Gibson Brands Forums

1992 Gibson SG Custom '67 Reissue

fender101punk

Hey, new to the forum and Gibsons! Normally a Fender guy but thinking about giving Gibson a try. Specifically an SG. A few years back I had an Epiphone LP custom which I didn't like. Mostly the big body and lack of body contours. So I'm thinking an SG would be best for me because it's lighter, comfier and almost the same guitar.

Anyways, I stumbled across this 1992 SG Custom '67 Reissue. It is listed for $1500 CAD but the seller is in a "cash crunch" and will take $1000 CAD. It's in excellent condition and includes the original case. First of all, is this a good deal? I searched Ebay and google and didn't find much.. Any info on this guitar would be great. I would like any opinions on this guitar.

I have seen far too many fake Gibsons out there, so here are the pics so someone might be able to confirm that it is a true Gibson.

7802e4i_20.jpg

052025a_20.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

see if you can get a picture of the back of the head stock with the serial number and everything. Is that black or a very dark cherry color? The other pictures I have seen were all dark cherry.

GIBSON SG Custom, ’67 Reissue, only made in 1992. The classic double cutaway solidbody in a cherry red Mahogany finish with a bound neck with block inlays in the ebony fingerboard. It features a fully bound headstock with the large split diamond pearl inlay and script logo. 3 gold humbuckers, tune-a-matic bridge and stop tailpiece, large white pickguard, Grover gears, all gold hardware. Great player.

from here: http://www.guitars.net/elgitgal.htm

here is the info given on the ad

"This limited edition release is before Gibson made Historics. They made this model only one year and they are becoming quite collectable. This one is already 17 years old! This guitar is in excellent condition and comes with the original hard cover case. The 3 gold humbuckers give the guitar great tones. The neck is 60's shape, ebony board. Great action, Straight neck.

Similar guitars are Ebay are going for $2400. Must sell."

I'll ask for more pics. The guitar looks like a dark cherry to me

I'd have to agree. It does look legit, and except for the keystone tuners, looks like the other pictures I've seen. There is nothing on the truss rod cover in any of the guitars I've seen. This is also NOT the type of guitar that gets faked by our friends overseas, and it doesn't have any of the tell tale signs of being faked.

I thought the headstock looked a bit odd in the upper pic, but I think it's the distortion of the camera's lense. The lower pic has that optical effect of the flash on the M.O.P. which can make the inlay seem roughly finished. I think it's fine.

I got more pics today. Kind of dissapointed. The ad says excellent condition. I was thinking some scratches but it has a large chip on the bottom, looks like a deep gouge or scratch on the back side.. And then your average random scratches all over. Heres what they had to say:

There are no cracks in the headstock or anywhere else. The guitar has been played, so there are small dents or dings on it, but as you can see from one of the photos, no structural damage has been caused. The dings are cosmetic in nature only. We do not know the history of the guitar, we bought it used. We did check with Gibson and it is a valid serial number. We have no paper work or spare parts. Hope this helps you.

And pics:

SG1.jpg

SG10.jpg

SG11.jpg

SG12.jpg

SG2.jpg

SG3.jpg

SG4.jpg

SG5.jpg

SG8.jpg

SG9.jpg

Is it still a good deal? What could it sell for if I don't bond with it later?

Thanks!

If it wasn't for those chips I would go for it. When the guitar is played they may not be that noticable. Besides that it seems to be in good shape. I treat my instruments very well so the condition would not get any worse. Only my first guitar has a small chip in it. The rest are clean and mint. I'm just kind of worried about the price. If I can't make a good profit on it then it's not worth it to me.. What do you think?

Yeah, this is basically all about profit. I would play it for a while to see if I like it. If I like it, I'll keep it. If I don't then I would sell it. Might sound silly to some, but think what you want. If I don't like it in the end and want to sell it, I don't want to be losing money..

Is the guitar local or would shipping be involved? If it was local, I'd say go play it & see what you think. Remember, a custom will not sound like a standard 'cause of the pickup configuration & wiring combination. Also, if it's got the traditional SG custom "fretless wonder" frets, you ain't gonna like it. Guar-on-teed!

BTW, the block inlays on this guitar look to be acrylic, not of genuine pearl.

Here's a 1990 Custom and it has MOP inlays.

1990SGCustom.jpg

And this 1991 30th Anniversary Custom appears to have acrylic "pearloid" markers like the 1992 in question here. Gibson maybe built these guitars as budget Customs...

1991SGCustom30thAnniv.jpg

Archived