Gibson Guitar Board: 2014 120th anniversary vs more recent models - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2014 120th anniversary vs more recent models

#1 User is offline   vaxxine 

• Group: Members
  • LocationGrimsby, Ontario

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

There's a used 120th anniversary model available locally. Is there anything really special about it to make it worth going after versus getting something from the 2016 - 2018 line up ? It is the same priced (used) as a new 2017 Standard in the store.

Thanks in advance

Phil
'96 Epi Sorrento '98 Epi Zephyr Regent '04 Epi Elitist Byrdland

#2 User is offline   Johnny 6 String 

• Just one of the boys...
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

View Postvaxxine, on 14 November 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

There's a used 120th anniversary model available locally. Is there anything really special about it to make it worth going after versus getting something from the 2016 - 2018 line up ? It is the same priced (used) as a new 2017 Standard in the store.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Hi Phil;

It'll have the anniversary inlay at the 12th and should have the '61 zebra coils which were only available in these models. I've been personally gassing for one for a while and keep watching my local listings, hoping the deal and my $ align, they always seem to come up while I'm other wise committed. However, these options will never ever make this worth the same as a standard. People can ask whatever they want, wont always get it. Personally I think $600 max used for one of these (Canadian $) in minty shape.

Johnny

#3 User is offline   vaxxine 

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

View PostJohnny 6 String, on 14 November 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

Hi Phil;

It'll have the anniversary inlay at the 12th and should have the '61 zebra coils which were only available in these models. I've been personally gassing for one for a while and keep watching my local listings, hoping the deal and my $ align, they always seem to come up while I'm other wise committed. However, these options will never ever make this worth the same as a standard. People can ask whatever they want, wont always get it. Personally I think $600 max used for one of these (Canadian $) in minty shape.

Johnny

Johnny

They wanted somewhere around $1500 for the 2014 120th Anniversary. And about the same for a new 2017 Standard. I'm not experienced at recognizing all the little things that affect the price of these guitars. Both of these had covered humbuckers, high gloss cherry finish, and from what I could tell - 2 piece bodies. But $1500 is a long way from the $600 you're suggesting. There must be something else to account for the price difference. I would also say that the 2014 120th Anniversary model had quite a different neck profile compared with the new 2017.

Thanks for your reply BTW.

Phil

#4 User is offline   Johnny 6 String 

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

View Postvaxxine, on 15 November 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

Johnny

They wanted somewhere around $1500 for the 2014 120th Anniversary. And about the same for a new 2017 Standard. I'm not experienced at recognizing all the little things that affect the price of these guitars. Both of these had covered humbuckers, high gloss cherry finish, and from what I could tell - 2 piece bodies. But $1500 is a long way from the $600 you're suggesting. There must be something else to account for the price difference. I would also say that the 2014 120th Anniversary model had quite a different neck profile compared with the new 2017.

Thanks for your reply BTW.

Phil

Ah wait I think I see....

I was thinking this one
http://www.theguitar...rst-satin-sold-[2]-5430-p.jpg

And from your most recent post I think you are talking this one
https://images-na.ss...41zt4CjcQOL.jpg

So different pups with covers and gloss finish.
If I recall correctly (in Canada) the first one retailed around 800 and now I see them on the resell sites around 600, the second one (which I think is what you're looking at) retailed around 1100 and I see them around 8 Standards were around 1600 and i see them for 1200 all day.

Not sure where you're at and how prices compare, but I just don't see the anniversary being worth that much, yeah the inlay is only on the 14 and maybe you just gotta have it, but Gibson made a ton of guitars in 2014 and I'm willing to bet you can find a better deal. If the inlay isn't a big deal the 17 is fairly priced as long as its a player.

Johnny

#5 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

2014 SG Standards were excellent guitars and they had coil tapping, something that the SG Standards for 2018 don’t have. I wouldn’t pay over $900 US for a used one.

#6 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

2013 , 2014 and 2015 SGs Standard are build like '61 RI and they are great Gibson guitars

:rolleyes:
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   vaxxine 

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

The guitar in this link is just like the one at the local Long and Mcquade store. I have no special interest in the fact that it's a 120th anniversary model; The guitar happens to be there as a used model and I didn't know if there was anything really special about it or not, hence my questions. I've never fallen for this limited edition/collectible hype. From what I see from the replies here, it is a somewhat desirable guitar but over-priced at nearly $1500 Canadian (about $1150 US).

My link

#8 User is offline   Johnny 6 String 

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

View Postvaxxine, on 16 November 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

Thanks for the info guys.

The guitar in this link is just like the one at the local Long and Mcquade store. I have no special interest in the fact that it's a 120th anniversary model; The guitar happens to be there as a used model and I didn't know if there was anything really special about it or not, hence my questions. I've never fallen for this limited edition/collectible hype. From what I see from the replies here, it is a somewhat desirable guitar but over-priced at nearly $1500 Canadian (about $1150 US).

My link

Well the guitar in your link, despite the name special in the add, it sure looks like a standard to me. If you click the second link in my previous post you will see the special. There are notable differences, like neck binding, trap inlays vs dots, etc. If its used at a L&M I'd make an offer, bet they take less, I've managed to get them to meet me in the middle more than once.

Johnny

#9 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:17 AM

Yes, the Special has the same shape than a standard Standard
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic