Gibson Brands Forums

SG standard / EB bass questions.

onemanband

The Sunburst would be my choice for an EB also. 4_17_206.gif

I've noticed that (I think) we seem to share a common taste in basses. For a long time I have played, a Gibson SG standard bass (love it dearly, apart from the neck dive, although it's not a huge issue) and like you, I have recently acquired a Fender "Pawn Shop" Mustang bass that again sounds superb, plays beautifully and is an overall excellent instrument, but again short scale.

You and I recently exchanged a few posts on this forum regarding the new Gibson long scale EB bass, so I thought I'd let you know that I have "pulled the trigger" and bought one in (as we both preferred) Sunburst finish. I should receive the instrument tomorrow (Thursday) so I can gig it over the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on if you wish.

The only downer is that I have had to sell my beloved SG to fund the new one, but never mind.

Cheers................Brianthebass

I've noticed that (I think) we seem to share a common taste in basses. For a long time I have played, a Gibson SG standard bass (love it dearly, apart from the neck dive, although it's not a huge issue) and like you, I have recently acquired a Fender "Pawn Shop" Mustang bass that again sounds superb, plays beautifully and is an overall excellent instrument, but again short scale.

You and I recently exchanged a few posts on this forum regarding the new Gibson long scale EB bass, so I thought I'd let you know that I have "pulled the trigger" and bought one in (as we both preferred) Sunburst finish. I should receive the instrument tomorrow (Thursday) so I can gig it over the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on if you wish.

The only downer is that I have had to sell my beloved SG to fund the new one, but never mind.

Cheers................Brianthebass

I hope you love the new bass to the MAX. I do basically the same thing you must be doing. Sell one to acquirer the other. [rolleyes] Pics of the new BEAST! Please. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Well, finally got my new "EB" bass today, and after a few hours noodling around on it, I can honestly say that it's fantastic; I'm absolutely delighted with it!!

When I first opened the case, I must say, I was a bit "underwhelmed" and disappointed; as previously mentioned, the wood grain has not been filled and the finish looked a bit cheap, but I must say, it "grows" on you pretty quick, its another of those quirky, unique Gibson type things; and now I love it!!

When I first picked it up, I was stunned how light it was compared to my Mustang, and doing the "bathroom scale" test it comes in a full 1.25 lbs. lighter!!

This suits me perfectly as, following a serious illness and consequent weight loss, the weight of a bass has always been an issue, (hence the opening question); but now I have a lightweight, long scale, solid bass that suits me perfectly.

The set up was bob on (for me), neck relief, string height and intonation, all absolutely perfect and the neck has a lovely profile and is a joy to play.

Plugged it in to my TC electronic BG250 combo (1 x 15), and nearly demolished the house..... jaw dropping low end [biggrin] Then I set about discovering all the possibilities from there upwards and (again as previously mentioned), the range of sounds available on this bass seem endless, mixing and matching the two humbucker pickups with the coil tap switching volume pots, plus the tone control too, seem to give all the sounds one could possibly want or need; truly superb!

I am going to re-string it with my own favourites (D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds), but that's just my personal choice, the bass is just amazing as it is, straight out of the box and absolutely amazing value for money!!

First gig with it tomorrow night but I'm sure that I have certainly found a keeper here, my first long scale...........thank you Gibson!! [thumbup]

Wow! That's a great sounding bass! A big Congrats Sir. If you like D'Addario flats, you should look in to the D'Addario ETB92 long scale Nylon Tapewounds. The neck feels that good? Interesting. [thumbup]

It sounds a whole lot like a Fender Jazz.

EDIT: I should expand on this a little. It sounds like a Fender Jazz, except you don't have to think about any dead spots on the neck, since it's a set neck. There are more sounds available, since the pickups are humbuckers that can be coil tapped. The street price for the one I saw was better than the street price for a USA made Fender Jazz, so it's a more versatile bass at a slightly lower price. If I was in the market for a Fender Jazz, I would probably go for one of these instead. I'm not in the market, and unfortunately, most people who are don't know it exists. Too bad, since it's a good bass.

Well, finally got my new "EB" bass today, and after a few hours noodling around on it, I can honestly say that it's fantastic; I'm absolutely delighted with it!!

When I first opened the case, I must say, I was a bit "underwhelmed" and disappointed; as previously mentioned, the wood grain has not been filled and the finish looked a bit cheap, but I must say, it "grows" on you pretty quick, its another of those quirky, unique Gibson type things; and now I love it!!

When I first picked it up, I was stunned how light it was compared to my Mustang, and doing the "bathroom scale" test it comes in a full 1.25 lbs. lighter!!

This suits me perfectly as, following a serious illness and consequent weight loss, the weight of a bass has always been an issue, (hence the opening question); but now I have a lightweight, long scale, solid bass that suits me perfectly.

The set up was bob on (for me), neck relief, string height and intonation, all absolutely perfect and the neck has a lovely profile and is a joy to play.

Plugged it in to my TC electronic BG250 combo (1 x 15), and nearly demolished the house..... jaw dropping low end [biggrin] Then I set about discovering all the possibilities from there upwards and (again as previously mentioned), the range of sounds available on this bass seem endless, mixing and matching the two humbucker pickups with the coil tap switching volume pots, plus the tone control too, seem to give all the sounds one could possibly want or need; truly superb!

I am going to re-string it with my own favourites (D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds), but that's just my personal choice, the bass is just amazing as it is, straight out of the box and absolutely amazing value for money!!

First gig with it tomorrow night but I'm sure that I have certainly found a keeper here, my first long scale...........thank you Gibson!! [thumbup]

@ onemanband: Congratulations on your new purchase! Your lines are telling me that it could be an interesting bass for me, too. Sadly, they are pretty scarce here in Germany. I am rather disappointed that it is no longer available at Thomann's where I went to by car several times in the past and soon will drive to again. Same fate happened to the SG Standard basses. I had one in Worn Ebony sent last week from Leipzig which is about the same distance as Cologne for me, and another one in Heritage Cherry will soon arrive from Cologne. I restrung the first with flatwounds while I will stay with roundwounds with the one to come.

@ Gaolee: To my experience, this could be another Gibson bass which is heavily underrated by the public and especially by musicians, of course. Sadly the lack of popularity may depend on missing availability, too. A shop in Munich which is the nearest bigger dealer to my dwell would be able to provide one in Satin Ebony within about a week, and it would cost me about 250 Euro less than one in my preferred Natural Satin finish I could have sent from Cologne. Too bad that I like the Natural Satin much over the Satin Ebony, and that I won't be able to check it out before the buy...

I was thinking the only thing I would like to see on this bass would be a pickup blend knob with a center detent, what do you guys think?

Yes! A very good point. The Fender American Deluxe's have the center detent. it gives a good reference point.

Yes! A very good point. The Fender American Deluxe's have the center detent. it gives a good reference point. 4_17_206.gif

Hey There Rex, The last time I had a chat with you, I was drooling all over that snap of your SG Bass and whining about no Lefty version. My my my, how things have changed like all of a sudden. Gibson has had a change of heart towards Southpaws and started releasing Lefty versions of some of their Basses. I snagged a SG Bass in Worn Cherry and then jumped on an EB in Natural. Wow, these are Awesome! Now, if only Fender would make a Lefty Mustang Bass in Natural Ash with a Maple fretboard, that would be most Groovy indeed. Stay Groovy and I'll Catch You on the Flipside!

Hey There Rex, The last time I had a chat with you, I was drooling all over that snap of your SG Bass and whining about no Lefty version. My my my, how things have changed like all of a sudden. Gibson has had a change of heart towards Southpaws and started releasing Lefty versions of some of their Basses. I snagged a SG Bass in Worn Cherry and then jumped on an EB in Natural. Wow, these are Awesome! Now, if only Fender would make a Lefty Mustang Bass in Natural Ash with a Maple fretboard, that would be most Groovy indeed. Stay Groovy and I'll Catch You on the Flipside!

Howdy! Good news on the Southpaw Side Of Town. (SSOT) It's about time a guitar company has the financial nads to offer lefties. BRAVO!

• 1 month later...

I was thinking the only thing I would like to see on this bass would be a pickup blend knob with a center detent, what do you guys think?

Pickup blend knobs in a passive circuitry do load down treble and resonance when turned anywhere in between the extreme positions, and you may never listen to only one pickup due to crosstalk. In active instruments none of these points is an issue if controls are attached to the active side, not to the pickups themselves.

Pickup blend knobs in a passive circuitry do load down treble and resonance when turned anywhere in between the extreme positions, and you may never listen to only one pickup due to crosstalk. In active instruments none of these points is an issue if controls are attached to the active side, not to the pickups themselves.

that's good to know.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I see the SG bass called "30-inch scale" on the distributor sites. For example this Sweetwater page:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BASFWCCH-13/

Is it really 30, or 30.5 inches? I thought Gibson short was 30.5?

Brian

Hi,

My understanding is that the 2013 SG basses were 30.5 scale - I've measured my Faded Ebony leftie and it is 30.5. The 2014 models are being listed as 30 inch.

2013 states that the fingerboard is 'baked maple' (presumably due to their little 'local difficulties' with Rosewood) whereas the 2014 is back to Rosewood.

Don't know what the difference it makes to the sound/intonation etc but the 'old stock' 2013s are about £150 cheaper at Thomann than the latest models.

I'm guessing Gibson just had a price increase, and with the 120 Year Anniversary Models out, why not. :unsure: The Heritage Cherry SG Std.'s were $1,399., they jumped to $1,525. OUCH!

Archived