Gibson Brands Forums

Recording Of My Cargill Custom 00

BluesKing777

I recorded my version of "Kindhearted Woman" by Robert Johnson playing my Cargill custom deep body 00 with its brand new K&K Mini pickup (just back from my luthier's) run through my Tonedexter. Vocal with my Neumann KM184. Fabulous guitar with a fabulous pickup now!

Some new photos:

y3wucE9h.jpg

J5nDrDrh.jpg

27KQGdFh.jpg

Uxr88xKh.jpg

RurvSeoh.jpg

BluesKing777.

I recorded my version of "Kindhearted Woman" by Robert Johnson playing my Cargill custom deep body 00 with its brand new K&K Mini pickup (just back from my luthier's) run through my Tonedexter. Vocal with my Neumann KM184. Fabulous guitar with a fabulous pickup now!

Some new photos:

y3wucE9h.jpg

J5nDrDrh.jpg

27KQGdFh.jpg

Uxr88xKh.jpg

RurvSeoh.jpg

BluesKing777.

BluesKing777, Your song, and the Cargill were great as usual. After listening to a lot of your music, recorded on various guitars which are sporting K&K's installed in them, I have been convinced that Fishman's can't compete with them. My biggest problem at this moment, I am struggling for words to describe that Cargill wide body 00, the best I can do is to say is that it shows class taken to it's the highest level of understatement. Please provide some specs on that beauty.

Thanks George!

About 2 years ago I was getting another guitar repaired at Cargills and when I picked it up, Jim said to "Try this!"

Custom 00 deep body based loosely on a Nick Lucas and you picked the configurations you wanted.

Staggered, I offered to buy the one I played at the shop, but a fellow was coming in there any minute to take it home, but Jim said he had already started another identical body and I could pick neck specs.

So the guitar is Gabon African Ebony back and sides, Italian Spruce top, Mahogany 5 piece large V neck with 1 3/4" bone nut, Ebony bridge and bone saddle on a 2 3/8" spacing with bone pins and all topped off with the fantastic joyous Schaller tuning machines with real Ebony buttons.

And I am not worthy - music explodes out of this thing! At the time it was being built, Collings were doing 'thin finishes' that threw the sound out and I asked for similar here, mainly the top.

BluesKing777.

Thanks George!

About 2 years ago I was getting another guitar repaired at Cargills and when I picked it up, Jim said to "Try this!"

Custom 00 deep body based loosely on a Nick Lucas and you picked the configurations you wanted.

Staggered, I offered to buy the one I played at the shop, but a fellow was coming in there any minute to take it home, but Jim said he had already started another identical body and I could pick neck specs.

So the guitar is Gabon African Ebony back and sides, Italian Spruce top, Mahogany 5 piece large V neck with 1 3/4" bone nut, Ebony bridge and bone saddle on a 2 3/8" spacing with bone pins and all topped off with the fantastic joyous Schaller tuning machines with real Ebony buttons.

And I am not worthy - music explodes out of this thing! At the time it was being built, Collings was doing 'thin finishes' that threw the sound out and I asked for similar here, mainly the top.

BluesKing777.

BK, I cannot fault you for instantly wanting to take that home, if you have any appreciation for fine woods who would not. I seriously doubt that with my advanced age and declining health that I will ever have the chance to see an instrument that's level of craftsmanship and beauty exceeds this one. It matters not what angle view you have of this guitar, they all leave you gasping for air.

That guitar sounds so crystal clear that is hard to believe it is coming through a preamp at all, it sounds totally acoustic. Recording engineers must love that. You surely have found yourself a crown jewel.

Thanks George, Billroy and BBG!

The rest of my gits can go, you think?

Hold your horses, I played it a bit before and we have hit the new string 4 days in thing where everything goes...dead! Where’s that roadie to change them strings? All the Phosphur fell off.

I am loving the K&K Mini on this guitar, sounds great, minimal intrusion. I think I could play it straight to my mixer, but Tonedexter is magic! I rang the luthier back and said how much I liked the pickup and asked them to order another and I went back with my Lowden S35! Wearing a track to his workshop! The pickup in the Cargill was a tryout for the Lowden, which needs a few more things done including removing the existing useless pickup.

Oh BBG, the guitar is down 2 steps and the main chord shapes are fun - like a D chord except moved over a string....and played at the 5th fret.

BluesKing777.

Archived