Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard Premium Plus

Meriwether

To check that a certain Les Paul is a Gibson Standard Premium Plus, I've been told to check under the pickups. Is this allways the case? I mean if I have a guitar that I've bought under the notion it's a Premium Plus and there is no markings under the pickups. Does that mean it is NOT? Does that mean the seller is lying to me? Mine is from 2002 by the way

thanks for help

Z

Thanks

it turns out to be "just a regular AA flame top" This guy must wake up and realise there are a thing called google?

I'm returning this guitar for my good old custom tomorrow...

Thanks for your help all. You rescued me from doing the worst trade of my life

The 2008 Standard Plus has an AA maple top. (Plus denotes the figured maple) Sounds like the guy may be confused. There are a lot of variations out there. Throw in the GC Exclusives and it's every which way but up.

What does it sound like and feel like? Either way you should be happy with what you're getting, AA top or not.

The 2008 Standard Plus has an AA maple top. (Plus denotes the figured maple) Sounds like the guy may be confused. There are a lot of variations out there. Throw in the GC Exclusives and it's every which way but up.

What does it sound like and feel like? Either way you should be happy with what you're getting, AA top or not.

Happy with what I'm getting? So you're saying a LP Standard from 2002 (with admittedly a nice flame though according to Gibson archive NOT a LPP+) is the same value as the one I have?

If so can you elaborate please?

When I said, 'you should be happy with what you are getting'; it was a poor choice of words. I should have said, 'make the decision that makes you happy'. There will be others to consider. I've seen some nice AA flames and some not so nice.

I don't think my 2008 Standard is the best AA top I've seen. But I love the way it plays and sounds.

When I said, 'you should be happy with what you are getting'; it was a poor choice of words. I should have said, 'make the decision that makes you happy'. There will be others to consider. I've seen some nice AA flames and some not so nice.

I don't think my 2008 Standard is the best AA top I've seen. But I love the way it plays and sounds.

Ahhh.. see what you mean.. Yes the 2002 standard plays and sounds amazing. So that's not the problem. When or if I sell it I don't want to look like a schmuck You can understand that of course ;) But I'll offer him money for it instead or find another one. There's plenty of fish in the sea hehe...

Sorry I missundertood you before. I should have known better :)

cheers

z

No problem with the misunderstanding. I should have been more specific with my answer. Your question was a good one.

If the guy is giving you a load of crock on the guitar.... what other bull is he telling you? He may just be ignorant but that still doesn't justify him trying to sell you a bill of goods. He could have honestly said, I don't really know what this guitar is...

Have you gotten the serial number and e-mailed Gibson customer service? Often they can shed light on your problem.

Like you said...sound like you should move on and continue the journey....

Have you gotten the serial number and e-mailed Gibson customer service? Often they can shed light on your problem.

Its cool my friend. YES I called C/S last night (I live in Sweden) and thaey told me its "just" a AA top. If they say so. I believe them :)

It's ok. I'll get my LP custom back hehe. sort of regret it anyway. It's very heavy but it sounds like heaven... 35 year old pickups has such a sweet low-ish output and warm tone to it :)

Good. Sounds like you made a good decision.

Yeah, heavy. That definition changes the older you get. My '08 Standard is 7.36 lbs (3.34 kg) and it starts to feel heavy after an hour. I am trying to strengthen my back muscles to help out. That and a wider (2 1/2") strap helps. Enjoy the journey...

Figuring grades are pretty subjective - Here's a roll at it with some of these graded by Gibson -

A - some spotty figuring

deimostbu5.jpg

AA - figured with some "bare spots" where figuring disappears (graded by Gibson, aka Plus top)

!C!T9F8w!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKjUEzSMNKgcQBNCbbuPr(g~~_12.JPG

AAA - figured to the edge with hardly any bare spots (this is one of mine, graded by Gibson, aka Premium Plus top)

LPflametopsm.jpg

AAAA - figured to the edge with no bare spots - can have a bit of a space between figuring lines (graded by Gibson)

96_R9_803_Redo_1000.jpg

AAAAA - fully and tightly figured to the edge with no bare spots - highest level of figuring

96LPR9A.jpg

Good. Sounds like you made a good decision.

Yeah, heavy. That definition changes the older you get. My '08 Standard is 7.36 lbs (3.34 kg) and it starts to feel heavy after an hour. I am trying to strengthen my back muscles to help out. That and a wider (2 1/2") strap helps.

I'd kill for 3.34Kg mate :)

regards

Custom Heavy 4,6Kg :)

Oh...

Thanks "BigKahune" Nice rundown there :)

Of course it's allways in the eye of the beholder but if I have proof of it beeing AAAA or whatever it's alot easier for me to sell it as such later. But it looks pretty good right?

img0550y.jpg

BigKahune, thanks for the visual flames. Wonderful.

I'd swear my Studio, 7.23 lbs (7.23 kg) feels lighter than the Standard 7.36 lb (3.34 kg) even though there is only about a 1/4 lb difference.

Play it for over an hour and it will be noticable. Anyone who has ever gone back packing can tell you ounces turn into pounds after a few hours.

Weight aside I like the way each one sounds. Each very different.

Oh...

Thanks "BigKahune" Nice rundown there :)

Of course it's allways in the eye of the beholder but if I have proof of it beeing AAAA or whatever it's alot easier for me to sell it as such later. But it looks pretty good right?

img0550y.jpg

You've got an example of my favorite type of figuring - full, but sublte enough for the graining underneath to show. And it's beautiful on both counts - the graining and the figuring. The play between the two is pure beauty.

Love that top. [thumbup]

BTW, nice Black Beauty.

You've got an example of my favorite type of figuring - full, but sublte enough for the graining underneath to show. And it's beautiful on both counts - the graining and the figuring. The play between the two is pure beauty.

Love that top. [thumbup]

BTW, nice Black Beauty.

Right, my AA topped Standard Plus certainly doesn't come close. Delicious. Beautiful. You gotta follow your heart and your head though.

Love the photos of the black, er, ebony, guitar.

I like the look of both guitars. Yes I would be upset if someone promised one thing but delivered another. Maybe you can deal with the seller a bit if you like the guitar, although there is certainly nothing wrong with the ebony one IMHO. Did you first try asking for some money back before trading back?

I like the look of both guitars. Yes I would be upset if someone promised one thing but delivered another. Maybe you can deal with the seller a bit if you like the guitar, although there is certainly nothing wrong with the ebony one IMHO. Did you first try asking for some money back before trading back?

No money back rocketman. He doesn't work that way and that's understandable. I had the honeyburst at home for a week and was making my ind up but realized after a while that a straight swap between the two is too much of a difference. No hard feelings. I got my old back and will buy a honeyburst 2nd hand instead. I'll hold on to the Ebony one for a while longer.

• 11 months later...

Hi and welcome.

There's no way to tell just from looking. Gibson grades each slab of wood and their decisions are not always logical....

If you look under the bridge p-up there might be some letters such as this in the bottom of the cavity;

ClassicLPPP.jpg

In this case LPPP = 'Les Paul Premium-Plus'. LPP = Les Paul 'Plus'.

P.

Hi and welcome.

There's no way to tell just from looking. Gibson grades each slab of wood and their decisions are not always logical....

If you look under the bridge p-up there might be some letters such as this in the bottom of the cavity;

ClassicLPPP.jpg

In this case LPPP = 'Les Paul Premium-Plus'. LPP = Les Paul 'Plus'.

P.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful advice,

but I just asked the guys at Gibson Customer Service and they confirmed that this an actual Std Premium Plus.

Cheers,

SG

Archived