I'm puzzled. You said before you had a 1976 Les Paul. [confused]

They go by different names, but they're all the same thing. R8, CS8, '58 reissue, '58 historic, etc.

Given the expense behind them, even a used model; don't buy before you try.

You get options with newer historic reissues, such as choosing from the Standard Historic range, or the True Historic range. The Standard Historic range is comparable to reissues that have been going since the '90s, whereas the True Historic range are a 'step above' in terms of attention to detail; these are made with reportedly more-accurate techniques and parts.

The Standard Historic range then gives you numerous colour finish options, available in both full gloss or VOS specification.

The True Historic range also then gives you fewer colour finish options as standard, available in both full gloss, VOS, aged, and Murphy aged.

You can spend a fair amount of 4 or 5 thousand USD for a SH, whereas the TH guitars start at around 5K and I've seen some Murphy aged specials going for as much as 9K.

Something that's definitely worth looking into in great detail; shop around, play as many as you can, and see what you end up with.

I new to the world of les paul guitars, i want to buy a R7/R8 or 58 custom shop or what ever they are called...
I'm puzzled. You said before you had a 1976 Les Paul. [confused]...

Yup. Two days earlier he/she posted this;

I´ve just sold my 1976 les paul standard...

Some clarification would be nice.

Over to you, spender.

Pip.

Archived