Gibson Brands Forums

I need some information about my Epiphne Les Paul

hakon

Hello

I've got an Epiphone Les Paul. On the top of the neck (Head...?) it is labeled Epiphone Les Paul Model, and a bit lower it is labeled GIBSON downwards.

The serialnumber is B10715484, and what I have gotten out of that is

B - Bohêmia Musico-Delicia (Czech Republic)

1 - 1991

07- July

15484 - The unit number

So, I have some questions about it:

- This is some kind of an Standard model? I think so, after comparing it to newer Epiphone Les Pauls

- How are these guitars made on that factory compared to newer Epiphones and real Gibson Les Pauls?

- What kind of pickups to they have? I looked at the back of my pickups to day, and they are labeled Gibson, nothing more. Are they replaced, or original? Are they real Gibson Pickups since they are labeled Gibson, or are they just labeled Gibson since Epiphone are owned by Gibson?

I don't have a camera here right now, but I will upload some pictures when I come home tomorrow or something. I don't now if I can take pictures of the back of the pickups though, as the tuning nobs usually cuts of the strings when taking them of to many times, and I don't want them to break as they are only a day old. They are of the type where you put the string throu a hole and screws a screw that presses the string up in the top of the hole so it sits fast. They are replaced to.

An I bought the guitar new for some years ago, and I have not replaced anything.

My daddy told me that he had heard that these guitars from that factory had original Gibson electronics. I am not sure if it is true or not, or where he heard it but I can ask him again.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I recently posted a similar question about my Epi LP. I got all kinds of well-meaning responses, but the simple fact seems to be that many people are not so sure either (this is not at all a complaint, I am very grateful to everyone who tried their best to help me out). For example, the widely mentioned website where you can out your guitar ID and it tells you what it is, that didn't work for me.

So far, what worked best for me is to directly write to Gibson/Epi and ask. They wanted pics of the body, front and rear, close-ups of the headstock, front and rear, and surprisingly, pics of the control cavity (the cavity behind the potis). And I'm pretty positive that if you want infos about your pickups, you'd have to provide them pics as well. They were very responsive (at least my customer rep was) and helpful. And as a plus, you can be almost 100% sure that you got the right info.

I'd recommend that. Hope it helps. Again, this is not to discredit anyone else who is willing to help you on this post.

Matt

Hello,

I recently posted a similar question about my Epi LP. I got all kinds of well-meaning responses, but the simple fact seems to be that many people are not so sure either (this is not at all a complaint, I am very grateful to everyone who tried their best to help me out). For example, the widely mentioned website where you can out your guitar ID and it tells you what it is, that didn't work for me.

So far, what worked best for me is to directly write to Gibson/Epi and ask. They wanted pics of the body, front and rear, close-ups of the headstock, front and rear, and surprisingly, pics of the control cavity (the cavity behind the potis). And I'm pretty positive that if you want infos about your pickups, you'd have to provide them pics as well. They were very responsive (at least my customer rep was) and helpful. And as a plus, you can be almost 100% sure that you got the right info.

I'd recommend that. Hope it helps. Again, this is not to discredit anyone else who is willing to help you on this post.

Matt

One of my guitars is an Epiphone spotlight (bottom left sig' pic'). When i first got it there was almost no information about it on the net and there wasn't to my knowledge this excellent and admirable forum at the time. I did exactly what you did and sent them a bunch of pics', and the gibby/epi team got back to me very quickly with all the info i could possibly have wanted.

• 1 month later...

Hello' date='

Matt

[/quote']

I have tried that, but they didn't now anything. I can try again though.

Pictures inside spoiler, you can also find them here if that is easier. I think I have taken pictures of all important details, but just tell me if something is missing. And I am aware of the screw that has to be fixed on bridge pickup.

Sorry for an extremely late response.

You have it pretty covered.

I did notice that you only had one pic of the back of the headstock, and it did not show all of it. I would include a pic of the back of the headstock that shows the top portion (where most serial numbers would be located).

Very nice looking guitar.

Well, Hakon. One thing is for sure......

......You have a very nice Epi LP there! The odd scratch or ding gives it character. As long as it plays nice and sounds nice I wouldn't be too worried about finding out its exact specifications.

However, a tip for identifying the pickups would be to use an ohm meter to measure the impedence of each pup. They can be bought pretty cheaply from high street electrical retailers or you could borrow one from somebody who is in to electrics/electronics. There is a sticky in the Epiphone lounge which has tips and advice and I'm pretty sure one of the posts on pickups will contain a chart with all the impedences of the various Gibson pups. Impedence measurements are not that accurate but it might at least give you an idea of the types of pup yours could be. NB. If they are 4-conductor wired pups they are more likely to be aftermarket purchases than factory fitted. However, a number of Gibson pups still only come with 2 wires even as aftermarket.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Hei Håkon, your guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul called "The Heritage".

It was an special-order from Luthman A/B for the Scandinavian marked, and according to the ad, "the closest to the real thing".

This model came in heritage cherry sunburst and honeyburst only, and the price was higher than the other LP-Epi's. It is, as you probably already know, pretty heavy compared to an Asian one, and it has a 60's neck with long tenon and hardware from Schaller. The original pickups are Schaller 57's marked with an "X" on the back. The tuners on yours are also different from the original greenish Schaller tulip's.

The "obvious" differences from the Asian ones is a couple of things....the pickguard-holder has two screws into the body, the dot over the "i" on the headstock-logo sits higher than normal, the last "e" is flatter on the top, and the tip of the letters are slightly more rounded than usual. The "B" in the serial is of course a dead givaway. The colour on the honeyburst is also, according to my eyes, not quite like the others.

The Bohemia plant also made some other models with "normal" Epi-specs for the Euro-marked, including black customs, Flying V, SG and a LP plus top with a "Limited edition"sticker on the back of the headstock.

Specs:

Handcrafted (Bohemia Musico-Delica Plant, Czech Republic)

Body material: Solid mahogany

Top material: European flame maple

Neck material: mahogany

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Hardware: Chrome Schaller

Pickup: 2 x Schaller humbuckers (chrome)

Here's my Czech twins...the one(1998)on the left is all original, the other one(1996)has new grovers and plastic sprayed black by me.

As you see, both of them is honeybursts, and im looking to buy a couple of cherry's, but they don't come up for sale that often here in Norway. I believe Sweden is the place to look for these.

post-23810-012983300 1303260787_thumb.jpgpost-23810-004930700 1303260589_thumb.jpgpost-23810-033271800 1303260602_thumb.jpg

Here's what a Czech cherryburst looks like....nice, isn't it?

post-23810-051193400 1303262528_thumb.jpg

Archived