Gibson Brands Forums

Feedback from a cable no plugged in

blindboygrunt

Had a gig Saturday afternoon

All good and then I kept getting a crack followed by feedback

Tuned the feedback knob on the soloamp , turned the bass down , moved my stool and mic back a little , in the heat of the moment in the middle of a gig brain panics turned out my guitar lead wasn’t pushed ‘all the way in’ to the guitar .. worked fine but eventually brain calmed down and started with the most logical and simple solutions ... cable was in but not in in

That solved it and all was ticketyboo after that

Apart from the difficulty getting into the performance while a little bit of the brain is waiting on it happening again , which of course it didn’t

Reason I’m telling you all is two fold I guess

One reason is , stay calm and chech he simple thing first at a gig

Second is - what is causing the feedback ? I understand the loud pop or crack noise , which I’m assuming is the lead disconnecting and then the connection being made again , but Where’s the squealing feedback come from after that ?

Was just a second or so loud whistle / scream noise

You got the most important part right: keep thy wits about thee before an audience. Good job.

As for the squeal after the crack........just a guess, mind you, but it may be that the volume and frequency of the crack was enough to induce the feedback. With no other sound at that particular moment it's logical that the crack itself was the source of the squeal. And, to back that up, once the cord was properly inserted there was no more squealing, yes?

I would guess that the crack from the cable was probably at a certain frequency and volume that triggered a momentary feedback loop between the mic and the Soloamp...this stuff is all such a weird and subjective thing isn’t it? Rogue frequencies, resonances, the pattern of the mic capsule, volume and proximity could all be factors.

I totally sympathise with it putting you off your stroke a bit during the gig, I find my internal “happy place” (or “maudlin singer songwriter place” anyway!) tends to vanish for a while if there are gear issues afoot, and I have to go ferreting about for it for the first few songs. Fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen again!

Grunt - I loved my fishman stick... but if these are not used often... and the knobs dont get a regular workout, dust gets into the pot. The problem is common, and the fix is easy... a can of compressed air into the pots after you remove the grill. Fishman can walk you through it...

The squeal? Dont know. Gain issue ?

Edited... my diagnosis is very wrong. On account of not careful reading on my part

I know nothing about the physics of what goes on between the electronics of pickups and amps

But the tiny brain I had was guessing what buc and jinder guessed at also

No issues with dust yet Sal

Don't you have the fishman anymore ??

Negative. I sold it. I have a Bose L1Compact with the tonematch. My gigging buddy has the big Bose... and I wanted something easy to setup consistently, whether we use his or mine (smaller bars).

Jury out on the Bose though. It's nice. But I loved the FishStick. I just dont care to change out again. They are all good enough for sure.

Negative. I sold it. I have a Bose L1Compact with the tonematch. My gigging buddy has the big Bose... and I wanted something easy to setup consistently, whether we use his or mine (smaller bars).

Jury out on the Bose though. It's nice. But I loved the FishStick. I just dont care to change out again. They are all good enough for sure.

You had the 330

I was jealous of that

Much of a step up from the 220 ?

I adore my soloamp , unbelievably good and clear sound for a man on his own with a guitar

Can’t get my mind to believe anything else would compete

But I’d listen to you

You had the 330

I was jealous of that

Much of a step up from the 220 ?

I adore my soloamp , unbelievably good and clear sound for a man on his own with a guitar

Can't get my mind to believe anything else would compete

But I'd listen to you

no need to upgrade unless you need a tad more power... or that expander for multiple inputs (if several of you gig together).

The SA220 is outstanding.

The Bose L1 Compact is also fantastic, but you need a mixer with reverb at increased cost to get what the Fish already provides.

edited to add that if you are playing in a loud and larger pub... the Bose throws sound better. So that what you hear 70 feet away is just as what you hear 20 feet away. But if you are just providing a little amplification - not an issue...

no need to upgrade unless you need a tad more power... or that expander for multiple inputs (if several of you gig together).

The SA220 is outstanding.

The Bose L1 Compact is also fantastic, but you need a mixer with reverb at increased cost to get what the Fish already provides.

edited to add that if you are playing in a loud and larger pub... the Bose throws sound better. So that what you hear 70 feet away is just as what you hear 20 feet away. But if you are just providing a little amplification - not an issue...

Thanks Sal

I’ll just stick with what I have then

There's nothing like the worry of imminent equipment failure to spoil even the most seasoned performers night.

I remember a John Gorka show I was at some year ago, PA in the venue went dead. While the sound guys addressed it, Gorka just shrugged it off, and removed his guitar cable and just played/sang 2 or 3 tunes "old school" style while they fixed it. It was a smallish concert venue (bout 75/100 ppl, no one minded the transition, you could actually hear him fine too.

A little different reaction available though when you're ALSO the sound guy..

I think the feedback is like everyone is saying, just that right frequency and volume to cause a feedback loop with the mic

Archived