Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson warranty (outside the US)

Tim Plains

A question to our non-American members. Does anyone else living outside the US think Gibson's warranty for guitars not purchased within the US is a crock?

I live in Canada about 45 minutes north of the border. If I drive into the US and buy a Gibson, I get a lifetime warranty on the guitar; if I buy that same guitar here in Canada, I only get a one-year warranty and that warranty isn't through Gibson. Gibson sells their guitars to Yorkville Music (the only authorized Gibson distributor in Canada) and YM then offers us a one-year warranty. The guitars are sold to YM as is. "As is" like buying a used car that's a pile of junk. [lol]

This is why I often say that Gibson's warranty is useless. This, and the fact that any modification voids the entire warranty.

What warranty is offered in your country?

Same here man. At my L&M, if they don't have a guitar in the back and the only one they have is on the floor, theyll give it to you, then order the new one in... one of mine also came with missing parts. Im really questioning the one year warranty.

There's a thread on this subject in the acoustic forum.

My take - If Gibson is setting their prices based on lifetime warranty cost projections, everyone paying those prices should get the full lifetime warranty. AND if Gibson chooses to limit the warranty, the price of the guitar should reflect the corresponding savings in limited warranty repairs.

"Warranty" (as a matter over and above whatever your local consumer-protection laws require) is a marketing tool.

I'd guess most folks want to believe that they're purchasing "the best" and that there isn't a need to worry about stuff like that at all.

If QC issues are non-existent and/or are not widely known, purchasers will continue to buy "the best" with no worries.

When (or if) sales ever suffers because of perceived QC issues, a manufacturer will usually hawk a good-sounding warranty to ally those fears.

I personally wouldn't be satisfied with $30 off the price of a guitar against the utter lack of usability of the last two I purchased.

Archived