Gibson Brands Forums

Help with my gibson j 180

Chulainn

Hello just joined this forum to try and find some more information on my guitar, that im planning on selling.

Its a 1991 gibson j-180 and its a limited edition? its marked inside the guitar on the sticker thing as 51/ 100 ? anyone know why this is a limited edition and its hand signed by a Ron ferguson? it also has the originall case with a bright pink (and original) padding as well as the cert of authenticity.

My questions are does any one know why its a limited model?

how much its worth? does the case and cert add value ? as well as being a limited?

why is there no information on the guitar thats limited to 100 being from 1991?

i will try to upload some pictures if i can thanks :)

chulainn

post-44873-094604200 1340370698_thumb.jpg

post-44873-067449400 1340370748_thumb.jpg

The signature is of "Ren Ferguson", he was the head master luthier at the Bozeman plant since it opened until last year.... the number means it's 51 or a limited run of 100 guitars, however there's no guarantee that 100 were made as they tend to be made on receiving an order for them. Value, I'm not so sure about, however, that's for others to tell you based on what I'm about to say.... I could be interested, depending on where you are based, are you in the US or the EU?

Cheers

The signature is of "Ren Ferguson", he was the head master luthier at the Bozeman plant since it opened until last year.... the number means it's 51 or a limited run of 100 guitars, however there's no guarantee that 100 were made as they tend to be made on receiving an order for them. Value, I'm not so sure about, however, that's for others to tell you based on what I'm about to say.... I could be interested, depending on where you are based, are you in the US or the EU?

Cheers

Thank you for your help, im based in the Eu in Scotland I could possibly deliver once its been valued and heres some more pictures to help valuation.

post-44873-071486300 1340373835_thumb.jpg

post-44873-016281800 1340373870_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your help, im based in the Eu in Scotland I could possibly deliver once its been valued and heres some more pictures to help valuation.

I should say i have more pictures around 50 but there is a 500 km limit :/ anyone know if this renews every day ?

That looks like the 'Billie Joe Armstrong' limited edition. Apparently limited to a run of 100 guitars in 2011.

Seen them go on ebay for around $2500 US.

Here is one on a site in Europe. http://en.euroguitar.com/guitar/gibson/billie-joe-armstrong-signature/141088.html

Yes i really does it think they must be based around the same thing only diffrence i can see is at the head of the guitar has Billie joe in it which this does not and the year on the cert of auth says this is made in 1991 not 2011 but ive owned this guitar longer than that , thanks anyway really aprecciated.

If I recall the J-180 designation came about in the mid-1980s when the guitar was being built in Nashville. I think 1991 was the first year they came out of the Bozeman plant. Gibson being Gibson they bounced back and forth between calling the model the J-180 and the Everly Bros. during the 1990s.

Don't know about value. I think the case and certificate will not add value but will help you get top dollar as folks generally like to have everything that originally came with the guitar. I am guessing it really depends on how many "limited runs" Bozeman did over the years and as always just where the market for those guitars stands at the moment.

If I recall the J-180 designation came about in the mid-1980s when the guitar was being built in Nashville. I think 1991 was the first year they came out of the Bozeman plant. Gibson being Gibson they bounced back and forth between calling the model the J-180 and the Everly Bros. during the 1990s.

Don't know about value. I think the case and certificate will not add value but will help you get top dollar as folks generally like to have everything that originally came with the guitar. I am guessing it really depends on how many "limited runs" Bozeman did over the years and as always just where the market for those guitars stands at the moment.

The J-180 appears on the first price list to come out of Montana. It was in 1990. Suggested retail was $1535.00 Gibson made 23 in 1990.

In 1991 they made 134. The price list for 1991 has the guitar listed under a catagory of "1991 Gibson Limited Edition Guitars" There were several other guitars in this catagory: L-1 Reissue- $ 1,480.00

J-180 $ 1,627.00

Nick Lucas $ 1,799.00

J-185 $ 1,894.00

SJ-200 $ 4,522.00

With the number limited to 100 it looks like Gibson just kept churning them out and ignored the 100 limit. The extra 34 probably didn't get the certificate.

The J-180 appears on the first price list to come out of Montana. It was in 1990. Suggested retail was $1535.00 Gibson made 23 in 1990.

In 1991 they made 134. The price list for 1991 has the guitar listed under a catagory of "1991 Gibson Limited Edition Guitars" There were several other guitars in this catagory: L-1 Reissue- $ 1,480.00

J-180 $ 1,627.00

Nick Lucas $ 1,799.00

J-185 $ 1,894.00

SJ-200 $ 4,522.00

With the number limited to 100 it looks like Gibson just kept churning them out and ignored the 100 limit. The extra 34 probably didn't get the certificate.

http://frettedamericana.com/product/1991-gibson-j-180ae

this site had one for sale, a lower number with the same case thanks for all the comments, still looking for more valuations ? thanks again

nice looking guitar!

there's one key difference (maybe more) between this guitar and the everly brothers model. I think i've seen them both ways although the traditional bridge that you have on yours seems to be most popular.

The string through bridge:

457_1963GibsonEverlyBrothersGuitar_Top.jpg

nice looking guitar!

there's one key difference (maybe more) between this guitar and the everly brothers model. I think i've seen them both ways although the traditional bridge that you have on yours seems to be most popular.

The string through bridge:

457_1963GibsonEverlyBrothersGuitar_Top.jpg

Yeah thanks man :)

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I own the #100/100 of the Gibson J 180 Everly Brothers Nice to know the other 99 sisters.

Gus DB

Hello just joined this forum to try and find some more information on my guitar, that im planning on selling.

Its a 1991 gibson j-180 and its a limited edition? its marked inside the guitar on the sticker thing as 51/ 100 ? anyone know why this is a limited edition and its hand signed by a Ron ferguson? it also has the originall case with a bright pink (and original) padding as well as the cert of authenticity.

My questions are does any one know why its a limited model?

how much its worth? does the case and cert add value ? as well as being a limited?

why is there no information on the guitar thats limited to 100 being from 1991?

i will try to upload some pictures if i can thanks :)

chulainn

Archived