Gibson Brands Forums

bridge & tail piece

the dog

Both my Les Paul and Explorer have the Tune-o-matic.

I was wondering because I don't know and want to learn, is the tune-o-matic a good bridge and tail piece? If so why and if not why.

To me it seems very good.

Are there better ones and why?

Both my Les Paul and Explorer have the Tune-o-matic.

I was wondering because I don't know and want to learn, is the tune-o-matic a good bridge and tail piece? If so why and if not why.

To me it seems very good.

Are there better ones and why?

The tune-o-matic is just the bridge not the tailpiece. Nothing wrong with tune-o-matic bridges but there are plenty of alternatives out there which just slot onto the posts.

As to the tailpiece this is usually just a stop bar with the strings threaded through. Again nothing wrong with the standard Gibson fare. However, some of us like the fine tuning TP6 tailpiece because it has a greater mass (theoretically helps sustain)and provides the extra fine tuners.

Here is a link to the TP6:

http://store.gibson.com/tp-6-stop-bar-tailpiece/

The tune-o-matic is just the bridge not the tailpiece. Nothing wrong with tune-o-matic bridges but there are plenty of alternatives out there which just slot onto the posts.

As to the tailpiece this is usually just a stop bar with the strings threaded through. Again nothing wrong with the standard Gibson fare. However, some of us like the fine tuning TP6 tailpiece because it has a greater mass (theoretically helps sustain)and provides the extra fine tuners.

Here is a link to the TP6:

http://store.gibson.com/tp-6-stop-bar-tailpiece/

Love the TP-6 and use it wherever applicable, seven of them at the moment. Since they don't make them in black chrome and nickel, I stayed stock with my CS Les Paul which by the way has an aluminum lightweight tailpiece, and my Government Series II Explorer.

I have also seen recently of a Tune-o- matic bridge and stop bar tail piece with set screws to lock them to posts.

So if you take off all six strings bridge and tail piece stay in place.

Opinion on those?

bridgesetscrew_zps445d1bb7.jpg

setscrews_zps072e3d4b.jpg

Alright...thanks for that info.

Does the ball on the guitar string go thru that slot on the TP-6 stop bar?

Do those tuner knobs behave like a Floyd Rose?

The ferrules are black but I think it should be visible how it works. The fine tuners behave like those of a Floyd Rose. When strung up, it looks like this, here on a Les Paul guitar:

TP-6_zps80306c91.jpg

The ferrules are black but I think it should be visible how it works. The fine tuners behave like those of a Floyd Rose. When strung up, it looks like this, here on a Les Paul guitar:

TP-6_zps80306c91.jpg

I see it much clearer now.

Thank you very much for that..

I have also seen recently of a Tune-o- matic bridge and stop bar tail piece with set screws to lock them to posts.

Opinion on those?

One of my Les Paul guitars came with these. The locking Tune-O-Matic is still there, the locking stopbar had to go for a TP-6. I don't care if TOMs or STPs are locked since I usually change strings one by one, and in case I want to clean the guitar I remove TOM and STP anyway. B)

I got one of those Wilkinson Roller Bridges on one of my RabsWood guitars... does the job well [thumbup]

thumbnail_zps05a82536.jpg

TOM bridges are good as they allow for a lot of fine intonation in a very quick and easy way.... As long as your saddles are cut well and don't break strings I cant think of much wrong with the design.

One of my Les Paul guitars came with these. The locking Tune-O-Matic is still there, the locking stopbar had to go for a TP-6. I don't care if TOMs or STPs are locked since I usually change strings one by one, and in case I want to clean the guitar I remove TOM and STP anyway. B)

Is there any benefit sustain wise?

Opinion on those?

I have those on my 2008 Standard... they are great... as you say the main advantage is that they stay put when you change the strings.. Also I guess some may say that locking them in place reduces unwanted vibrations, but the strings hold them in place pretty well so I don't know how much that really effects anything or not... also that model comes with locking tuners which I really like... Makes changing strings just that much quicker.

Is there any benefit sustain wise?

Locking and non-locking parts make no difference, as well as a brazen stopbar and a TP-6. An aluminum lightweight tailpiece changes the tone a lot with creating intense compression and allows for lower string action, but the sustain is the same, too.

Locking and non-locking parts make no difference, as well as a brazen stopbar and a TP-6. An aluminum lightweight tailpiece changes the tone a lot with creating intense compression and allows for lower string action, but the sustain is the same, too.

Interesting...thank you so much...

How can an aluminum stop tailpiece allow you to have lower string action than any other tailpiece mentioned. In my pea brain, I can't make sense of it. How could tailpiece material have anything to do with the ability to have low string action? Please educate me.

Archived