Gibson Brands Forums

Confused

LOSTVENTURE

I've been shopping for a Sheraton II Pro for the last few days, and spotted something unusual.

I've noticed that the Epi stamp on the back of the headstock usually corresponds to the date of manufacture as specified by the serial number. This seems to cross most model lines, not just the Sheraton. And all of this made perfect sense until last night.

I was looking at guitars on the Sweetwater site and saw something unusual. They showed several new Sheratons with 2018 related serial numbers (18*****) but the Epi stamp showed the date as 2016.

Can anybody clarify this anomaly for me.

Thanks for asking, Brad

Usually the Epi stamp (rear of headstock) agrees, as to year of production, with the serial number.

The example that I mention does not. The Epi stamp says 2016, while the serial number indicates 2018.

It just seemed a little unusual to me, and I was wondering if someone could explain.

PS: I've already bought the guitar, a Sheraton, and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for asking, Brad

Usually the Epi stamp (rear of headstock) agrees, as to year of production, with the serial number.

The example that I mention does not. The Epi stamp says 2016, while the serial number indicates 2018.

It just seemed a little unusual to me, and I was wondering if someone could explain.

PS: I've already bought the guitar, a Sheraton, and I'm very happy with it.

Congratulations on the new guitar.

Could you post pics? Never seen the like.

Johnny

I believe that guitar manufacturers use serial numbers to track production through their factories, and as far as far as Epiphone would be concerned, the serial number would govern. The serial number for Epiphone hollow and semi-hollow body guitars is located on a sticker placed within the cavity of the guitar, at least it is on my Epi Riviera Custom P93, which is visible through the F-Hole. With respect to your guitar, it could be the neck was made in 2016 and that's when the Epiphone decal was placed on the back of the headstock. That neck was then eventually placed on a 2018 model guitar, which is reflected in the guitar's serial number. Since you are buying a new guitar from an authorized dealer, I suggest that you register the guitar's warranty with Epiphone and then email Epiphone directly with your question. My experience is they are responsive to email inquiries.

Archived