Gibson Brands Forums

Have Tonepros stopped making Kluson style replacement tuners?

EpiSheriMan

Hi Guys, I'm looking to upgrade my 12:1 ratio Kluson 3 a side button tuners on my '63 CW.

Went over to Stew Mac and noticed that are now on 'Close-out' and sold out in white buttons https://www.stewmac.com/Closeouts/TonePros_Kluson_3_and_3_50s_Back_Tuners_with_White_Knobs_and_Press-fit_Bushings.html

Big time Bummer!!!! Does anyone know if Tonepros are no longer making these?

I'd love to find another brand who makes an 18:1 ratio version if ya'll know of one?

<_<

xk2rhpg5o1xqjxtuq7z3.jpg

I believe the shop that my J45 is at right now has a few sets of these. I swore I noticed them in the case when I dropped the guitar off to get the K&K installed. Hoping it's ready any day now. @EpiSheriMan, I could pick you up a set and mail them to you if you're in the USA.

And a little off-topic, but if anyone is looking for a good 3-on-a-plate set, the Klusons are really nice. The buttons aren't stark white, more of an off/aged white, which look fantastic on a J45, and they dropped right in with come conversion bushings.

jzSAFes.jpg

I believe the shop that my J45 is at right now has a few sets of these. I swore I noticed them in the case when I dropped the guitar off to get the K&K installed. Hoping it's ready any day now. @EpiSheriMan, I could pick you up a set and mail them to you if you're in the USA.

Thanks so much for the kind offer man. Its greatly appreciated but I'm actually based over in the UK so that would have been tricky. I scoured the internet and couldn't find any of the 3 a side Tomepros for sale in Europe so ended up buying of EBAY and paying for crazy shipping + customs charges. I just wanted to make sure that I got a set before they are all gone. I currently have a set of replacement 12:1 ratio Klusons bought about six years again which I relic'ed myself. They look great but the stability is shocking (see photo below). I'm hoping that the 15:1 Tonepros I've just ordered will be a big improvement. If not I guess there is also the GOTOH Kluson style replacements I could try...

post-19390-030931300 1538649050_thumb.jpg

Kluson have been reissuing many of their vintage tuners quite recently (like the Wafflebacks and others). It's worth checking out.

Other than that, you want to upgrade just for the slightly higher gear ratio?

Thanks for the reply Leonard.

Yeah,....As per my last post above its because the 12:1 ratio is horrible. Lots of slip and stability problems...

:huh:

I grabbed a couple sets of these when they were clearing them out.

I recently upgraded the tuners on this SJ KK with some waverly's that fit perfect with no mods.

Great idea to grab a few sets of the Tonepros before they are all gone Dave!!!.

Those Waverleys look great. I tried a set on my CW with the more classic Waverley oval butter bean Nickel ones but they just didn't look right. Your look really good though with with the white buttons. I guess that could have been an option as well...

[thumbup]

Archived