Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge of my SG reissue 61 2006

Guich

Hi,

I am little bit concerned about the bridge of my SG. I bought this SG reissue 61 sapphire blue 4 days ago (used), and as I got some problems with the intonation, i checked everything. I figured out that my bridge was neither a nashville or a ABR-1. It have the mention BR-EG stamped Below.

i am concerned cause i never see a legit gibson with this kind of bridge.

I post photos here maybe you guys can help me. Just want to be sure that everything is ok with this guitar.

IMG_9855.jpg

IMG_9861.jpg

IMG_9863.jpg

IMG_9866.jpg

IMG_9896.jpg

gibson_Sg_61reissue_sapphire-blue.jpg

The sellers tell me that he bought this guitar in san francisco (guitar center) in 08 and gave me an invoice of it but i think there is something bizarre with this bridge as i have seen they were used on ibanez. Maybe i am wrong so i just need a confirmation. The customer service of Gibson already answer me that nothing would alarm him with this guitar but to be honest i am not sure we have understand each other well as i was very upset by this issue and it is not my mother language. Did gibson use this kind of bridge on the SG reissue 61 in 2006?

Hope you guys will can help me.

Thx by advance,

Best,

Guich.

*edit : to correct some mistakes and add informations

With the manufacture year of 2006 I take it you bought this used (?)

Looks like a legit SG to me, but I don't think the BR-EG bridge is original, but Gibson should know. If they say it's original then it must be.

Thank you for your answer, the guitar has a great sound, resonance and sustain but it really needs adjustment. I think about putting an original Nashville bridge on it, but i am quite afraid that the BR-EG tune o matic didn't have the same spec for replacement.

Hope to have more information.

Best.

I think this is a great mystery. I just spent quite a while looking on the web for info on the "BR-EG" bridge, and got nothing, except: makers of saddles recognize this stamp, and the saddles are different than an ABR or a Nashville, and a reference to an Epiphone that had that bridge on it.

Just a guess, but it may be made by Gotoh (I read reference that the symbol on the bottom is a "G"). But, I could not find anything to confirm that.

To spite the reference to it being fitted to some Epiphones, it does not answer the question as to who made it, or the question of it being original to your guitar, or originally fit to any Gibson.

Sinse there seems to be no available or reliable info, it seems you have good reason to call Gibson CS and pin them on this issue. Not only would it be good to know if it possible it is original, but you might need to know so you know what replacements might fit.

Guys,

i want to thank you all for your answers.

So after a big test in our practice room with my friend's SG reissue 61 in cherry red, i am pretty sure that the only difference with the "classic one" is the bridge.

No one was able to tell me, where do it come from but it seems that the guy did buy the guitar like this in guitar center (he gives me the bill).

Whatever, concerning the sound it worth every penny i spent, and my friend got exactly the same detuning issue. Maybe the headstock. I am pretty dawn sure an upgrade for a better bridge and headstock would resolve the problem do you guys have some recommendation about this?

Thanks again.

Guich

Guys,

i want to thank you all for your answers.

So after a big test in our practice room with my friend's SG reissue 61 in cherry red, i am pretty sure that the only difference with the "classic one" is the bridge.

No one was able to tell me, where do it come from but it seems that the guy did buy the guitar like this in guitar center (he gives me the bill).

Whatever, concerning the sound it worth every penny i spent, and my friend got exactly the same detuning issue. Maybe the headstock. I am pretty dawn sure an upgrade for a better bridge and headstock would resolve the problem do you guys have some recommendation about this?

Thanks again.

Guich

Got a 61 and it's fine as it is. It wont stay in perfect tune one day to another(drop or raise a little bit, temperature thing i guess). But when i tune up for a jam she's stays pretty good in tune. Do you use nut sauce? If not do that. Use it on the slots on the nut and the brigde. And it's important to do a good job when shifting strings, and keep them nice and clean. Clean them every time you have played. Good luck with your beautiful sg [thumbup]

Archived