Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Keys on the Brad Paisley J-45 ?

sjl200

I have a Custom shop J-45 I got at Fullers Vintage . It's an "old style" J45. It came with 3 on a plate tuning keys with white buttons.

I really like the "Custom vintage style with open back, 14:1 ratio" tuning keys that are on the Brad Paisley signature model J-45. Question is,does any one know if can I get them for my custom shop J45? If so where?

Thanks

I have a Custom shop J-45 I got at Fullers Vintage . It's an "old style" J45. It came with 3 on a plate tuning keys with white buttons.

I really like the "Custom vintage style with open back, 14:1 ratio" tuning keys that are on the Brad Paisley signature model J-45. Question is,does any one know if can I get them for my custom shop J45? If so where?

Thanks

Call Gibson, they might sell you a set.

Gibson does not manufacture tuning machines, they buy them from the companies that do. Therefore you can usually find a retail source for the exact same hardware, it will just won't say Gibson on it.

Once you do enough research on what exact tuners you are looking for it's just a matter of finding a source. Good places to try are the on-line parts retailers such as Stew-Mac and AllParts.

All this does not necessarily mean that they will be a exact "drop-in" replacement, and modifications to your guitar may be required.

Thanks every one....I have 3 on a plate but they are not open like 'the BP' J45.

I have seen the ones Stewart has, for some reason they "look" different at least to me and they have a 15:1 and the BP J45 has a 14:1 not that that makes a difference to me but it points to a different source for Gibson I have not been able to find out who manufactures the BP Tuning machines for Gibson Their specs are very vague(go figure [blink] ) for that reason I thought some here might have some specific info as to Gibson's source for the ones on the BP J45...

I guess time will tell if I get lucky..

Maybe Brad knows!

Here is The BP J45

bradsJ45.jpg

Here are the S &Mc ones on Reds link, different gear ,dark screw, and the worm gear bracket looks different.

stuwertmachines.jpg

Here are the 3 on a plate on my CS J45.

DSCN1365.jpg

They BP Gibson and S&Mc (open back) do seem different right?

Bob those do look like'em...

but they are 15:1 not 14:1 so there is a difference,and based on the looks they are described as having "small oval 'cream' buttons. The BP has white buttons.

So far no help finding anything other then pictures from Gibson .....but I know somebody knows where these BP J45 "Custom vintage" open back tuners come from

[confused]

Bob those do look like'em...

but they are 15:1 not 14:1 so there is a difference,and based on the looks they are described as having "small oval 'cream' buttons. The BP has white buttons.

So far no help finding anything other then pictures from Gibson .....but I know somebody knows where these BP J45 "Custom vintage" open back tuners come from

[confused]

Good luck with your search, and let us know if you find the tuners used on the Paisley. They look nice (as do the ones RAR linked to). You might want to call Elderly and check whether they put the correct specs up on their site for those, just in case they do have the tuning ratio you desire. I can't tell from the pictures I've seen of the Paisley how white the buttons are, but color tone is somewhat subjective as well. One could easily call "white" what another would call "cream."

I can't vouch for their functionality, but the Stew-Mac ones, even though they are inexpensive, actually LOOK more like the vintage Klusons found on Banner J-45s (if that's a look you're going for), as they had bent tabs from what I've seen.

Red 333

Thanks Red, I have a e-mail in to Bozeman so we shall see. The ratio is unimportant to me. I agree one persons white is another's cream. (what is mauve?)

I like the look of the open back tuners. When I was ordering my J45 the option was not something I thought of and I didn't want to "rock the boat , as I felt the quoted price of what Fullers and Montana 'offered' was great.

Any way the BP models 'look' is very close to my tri-busrt with the 3 on a plate and the 'big' pick guard. If I can not find the 'exact' ones Gibson uses then the ones at Elderly will most likely be the ones I get.

Did you say pictures?

I'm a sucker for pictures...hahaha

DSCN1025.jpg

DSCN1047.jpg

DSCN1027.jpg

I am very satisfied with this J-45.

I had these 'up' before maybe its time for some 'better shots' Its a sunny day I will post later

Thanks Red

Beautiful guitar [smile]

But I hate those electronic panels cut into the side [crying]

Danner I do not take lightly to 'cutting' either

It was a difficult decision for me.(pre-amp in the side)

The Fishmann Aura pick-up I wanted required this type of mounting. Another option (but different model Aura)was "in" the sound hole but the controls were, for me, cumbersome in that location.

The custom shop at Gibson was very accommodating(along w/ Fullers Vintage-Jeremy) and I trusted them to do it right and IMO they have done so.

This Guitar has a great tone and is a joy to play and the Aura shines when its called upon either live or recording.

P.S. There IS a BP J45 on e-bay :Brad's Signature Model

Nice! Love the red in the burst.

Fuller's is a very good dealer. Do you live in/near Houston, or did you work with them by phone? I bought my FVG J-35 Reissue from them, and have been very happy. They bring a huge selection of their inventory to both the Dallas and Arlington, TX guitar shows each year; they have some astounding stuff.

Red 333

sjl200: It's all good, the guitar is doing for you what you need. Life is short, enjoy...

Also, WOW on the BP J-45 for $2549! That is a sweet deal. However, I already have a mahogany round shoulder, what I really want next is a J-200 Studio or Standard.

Every thing was over the phone....After a thorough vetting on this site, if I recall Red at the time your endorsement was instrumental in my overcoming the long distance purchase angst.

There were several 'glitches' with this purchase , which started with a completely different J45 shipped/returned/shipped/returned [cursing] then the one I eventually ordered and bought.

Fullers has a life time customer as far as my guitar needs goes.They came through when things didn't go right and that imo is hard to find in todays business environment.

sjl200: It's all good, the guitar is doing for you what you need. Life is short, enjoy...

Also, WOW on the BP J-45 for $2549! That is a sweet deal. However, I already have a mahogany round shoulder, what I really want next is a J-200 Studio or Standard.

I am Enjoying it, my friend ,every day is a gift to be explored and I agree good deal on Brad's J45..I only wish I could get it but as they say timing is everything and for me now is not the time for a BP Signature .....but If I could just get those tuners then I would have my own Signature model J45...so to speak... [cool]

Archived