Gibson Brands Forums

Why 300k linear?

Sefrez

Why does Gibson put stock 300k linear pots in the Traditional's? I have some CTS 500k pots coming soon that I'm going to use to replace all pots, including tones and I'm going to wire it 50s style with vintage braided wire. It should allow for the pickups to come out a bit more and for tapering to be a bit better all around (not linear) on higher gain's. The linear tapering works quite well on cleans though. But going back to the question, why? I noticed that the Traditional Pro GC Exclusive does have the 500k CTS pots. Their nice. I remember that guitar had really good tapering so you could get all kinds of sweet tones out of it rather than just sitting on 10s for all four knobs. :P

I was hoping someone would respond who knows about electronics. I have a traditional too.

There was a thread within the last couple weeks that addressed something similar. But I can't

find it now.

I believe the tone is 500, and the volume is 300. But my simple recollection is it has

something to do with the '57's they put in there to keep the volume in check as you

turn the knob; so it goes up and down smoothly.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Maybe it changes the freq. response slightly, guessing, in this case increasing it. I think also you have to consider the cord/amp input impedance, what load does the pickup see.

One reason might be is that it sounds good. The ES335 also has 57 pups and 300k linear vol. pots. I think I like a linear volume because it’s more sensitive instead of a drawn out longer resistance curve for an audio pot.

Eracer team; I think there is a misunderstanding here. I was speaking about the difference between our factory standard pots on Gibson USA models (which are not CTS) and CTS pots in general.

Hopefully that makes my statement clearer.

Kind regards,

Stijn

So the volume thing is with how it responds when you turn the knob?

I look at the Traditiohnal Pro as a true "rock" machine.

If it has 500 CTS's with its p/u's (are they burst buckers?); is that

to make respond more quickly? Whereas the 300's with the Traditional's

57's makes for a more vintage effect on the volume?

Archived