Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan, the old man

livemusic

I was surprised as all get out when I learned it was Dylan and not Bruce Langhorne playing "Don't Think Twice It's Altight." That song alone would dispel any notion that Dylan is not one heck of a guitar player.

I have only seen Dylan twice. The first time was 1966. The first set was acoustic and the second electric. Funny but one of my most distinct memories of that show was the cop who stood below center stage with his legs spread and thumping his nightstick in his hand. The second time was 2010. At the second show Dylan played very little guitar sticking mostly with keyboards.

I see Dylan very much as an up'n'down player and you'll never know where he's gonna be.

A fine travis-picker as a young man, then got tired of that, turning into a more and more frantic strummer.

But does anyone recall the totally cool downrite offensive acoustic performance on Buckets of Rain from the 1975 Blood on the Tracks LP.

Fantastic - unique, , , hope he did it himself, sounds like it.

Regarding the concert-clip of Hattie Carrol - are we sure it's a recent recording.

Big Dylan fan myself. His ‘old man’ phase is a mixture of awful and magic

Hope you don’t mind but being a fan of that song I’d like to share this version

Everyone covers Dylan but only a handful do it justice

"His ‘old man’ phase is a mixture of awful and magic"...this is such an apt comment.I've seen him a few times and the last couple were in Old Man phase.Just playing keyboards. BBG's comment is spot on.One bit of magic was a "Ballad of a thin man" delivered with melody and scorn...and in tune!

But like Livemusic says - the body language is fascinating.Had binoculars on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Dylan fan myself. His ‘old man’ phase is a mixture of awful and magic

Hope you don’t mind but being a fan of that song I’d like to share this version

Everyone covers Dylan but only a handful do it justice

Thanks so much for that, BBG! How awesome. Great cover.

In 99, I saw Dylan with the Brian Setzer Orchestra. When Dylan performed, he did not seem in good health. He sat and played his guitar, but he was very hard to understand (more than usual). I respect his artistry and song writing, but I couldn't really get into his singing.

Archived