Gibson Brands Forums

Mojo Tone "Quiet Coil P-90's"

charlie brown

Hi Boys and Girls,

This weekend, I had some Mojo Tone "Quiet Coil" P-90's installed in my TV Yellow LP Special, below.

QkSw4W8.jpg

Of course, it looks exactly the same, and sounds the same, as well, except there's no 60-cyle hum, now! [thumbup] \:D/ [biggrin]

And, I finally got a chance to test it, with those new Noiseless P-90's, against my Double Cut Junior Lite's,

with their stock (and much maligned, by some) P-100's. The Mojo Tone do deliver the P-90 mid-range quack,

growl, alright. And, they're quiet, like the P-100's! But, with everything the same...amp settings, and

OD pedal(s) settings, just going back and forth, I've confirmed (to myself, at least), that I STILL like

the P-100's FOR their slight differences. Especially, overdriven. The Mojo Tone's are Great, and they

retained all the characteristics I expected, even overdriven. The P-100's, however, actually sounded "Heavier,"

in a good way, with the same OD and Amp settings. Not "better," or "worse," just different! I had initially

thought, that if the Mojo Tone noiseless P-90's did all they advertised, and what I had heard in Demo's,

which they certainly did, that I might put them in the LP Jr. Lite's as well. But, after testing them side

by side, I've decided to keep the stock P-100's, in the Jr Lite's, and just enjoy the sonic differences,

after all.

Anyway, just wanted to share that bit of that "Ah Ha," with other's here, that might be interested(?). [biggrin]

That's all...you may return to your previous scheduled program.

CB

Nice Les Paul Special DC, good information on comparing the Mojo Tone "Quiet Coil" P-90's to the P-100's..

I have a Faded Les Paul Special DC That I installed GFS KPP11 and KPP12 Vintage matched set P-90's. Not noiseless but the neck pickup has a reverse wound coil so that you get hum cancelling when the selector switch is in mid position. They also get a good P-90 squawk.

In my Epi Junior DC single pickup I installed a Kent Armstrong Noiseless P-90 that the 60 cycle hum is nonexistent and gets a good p-90 sound. The gain is down a tiny bit but with overdrives on there is still very little 60 cycle hum.

My Blueshawk with its hidden hum cancelling coil started me on this quest for reducing line noise on my P-90 guitars, I have given up mud-buckers and only use P-90's now. [thumbup]

Archived