Gibson Brands Forums

Ned Steinberger Gibson 20/20 bass

Thanks. Been to this a ton of times. Some good info, and I'm in touch with FLy himself. I was hoping that someone from Gibson trolls the threads and could shed some light. Otherwise, I'll call Ned when he gets back from MusicMesse.

Thanks again!

Hi, I have both colors, Ferrari Red & Luna Silver, (to my wife's dismay!) I have most info available on them, I'll post it in a few days. Walter Carter thought that only 12 were made, the concensus on the Last Bass Outpost is that there are less than 100. If you search for Gibson 20/20 on ebay, a few advertisements pop up.

19872020sFerrariRedLunaSilver-1.jpg

Cool looking basses. How do they play & sound?

They have a cool baseball bat neck, the balance is good. The sound is a bit thin for some tastes. It has active pickups.

20-20Cat.jpg

This catalogs binding cracked when I opened it, ouch!!

Bass arrived! Paid $400 and sort of pissed I did. Its in bad shape. Fixable but bad.

It had a toggle wired in, and the input jack is broken. One tuner is bent an missing the knob but Roger at Sperzel is fixing me up best they can. The bass will live again.

Today I disassembled her and cleaned everything. This was covered in dirt. Thanks to a pic on FlyGuy's website I have a wiring picture, so I can restore it..

I'll post pix soon. Can one of you call me at 732-966-3385?

Thanks!

Most of the circuit is built in the pickups, leaving only a battery in line & the normal pots, etc... Parts are kind of hard to come by on these, I've been keeping my eye open for another neck. Pickups seem to show up on eBay fairly often even though most sellers don't know what they are for. I've contacted Jules at Fly Guitars also, the serial numbers on his & the two of mine are within five numbers! He & I have two of the few Ferrari Red 20/20's I've been able to locate. I've seen a total of four posted on the internet.

2020pickupback.jpg

Here is an update:

Tried to rewire it back to normal per the picture on Fly's website. I think I have it right but now can't tell if the pickups are functioning correctly.

It is serial number 83417683

Ferrari Red (well used to be, but the paint is really bad)

The Steinberger signature and 20/20 on the upper horn are still decent.

The pickguard has a hole in it for an afternarket toggle and the corner by the upper horn is broken off.

I had to replace every screw on the pickguard as well as all the hunbucker screws and springs. It was missing all the springs and the screw heads were stripped.

All the tuners work. Thanks to Roger at Sperzel, I have replacement spacers and knobs on the way, so the tuners, once I straighten the one post, will all be back to good function.

I'm on the fence with painting this, as the paint is really bad.

I'm still glad I rescued her from some guy in Baja Mexico, but I might go onto the PayPal and dispute the charge.

tom

• 8 years later...

The Gibson 20/20 is a very rare bass, designed by Ned Steinberger after Gibson acquired his company. They weren’t very popular & not many were made.  Members of “The Last Bass Outpost” blog have discussed this bass in great detail. Several of us own them. We believe that somewhere between 50 & 100 were produced. I think it’s closer to 50. Also, “The Gibson Bass Book” written by a member of the Last Bass Outpost is an excellent source of info on this bass.

I had never seen one before, (like most people!). I run into one in a local pawn shop. After a while it started to grow on me in an odd way. I went to pick it up and was told that it was just purchased by Beck’s road manager. It was quite a while before I would run into another one that I would eventually buy. Justin Meldal-Johnsen years later sold some of his basses on eBay, his 20/20 was in the lot. I asked another ex Gibson employee (Randy Lenard?) on another forum if he remembered it. He said that it came and went like a flavor of the month without much interest.