Gibson Brands Forums

Help me with this guitar?

acousticplayer28

I just got this Epiphone/Gibson acoustic guitar.

It looks good still.

I have a few questions about it!

The model name inside of it says EO-1

The headstock only says Gibson. But it has a fancy star and crescent moon.

Why is it not on the Gibson site? or Epiphone site? Or the entire internet? lol

I can find the EO-2 on the internet but not this one!

What is Orville Guitars? Does that have anything to do with this?

And does anyone know what the value might be today?

Everywhere I take it people like it. It is a neat little guitar.

Thank you.

I think that was an orville guitar, maybe 300-500 depending on seller/buyer

orville is a company by gibson/epi and made some really nice guitars

post some pics and it should be easier for us to help out

Im guessing the headstock looks like this?

-129383205609437901.jpg

The Epiphone E0-1 was not an Orville brand guitar (made in Japan), though it is often called an EO-1 Orville. That is because it was manufactured (in Korea) to coincide with some kind of Gibson Corp. anniversary (maybe the 90th or 100th, I forget which). The paddle-shaped headstock and star-and-crescent inlay were features found on some instruments made by Orville Gibson before he sold his name and designs to the men who would found the Gibson Corp. The star-and-crescent inlay was said to have been designed by a Turkish inlay artist Orville used. The butterfly (which I THINK was on the EO-2 only) was also a motif found on some instruments built by Orville.

If you search this forum, you should find several threads about the EO-1 and E0-2; they are a topic of discussion from time to time.

Red 333

The Epiphone E0-1 was not an Orville brand guitar (made in Japan), though it is often called an EO-1 Orville. That is because it was manufactured (in Korea) to coincide with some kind of Gibson Corp. anniversary (maybe the 90th or 100th, I forget which). The paddle-shaped headstock and star-and-crescent inlay were features found on some instruments made by Orville Gibson before he sold his name and designs to the men who would found the Gibson Corp. The star-and-crescent inlay was said to have been designed by a Turkish inlay artist Orville used. The butterfly (which I THINK was on the EO-2 only) was also a motif found on some instruments built by Orville.

If you search this forum, you should find several threads about the EO-1 and E0-2; they are a topic of discussion from time to time.

Red 333

pwn'd [crying]

I have an Epiphone Orville EO-1SB (sunburst) with the same headstock, paid $200 used. They were made in Korea as indicated on the soundhole label. It's a decent entry-level student guitar. I take it on business trips sometimes because of t it's small size.

I tried to get my diminutive adult next-door neighbor to buy it, she's a beginner taking lessons. But her all-knowing guitar teacher recommended a Seagull 000 type instead. Yesterday I recut the nut on that thing and put Elixers on it for her. It's an OK beginner guitar, but my E0-1 plays and sounds better IMHO. Oh well, I don't mind keeping it, It's good to have around.

Anyway, this is the thread that has the most info about it: http://forum.gibson....47797-epi-logo/

Cheers Acoustic and welcome to the forum.

shania-twain-with-guitar2.jpg

pwn'd means owned - sign of respect!

(Apparently)

Or 'Pawend' ?

The headstock shape and logo harken back to one of the first logos Orville GIBSON used on his first guitars, but the EO guitars are Epiphones.

Note the headstock on these very early Gibson Harp guitars, Model R or U, or one of each:

HarpGuitarStyleR.jpg

• 7 years later...

I just got this Epiphone/Gibson acoustic guitar.

It looks good still.

I have a few questions about it!

The model name inside of it says EO-1

The headstock only says Gibson. But it has a fancy star and crescent moon.

Why is it not on the Gibson site? or Epiphone site? Or the entire internet? lol

I can find the EO-2 on the internet but not this one!

What is Orville Guitars? Does that have anything to do with this?

And does anyone know what the value might be today?

Everywhere I take it people like it. It is a neat little guitar.

Thank you.

Guitar Info

Made for only one year, a rare guitar with a set mahogany neck with Slim-Taper profile. It has a rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, rounded Orville Gibson headstock with gold Star & Crescent logo, 21 frets, 25" scale and a 1.68" nut width. The body is Tan Natural laminated spruce top, select mahogany sides, arched mahogany back and hand-trimmed Epi-X bracing. Inspired by an 1894 Orville Gibson guitar. Fishman Presys 201 Onboard Preamp Classic Acoustic Guitar EQ Tuner Piezo Pickup, a Graph Tech Tusq acoustic saddle PQ-9200-C0 and AAGSS Model PP1 Power Pins. The Orville Collection was designed in cooperation with USA and inspired by the 1894 Gibson Orville guitar. The Y in the S/N means made in Korea.

Archived