Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339, How to tell which neck I have...

Tufi

Hey there, I did a search and read some topics on here and still couldn't find a solution.

I recently purchased a Gibson ES339 Cherry Red and am curious which type of neck I have.

I tried playing an older ES339 and it had a thinner neck feel to it. When buying the guitar I was told it was a 30/60 neck.

The model number is the CoA book says: ES339ARDNH1

I am lead to believe the 1 at the end means it's a 30/60 neck from dealers websites.

Any help would be very much appreciated;

thank you in advance!

Off hand I can't help you with what the numbers mean but it only came in two different neck sizes. If it was a 50's neck it would be a big fat feeling neck like a baseball bat. If you can wrap your hand around it fairly easily then it's a 30/60 neck. Of coarse if your hands are huge then a 50's necki might not feeI as big but a 30/60 would probably be to small for you.

My ES-339, Antique Red, also has a 30/60 neck and I just checked the COA and it also has a "1" at the end. I own two ES-333's which have a much thinner neck and I do love the 30/60 profile. I don't know why they don't use it on more models...

In this case you would need to look at the product codes.

If it says :

ES339ARDNH1

ES339AVSNH1

ES339LCBNH1

it means the guitar has a 30/60 neck.

If it says:

ES3399ARDNH1

ES3399AVSNH1

ES3399LCBNH1

it means the guitar has a 59 neck; the extra 9 indicates the 59 neck.

If it says :

ES339ARDNH1

ES339AVSNH1

ES339LCBNH1

If it says:

ES3399ARDNH1

ES3399AVSNH1

ES3399LCBNH1

As StijnV says, the extra "9" in the code means a 59 neck profile and the code without the "9" means a 30/60 neck. I have owned both versions of the 339 and prefer the 30/60 profile. As to why we don't see more models with the 30/60 profile in store, it is pretty simple. The dealer has not ordered them. Pretty much any model from the custom shop should be able to be ordered with a 30/60 profile.

Neck sizes are not that big of a deal to me. My LPs are both 50s, my Sonex is very thin, the Strats are thin too, and the PRS is wide thin. I got used to all of them. When I saw and played the 339 I just loved it. It has the 30/60 neck but I would bought it no matter what neck it had on it. I practice on acoustic and I've learned to play tunes like YYZ on all of my guitars.

If it says :

ES339ARDNH1

ES339AVSNH1

ES339LCBNH1

If it says:

ES3399ARDNH1

ES3399AVSNH1

ES3399LCBNH1

Thank you so very much! This neck is just perfectly sized to allow a full grip with thumb over the top; the thicker neck may have made it a strain.

This guitar is beautiful in sound, feel, and looks! The vibrations tickle the tummy...

Thank you again for the clarification.

Archived