Gibson Brands Forums

1st 339 w/Bigsby?

guytar1

Beautiful guitar my friend. Is that concidered a plain or figured top? It looks figured but I don't know if you have an option
Thanx Mark, it's just a standard order 339 from Musicians Friend. Maybe I got lucky and got a little figure in the top.

Oh' date=' that is sick! Must have more pics so I can show Santa what I want.[/quote'] Sometimes you just got to give in to the sickness! Stock 339. Added the Bigsby myself,however, I made some mounting adapter plates as not to drill holes till I am sure of the tone difference or playability. Did lose a little tone...but I'm not yet familiar with the idiocincricies of Bigsbys. Reversability is good.

I love it. The finish is certainly unique. The Gibson website doesn't say much about the finish' date=' so I'm curious about it too... [/quote']Thanx Rocketman, Standard antique red thats on all 339s. My old guitar teacher has an 06 335 but the red is much lighter...339 is a bit more "burgundy"? BTW great collection you have there. I had a sonex myself...way back when I had hair. Damn, I miss that one.

Thanx Rocketman' date=' Standard antique red thats on all 339s. My old guitar teacher has an 06 335 but the red is much lighter...339 is a bit more "burgundy"? BTW great collection you have there. I had a sonex myself...way back when I had hair. Damn, I miss that one.[/quote']

Oh boy, you are giving me a serious case of G.A.S. with that 339. I went to GC today but they didn't have one. Can you tell us about any major sound differences between the 339 and 335?

Also, what did you do with your Sonex? I actually hadn't played guitar for about a 10 year span (had the Sonex since I was 13). When I bought the first LP I started doing a general Gibson search and found out that people were buying up old Sonex's. I literally hadn't opened the case up in years. I lived in Texas and had moved up to Western New York. When I did open it, the Sonex was in real bad shape (the Texas humidity took its toll on it). It took me a good month's worth of hard work and with the help of a guitar tech who straightened the neck by putting shimmies at the bottom of the neck (as you know it's a bolt on), the guitar plays like new again! It does scream and is the perfect hair band ax.

the 339 does not sound like a 335. i bought mine sight unseen off of ebay for cheap. i gambled and have been relatively satisfied. part of me wishes i had just spent the extra money on the 335. the memphis tone circuit in the 339 is lame. once you turn the volume down to about 6, the guitar just quits....

as for the sound, the 339 nevers gets that real hollow sound that a 335 gets. if a 339 is between a 335 and a LP, i would say it stays closer to the Les Paul. YMMV. now to be fair though, i bought an SD-1 on friday, and found the right setting that just makes the 339 sing....very freddy king like.

Oh boy' date=' you are giving me a serious case of G.A.S. with that 339. I went to GC today but they didn't have one. Can you tell us about any major sound differences between the 339 and 335?

Also, what did you do with your Sonex? I actually hadn't played guitar for about a 10 year span (had the Sonex since I was 13). When I bought the first LP I started doing a general Gibson search and found out that people were buying up old Sonex's. I literally hadn't opened the case up in years. I lived in Texas and had moved up to Western New York. When I did open it, the Sonex was in real bad shape (the Texas humidity took its toll on it). It took me a good month's worth of hard work and with the help of a guitar tech who straightened the neck by putting shimmies at the bottom of the neck (as you know it's a bolt on), the guitar plays like new again! It does scream and is the perfect hair band ax.[/quote']I've only played a 335 a handfull of times, but, best I can say is the tone is similar , just slightly less volume? Thats with the stop tailpiece. With the Bigsby, I noticed about 10%to 20% less sustain . I must say, when I recieved the Bigsby, it came with felt pads under the screw holes which is totally against my thinking that good solid contact to the body would be better for tone. I placed the pads under the adapter plates thinking thats how Bigsbys work. I'll add more pics so keep an eye out. As far as the Sonex... I wish I knew what happened to all of the sweet pieces I had as a "kid". I've had a Gretsch Corvette, old Gibson amp, Marshall 50 plexi head . Dunno for sure what happened,didn't realize what I had.

Archived