Gibson Brands Forums

Legend L-00... new finish?

michaelsegui

I just saw this posted today on the 12th Fret website. It looks like this Legend doesn't have the low gloss finish, and also has a burst over the pickguard. It has the gold script logo instead of the white one too....

I would like to try it out, but sadly my funds are lacking.

GibsonLegend00n02707021.jpg

From the 12th Fret website:

Serial Number:... 02707021 circa 2007

Description:... Gibson Montana really goes whole-hog on this Legend Series. This Legend L-00 features a period correct 1937 V-neck profile, period correct tuners & Firestripe pickguard, period correct Red spruce top ... they even went to great lengths to reproduce the original case! Here's one in near mint condition that has opened up nicely over the first year of its life!

Neck:... 1 3/4" wide nut; rosewood fingerboard; script logo; one piece tropical mahogany neck with "1937 V-neck" profile; original strip tuners with plastic buttons; adjustable truss rod; 24 3/4" scale length

Frets:... no signs of wear at all

Body:... Adirondack spruce top with premium tropical mahogany back & sides; single ply body binding; rectangular rosewood bridge with bone saddle; "Firestripe" pickguard; hand scalloped top bracing; in excellent near showroom condition!

Finish:... nitro lacquer finish is in near showroom 9/10 condition

Playability/Action:... very good; action is currently 4/64" treble side & 7/64" bass side with lots of saddle protruding (12/64") for future action adjustments

Case:... original period reproduction hardshell

Pricing:... $3650.00 Can$ (approx.$2899.US$).

Hope I'm not hi-jacking here, Michael, but I paid more for mine, but have the warranty, so that's a fine price if the guitar is in as new condition. I have had mine for a month and have hardly played anything else, and I have some fine instruments. The neck is so comfortable, and the tone, while not vintage, is so sweet it is a joy to play, and record with.

Gibson tells me mine is a 2007 also, but it has the white script logo, and the pick guard is actually much darker at the top, i.e., the burst spray is over the guard. It seems to me that Gibson has been anything but consistent with the details on these guitars. If they are supposed to be faithful repros of the Leroy Parnell guitar, how can the logos and guards vary so much?

If anyone knows someone at Gibson who can definitively answer questions about these guitars I would be grateful.

Anyway, it is a great guitar and a joy to play. Still searching for the perfect '30s version of this baby, but enjoying the present.

No you aren't hi-jacking... the more posts the merrier.

I think I better not go play this guitar or I might do something foolish.

I like the pickguard and burst over this pickguard MUCH better than some of the other examples I have seen. The finish looks better too. I would like to see a J-45 Legend done this way (I hate the pickguards on those).

The only thing consistent about Gibson is their inconsistency!

omg. i want one now. i have the bastard child epi version and love it. that looks like a dream. how much was it?

I have one of those el-00's too. It is nowhere as nice as a regular Blues King, not to mention the Legend model. With the economy tanking the regular Blues King can be had off ebay for pretty good prices. I saw a recent L-00 go for $930. You may want to check ebay and Craigslist.

I have one of those el-00's too. It is nowhere as nice as a regular Blues King' date=' not to mention the Legend model. With the economy tanking the regular Blues King can be had off ebay for pretty good prices. I saw a recent L-00 go for $930. You may want to check ebay and Craigslist. [/quote']

under a grand is within reach. thanks for the heads up. let the gassing continue.....

Although I certainly understand the issue of cost, one other thing to consider is that you never know how long they will be producing the Legend models. If they were to decide all of a sudden stop making them, it would sure be nice to have one in the collection, if you can at all afford to do it.

good point, gs. i've done a 180deg turn, guitar wise. i used to love the 'big sound' of the larger bodied models but find i'm falling for the 'punch' of the 00 sizes, now. i guess i'm also moving form being a 'strummer only' type of player to one who incoporates fingerpicking into his regimen. also the small nut widths (1.68) makes playing sooo much easier.

I played a new one at Huber and Breese north of Detroit on Saturday. I loved the neck. But I didn't like the stain they used on the binding... it was much too brown. This one had the gold script logo AND the banner. The only thing consistent with Gibson is their inconsistency I guess! LOL

I played a new one at Huber and Breese north of Detroit on Saturday. I loved the neck. But I didn't like the stain they used on the binding... it was much too brown. This one had the gold script logo AND the banner. The only thing consistent with Gibson is their inconsistency I guess! LOL

hey! i am about 20mins away from H&B. how much did they want?

The Legend L-00 is up in the 3 or 4K area. The one I played was spectacularly good, and it is still eating away at my resistance. I loved that neck, and the sound of it! I am considering selling a couple of my guitars to get one.

... It looks like this Legend doesn't have the low gloss finish' date=' and also has a burst over the pickguard. ...[/quote']

Michael,

Based on my experience with my Legend J-45, the low-gloss -- actually, just unbuffed -- finish is hard to keep low-gloss. All I've even done is wipe mine with a dry cotton cloth, no polish or anything, and it's gotten much shinier over the last two years. Not as shiny as a typical new Gibson, but it's well on the way.

-- Bob R

It was just above $5K if I remember correctly.

I mostly played it bare fingered ala Woody Guthrie and Mississippi John Hurt and it excelled at that. If I had the coin and the binding wasn't so brown, I would have taken it home and could have been happy wth just that one guitar.... but for that price I want the binding to be perfect too.

The other thing is, once you start getting over $5K, you are in vintage L-00 territory.

I just saw this posted today on the 12th Fret website. It looks like this Legend doesn't have the low gloss finish' date=' and also has a burst over the pickguard. It has the gold script logo instead of the white one too....

I would like to try it out, but sadly my funds are lacking.[/quote']

I was at 12th Fret yesterday, and I DID try that guitar. It is a nice one.

I have not played a lot of L-00s that spoke to me or made me think about taking them home, and this was one of the one first of the Legend L-00s I've tried. It was indeed a nice guitar, full sound, comfy neck. I looked at the burst and couldn't really say that the burst was over the pickguard -- it looked to me as if the 'guard was over the burst.

Nice guitar.

Anyone wanna buy a Martin D-18 Andy Griffith?? :-)

Fred

I was at 12th Fret yesterday' date=' and I DID try that guitar. It is a nice one.

I have not played a lot of L-00s that spoke to me or made me think about taking them home, and this was one of the one first of the Legend L-00s I've tried. It was indeed a nice guitar, full sound, comfy neck. I looked at the burst and couldn't really say that the burst was over the pickguard -- it looked to me as if the 'guard was over the burst.

Nice guitar.

Anyone wanna buy a Martin D-18 Andy Griffith?? :-)

Fred[/quote']

any ontario guys in for a time-share on this one?+:-@

Archived