Gibson Brands Forums

Checking In Lacquer

Victory Pete

I have just noticed some "internal" checking in the lacquer on my 1998 HD-28. I never expose it to any cold. It is just under the area my arm rubs on while strumming. I wonder if this is caused from many years of my arm rubbing and hitting this area. It is not on the surface but embedded down under the surface

The only checking I've experienced has been due to sudden humidity increases on a 64 LG1. So, not nitro. It was '40+' years old at the time, had zero checking - which then appeared after a couple of days of the event.

So I avoid taking my guitars for long, romantic walks in the rain now.

It might help if you would stop storing your guitar in the freezer.

I do think a lot of it has to do with the plasticizing alykds by weight Gibson and others use in their lacquer these days which will impact how hard the finish is and how long it takes to cure. While I do not know for sure, it is possible that Gibson wants to get a quicker drying thinner and harder finish. This might result in making the guitars more susceptible to crazing. Then again, I could be on puppy chow for all I know.

I do know when the repair guitar who restored the finish on one of my guitars shot a very thin hard coat of lacquer. In this case it was by design as he wanted the finish to start aging quickly to catch up with the rest of the guitar. Within one year the finish looked liked a spider web.

Archived