Gibson Brands Forums

The Les Paul Studio Tribute Humbucker Model Club

AlanH

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lhw, I roll up my guitar strap, and place it under the headstock and the distal part of the neck

That's where my chamois is stored, so it's got a bit more support, too.

I've got teenagers and dogs running through the house, so when I have the extra cash, I plan on getting SKB's LP Flight Case...it's waterproof, and supports the entire neck. I'm more interested in the waterproof part, though...I've already had someone spill something sticky on the Epi case, and I definitely don't want to risk Millie getting injured.

That's where my chamois is stored, so it's got a bit more support, too.

I've got teenagers and dogs running through the house, so when I have the extra cash, I plan on getting SKB's LP Flight Case...it's waterproof, and supports the entire neck. I'm more interested in the waterproof part, though...I've already had someone spill something sticky on the Epi case, and I definitely don't want to risk Millie getting injured.

Was DSK in Morganton recently? [lol]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I just joined both the Gibson forum and, now officially, the Tribute Owners Club!

6891714381_0a084a976d_z.jpg

@AlanH - you have a beauty there- and great pictures by the way. The neck on yours looks thinner than a 50s neck (may just be the pics?) and also you have the light back. It's a beauty. But I'm trying to figure out when the light backs came out vs. the black backs? Any help on this would be appreciated. (Mine's a black back with 50s neck and it was made in 2011.)

Thanks

Jim

@AlanH - you have a beauty there- and great pictures by the way. The neck on yours looks thinner than a 50s neck (may just be the pics?) and also you have the light back. It's a beauty. But I'm trying to figure out when the light backs came out vs. the black backs? Any help on this would be appreciated. (Mine's a black back with 50s neck and it was made in 2011.)

Thanks

Jim

Nice Goldtop, Jim and welcome to the LP Studio tribute HB club.

In answer to your first question, the neck on mine feels very much baseball bat (or, in my case shall I say, cricket bat.) It must be the pics. I also have an SG special faded with a '50s neck and the neck on that one feels thinner in my palm than my LP Tribute. I like both just as much.

As for your second question, the light backs were only avaiable in the first run of Thomann (Germany) exclusive HB Tributes. This limited run was a tester for Gibson to evaluate whether or not these would sell. They did, and so it seems these guitars are now more widely available.

BTW, I've heard it said that the dark back switch was made in order to draw less attention to the number of pieces of wood that the body is made from. Even though both my Gibbies have two piece backs, from what I've heard and read, I don't think that the number of pieces used matters very much at all.

EDIT: Jim, just seen the case you have yours in. How's the fit and what make/model is it?

EDIT: Jim, just seen the case you have yours in. How's the fit and what make/model is it?

Thanks Alan for your reply and answers... Regarding the case, it's a RoadRunner RRMELP molded ABS case and it seems to fit well. It's very light which I was concerned with at first, but it seems to do it's job, as far as protecting the guitar. I got it on sale at MusiciansFriend.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just got my 50's LP Studio Tribute Friday and I love it. I got the Honey burst and it has the dark back. I even love the smell of the guitar. By the way did your guitars have a sweet smell to it when you got it. The sweet smell is why I love the smell. This is not my first new guitar, it is my first new Gibson but all of the other guitars I've opened have never had much of a smell. The one question I do have is about the neck. The fretboard is not flush with the neck. What I mean by this is the neck is slightly wider than the fretboard. It's such a small difference that I'm not sure what to compare it to. It has no effect of how the guitar plays at all. I actually love how the guitar plays. As long as this wont cause a problem in the future I'm fine with it. I also love the fact that it has a plain top. For some reason I just like plain tops better than figured tops. I can actually see my self buying multiple Studio Tributes and replacing my other live rig guitars. I'll try to grab some pictures to post soon.

I just got my 50's LP Studio Tribute Friday and I love it. I got the Honey burst and it has the dark back. I even love the smell of the guitar. By the way did your guitars have a sweet smell to it when you got it. The sweet smell is why I love the smell. This is not my first new guitar, it is my first new Gibson but all of the other guitars I've opened have never had much of a smell. The one question I do have is about the neck. The fretboard is not flush with the neck. What I mean by this is the neck is slightly wider than the fretboard. It's such a small difference that I'm not sure what to compare it to. It has no effect of how the guitar plays at all. I actually love how the guitar plays. As long as this wont cause a problem in the future I'm fine with it. I also love the fact that it has a plain top. For some reason I just like plain tops better than figured tops. I can actually see my self buying multiple Studio Tributes and replacing my other live rig guitars. I'll try to grab some pictures to post soon.

Can't wait to see your photos. Perhaps you can post some detailed close ups of the neck so fellow tribute owners can see if it's similar to ours.

The smell is most likely the nitro lacquer finish, BTW.

I was fortunate enough to order a new gold top fifties LP Tribute yesterday and I'm, of course, enthusiastically awaiting it. Hopefully it will be here expeditiously. I debated between the honey burst and the gold top. I have always wanted a gold top LP and I'm glad to have one on the way.

I looked at the other Studio options and decided that this model has the features I'm interested in. I might even leave the pickups uncovered.

I also might put in a bridge Dimarzio "Super Distortion" pickup, depending on how I like the stock pickups.

What are some of your impressions of the stock pickups?

I have a nice new Marshall two by twelve combo amp - a JMD-1, an amp that is a hundred watts and has four EL34 power tubes but a modeling preamp that models only other Marshall amps. The amp has been discontinued and I paid less than half the regular internet price for it from one of the big internet places like MF. Currently I'm playing my relatively new Gibson LP Studio Faded thru it. It is the brown one with the smooth maple cap and the Burstbucker Pro pickups and rosewood fretboard. It is a really nice guitar with very beautiful tone.

I wonder how people think this Tribute stacks up against the Faded's, if you have had the chance to play both guitars enough to be able to venture an assessment of the two. It won't be long and I'll be able to make my own assessment but in the meantime it will be interesting to hear what others have observed and have to say.

I have not had the chance to play one of these guitars and I bought it based upon what I have read about them. My confidence is strong that this will turn out to be a great guitar. The nearest actual Gibson dealer is ninety miles or so away and that is a GC.

Duffy

On the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in Northern Pennsylvania.

What are some of your impressions of the stock pickups?

I have a nice new Marshall two by twelve combo amp - a JMD-1, an amp that is a hundred watts and has four EL34 power tubes but a modeling preamp that models only other Marshall amps. The amp has been discontinued and I paid less than half the regular internet price for it from one of the big internet places like MF. Currently I'm playing my relatively new Gibson LP Studio Faded thru it. It is the brown one with the smooth maple cap and the Burstbucker Pro pickups and rosewood fretboard. It is a really nice guitar with very beautiful tone.

I wonder how people think this Tribute stacks up against the Faded's, if you have had the chance to play both guitars enough to be able to venture an assessment of the two. It won't be long and I'll be able to make my own assessment but in the meantime it will be interesting to hear what others have observed and have to say.

Can't wait to see the new arrival, Duffy.

I like the 498T but it would be interesting to hear your comparisons with the BB Pro which, I think, should be a little more "sparkly" than the 498T. TBH, I think your high quality amps will probably negate any subtle differences between these pickups. Any Gibson pickup is a good pickup, IMO.

Nicefirst run goldtop! Looks to have seen some action over the first year or so of its life. It doesn't spoil it though- looks quite cool.

A few questions:

I notice there's no PCB in the control cavity- has it been rewired?

Are the pickups the stock ones covered or are they different altogether?

What make is the case?

Well I sent my first Tribute HB back becuase of the neck and fretboard situation and when I got the second one it had the same problem just not as bad. which can be seen in this picture where it was the worst. I took the picture where the problem was the worst around the third fret area.

IMG_2887.jpg

So I sent this guitar back and I'm waitong on number 3. If this one has the same problem I'm gonne get a different guitar and the bad thing is I really like these guitars except for the fact I've gotten two now with the same problem. If I do end up getting a different guitar I'm sticking with the Gibson family.

Nicefirst run goldtop! Looks to have seen some action over the first year or so of its life. It doesn't spoil it though- looks quite cool.

A few questions:

I notice there's no PCB in the control cavity- has it been rewired?

Are the pickups the stock ones covered or are they different altogether?

What make is the case?

Hi Alan! Yeah, it`s a good one...I think it`s one of the first Thomann offered. I play it a lot and it`s starting to show... [drool]

The guitar has been rewired with a prewired assembly from Crazy Parts.

Prewired Assemblies

It now has custom made 500 k CTS pots, 50s wiring and Bumblebee Caps. I love how the high end is retained when I turn back the volume. On 5 or 6, the bridge pickup almost sounds like a Tele.

The pickups are Classic 57 / Classic 57 plus since they are highly regarded in hollowbodies...and a chambered Les Paul is essentially a Hollowbody, right? [smile] They sound fantastic. Lots of clarity and sparkle while nailing that classic FAT, bassy Gibson tone. I fear that Burstbuckers might sound thin in a Tribute.

I also added a lightweight aluminium tailpiece.

Finally, the (really nice) case is made by Gator. Nice quality, affordable and looks a lot like the old 90s Gibson cases

Les Paul Case

I currently have a Custom Shop `59 RI borrowed from a friend and the (modified) Tribute holds its own. The biggest difference is in the attack. The Tribute has a softer response due to the chambering. Both sound great though!

Cheers,

Max

It is with some disappointment that I have to send my Tribute gold top back to the dealer. I'm getting a refund and am not sure which route I'm going to go after it is applied back to my account.

The problem is a factory defect that definitely should have been noted during the Gibson inspection. The strings do not cross the polepieces on the bridge pickup correctly. The three unwound strings do not even cross over the polepieces on the bridge pickup. The unwound "E" string is at least 1 - 2 mm off of the edge of the polepiece, moving toward the other side of the fretboard, wound "E" side.

The wound "E" string passes over the fretboard at the same distance from the edge all the way down the neck. The unwound "E" string progressively moves farther in from the edge of the fretboard as it passes toward the bridge. By the time the strings cross over the bridge pickup the unwound "E" is way off the polepiece.

It is not a matter of adjusting the pickup or the pickup mounting rings, because the strings track down the entire fretboard incorrectly, as if the neck itself was set slightly angled to the right from the mediian line of the body when it was put on. The neck should be centered on the median line of the guitar body so that the point in the center of the bridge pins lines up with the mid point of the top of the headstock, so that everything is in line with equal distance on each side of the neck, all the way down the neck from the median line.

I have never seen a neck that was so off center as this one is.

So back it goes and I'll have to think it out.

I may decide to get another Gibson faded LP studio, like my brown one, but in the transparent faded red. If I do this I will put a set of Gibson 57 classics and classic plus in it so that it has a different voice from my brown faded studio.

Another option I'm considering is getting the Fender '72 Classic Player series Telecaster Custom. It is the one with the big Fender Wide Field humbucker at the neck position and the four control knobs like the LP. It is a solid body with a rosewood or maple fretboard. I will have to decide on the fretboard if I get this. It is a great sounding guitar. I played one at a store near where I live.

Just checked mine that I'm sending back. It also has a wider neck than the fretboard. Both sides are approximately 1 mm wider than the fretboard, consistently all down the neck. It must be a specification problem in the guitar's design. That should have been specified differently in the design, or the edges of the neck should have been trimmed to be flush with the ffretboard - in my opinion. I noticed that early on but dismissed my concern, attributing it to the way the guitar was put together. I figured that they knew about it at Gibson and that they were okay with it. Now I realize that it probably should have been corrected in production or pre-production.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought mine could have been just the only one. These forums are very good for getting information out.

Archived