Gibson Brands Forums

A little history of the (S)J-100

Jayla

Here’s a little history, undoubtedly incomplete, of the Gibson (S)J-100 guitar, based on information I found here and there on the internet. That being the case, I can’t vouch for it being 100% accurate, and if I have made some errors, or if any of you have any information that either disproves, corrects, or completes anything I have written below, I hope you’ll add it. My reason for putting this together was to learn something about my guitar and share it with you all here.

In 1939 Gibson created a lower-priced, relatively no-frills version of the popular Super Jumbo that they had introduced the year before. With the introduction of the newer model, the original was named the Super Jumbo 200 and its lower-priced cousin the Super Jumbo (or SJ) 100. Both models had a 17” lower bout, but the SJ 100 was purportedly shallower than the SJ 200, had none of the fancy appointments of the latter model, and cost approximately half the price of its $200 predecessor. Here's a brief write-up and pix of a first-year production SJ 100, and here's one of a “prototype” SJ-100.

The SJ 100 was apparently a very popular guitar and considered a good value for the money. It had mahogany back and sides, spruce top (the above SJ 100 had an Adirondack top), a bound body and bound maple neck, two pearl dots on the bridge, and ebony fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, and kluson tuners. These early SJ 100s sported sunburst finishes. The SJ 100 was discontinued in 1943. There are pix and a brief write-up of a 1940 SJ 100 on the Gruhn website here.

It would be almost thirty years before Gibson reissued the guitar, which it did in 1972. The J-100 as it was called retailed for less than $500. The body depth was increased to nearly that of the SJ-200, and the necks were now made of mahogany, as opposed to maple on the earlier model. Here are some pix of a 1972 J-100. It is apparently an usual model, with mahogany back and sides, a cedar top, and a teardrop pickguard. The lister says that only 140 of these guitars were made. Apparently, on the whole the J-100 was not as popular as the earlier models, and it was discontinued in late ’74–early ’75, with only some 300 guitars sold during that period.

The J-100 was reintroduced in the 1980s, but I’ve found conflicting reports as to when exactly. Some say production began in ’85, some in ’87. Whatever the case may be, you’ll find some info on and pix of a 1984 pre-production “prototype” J-100 here.

When the J-100 went back in production (in ’85 or ’87), the first guitars were made in Nashville, but in 1988 Gibson shifted production to Bozeman. These J-100s were made of European sycamore, which were supposedly excellent. Apparently Gibson had a stock of this wood purchased years before and used it on the new J-100s. When the sycamore ran out, Gibson switched to mahogany, then maple. These late-’80s J-100s had black pickguards, rosewood fingerboards with pearl dot inlays, rosewood bridges with two black pins, and nickel tuners with pearl buttons. The sycamore-topped guitars were painted black; the mahogany- and maple-topped ones were available in sunburst and natural finishes.

Gibson continued production of the J-100 into the 1990s, and made two special versions based on the SJ 100 of the late-’30s: the J-100 XTRA (1991) and the SJ-100 Centennial Limited Edition (1994). I’ve not been able to find pix of either of these. I’ve also read that production ceased on these guitars in 1997, but do not know if this is true. At any rate, here are some examples of J-100s from over the last ten years or so. They show the different wood combinations and appointments on these guitars, the current incarnation of which is the SJ-100 Modern Classic.

Here's a 1999 J-100 with mahogany back and sides and a spruce top.

And a 2001 J-100 XT with maple back and sides and a spruce top. Note the abalone rosette and black binding.

And a 2003 J-100 XTRA with maple back and sides, spruce top, cream binding, and crown inlays on the fingerboard.

And a recentish J-100 XTRA (don’t know the date) with bubinga back and sides and a sitka top.

Finally, here’s Gibson’s page of the current production model, the SJ-100 Modern Classic.

And that’s all folks!

Oh, one last thing. The sources for all the above info can be found at the links below. I encourage you to check them out as they contain details and personal judgments on the various (S)J-100s that I did not include in my summary.

http://www.gibsontalk.com/message-board-forum/about1124.html&highlight=j100

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic/msg/ab70d4c18c265c91

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2006/04/gibson-super-jumbo-100-j-100.html

http://www.guitarseminars.com/gs/viewtopic.php?p=10704&sid=f79a4c8cc534b3b03326b1c29

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/j100.html*

*For some reason I can't get this last link to work properly. You'll have to cut and paste it into your browser.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sycamore is a type of maple and would never have been used on tops. They bought a massive amount in the 70s and when Kalamazoo shut down in '84 the sycamore was shipped to Nashville for use. After Nashville slowly ceased production of acoustics in the late 80s the sycamore was shipped to Bozeman and was used until the stock was depleted. My J200 translates to June 23, 1989 and is sycamore.

My father bought a new J100 in 1985 and it's unusual in that it has a J200 bridge. Someone just grabbed one out of the wrong pile I'm sure. The sides and back are sycamore. It's stuffed in the attic at my mother's house. I take it out once in a great while.

99i4jd.jpg

There was quite a bit of buzz when Bozeman came out with those sycamore reproduction J-100s and J-200s. They sounded real good. More buzz when they did the 12 monthly centennial reissues----the J-100s were thought by some to be the best of the lot. With the stairstep peghead, the amber tuners and the extra binding, they were certainly among the best looking. The one I played was terrific.

thanks for that. very informative. i believe that the 1st production year pic/link you posted featured the guitar that is at elderly and priced at 55K. i also know a guy with an '89 j200 (paid 1900cdn for it in 1990) and i always wondered why it sounded so much beastier than others i've heard. maybe it's the sycamore.

I wonder where the new SJ-150 MC fits in..

From a glance on the gibson website, it looks like the 03 J100 Xtra

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Acoustic/Modern%20Classics/Super%20Jumbos/SJ-150%20Maple/

And a 2003 J-100 XTRA with maple back and sides, spruce top, cream binding, and crown inlays on the fingerboard.

My 2002 Xtra looks just like the 2001 above, except for nut and saddle, and mine has much nicer flamey maple back. Everything else is identical. Mine has a pickup too, dont know what it is.

Those sycamore models must be a sight to see. Either beautiful or butt-ugly depending on your tastes. Here's some sycamore for ya...yikes....H670.4.jpg

Kee-Rist, that's wild. My J200 is plain Jane as plain jane could be.... but I bought it based on sycamore legend. I spoke with Jason at Gibson for about an hour one time and he said sycamore was a really nice wood to work with and a lot of people really like the tone.

Those sycamore models must be a sight to see. Either beautiful or butt-ugly depending on your tastes. Here's some sycamore for ya...yikes...

I used to have an '89 J-100, made with the sycamore b&s.

Famously, later it became the "Brother Bob J-100", then thereafter moved up to the Great State of Alaska, where it is currently doing time as the "Wade Hampton J-100".

Its wood was very plain, mildly figured at best. Most of the sycamore J-200s I've seen were spectacular to listen to, but quite plain to look at.

Fred

My 2002 Xtra looks just like the 2001 above' date=' except for nut and saddle, and mine has much nicer flamey maple back. Everything else is identical. Mine has a pickup too, dont know what it is.

Those sycamore models must be a sight to see. Either beautiful or butt-ugly depending on your tastes. Here's some sycamore for ya...yikes....[img']http://www.lutherie.net/H670.4.jpg[/img]

Damn, That **** would scare the spots off a giraffe...

Oh Yeah' date=' Thanks Jayla, for the pictorial example of the '72 J-100 in your 'history' post. That would be my 'beast'. A great sounding guitar and a simplistic beauty as well...RRod[/quote']

You're welcome.

Thanks for your signature -- best one I've read in a long time!

Oh Yeah' date=' Thanks Jayla, for the pictorial example of the '72 J-100 in your 'history' post. That would be my 'beast'. A great sounding guitar and a simplistic beauty as well...RRod[/quote']

wow. that's yours? curiously beautiful! the upper bout looks to be close to the same size as the lower. the tone must be quite meaty, right?

Cunk, The one picture sort of makes it look that way, but it is standard jumbo size. The 25-1/2" scale and very light build gives it a nice bass/treble balance. It is an awesome rythym machine. It has an X-braced top as well, un-like most of the early 70's Gibsons. RRod

Yes, it is mine. The pics are from my photoweb page. I have several albums of guitars and amps(past,present) pics. I choose to make them public viewing. A lot of times they will come up on a google search list.

I bought this J-100 in '92-'93. The previous owner had just purchased a new BLONDE J-200.....and didn,t see the need in having two jumbos. Unlike him, I don,t mind having more than one! I have a Westerly Guild JF-30(maple/sunburst) that absolutely 'speaks' to me also. They are worlds apart in tone and playability. RRod

http://community.webshots.com/user/retrorod53

Yes' date=' it is mine. The pics are from my photoweb page. I have several albums of guitars and amps(past,present) pics. I choose to make them public viewing. A lot of times they will come up on a google search list.

I bought this J-100 in '92-'93. The previous owner had just purchased a new BLONDE J-200.....and didn,t see the need in having two jumbos. Unlike him, I don,t mind having more than one! I have a Westerly Guild JF-30(maple/sunburst) that absolutely 'speaks' to me also. They are worlds apart in tone and playability. RRod

http://community.webshots.com/user/retrorod53

[/quote']

nice collection, RR! everything from the custom retrorod tele w/2-p-90s to the johnson seahorse! your jf-30 looks sweet as i am currently lusting after a couple guild jumbos. there's an f-50 at elderly and a black jf30 on ebay for a pretty good price at the moment. great stuff! thanks for the link.

I just wanted to thank Jayla for the posts and history on the J-100. My first "real" guitar was a 2002 J100xtra, gorgeous flamed maple b/s, black binding, abalone rosette and abalone dots on the fretboard. A beautiful guitar, and a rhythm machine indeed, but also a terrific fingerpicker. I've since moved on to smaller bodies, but the J-100 holds a special place in my heart, and I'd love to have another one someday. Btw, I know that the common perception is that maple gives a cold, hard sound, but that wasn't my experience at all. Mine had plenty of sustain, beautiful mids and trebles, combined with a deep bass and great clarity. An exceptional instrument.

Also, wanted to say that I've tried several of the newer Bubinga models, and all of them have been very, very nice. Thanks again Jayla for these threads, and also to everyone who posted links.

Also' date=' wanted to say that I've tried several of the newer Bubinga models, and all of them have been very, very nice. Thanks again Jayla for these threads, and also to everyone who posted links. [/quote']

the user reviews at harmony central rate this guitar very high. very high on my "must try/have" list.

Here are some pix of my J-100 XTRA, beginning with a full shot:

3d114d7aca.jpg

And here's one of the back, though the pic doesn't do justice to the 3-D quality of the figured bubinga:

cee2ee7b31.jpg

Headstock:

227555ef01.jpg

A shot of the top, which barely shows the silking on the sitka:

d31fd02892.jpg

This pic of the lower bout top shows the beauty of the bubinga grain:

741cabf74c.jpg

As does this shot of the neck joint:

f7f920ddc3.jpg

And that's that.

VERY nice looking jumbo, Jayla! Damn, that sounded like jumbolaya..... Anyway, nice wood patterns. I especially like the looks of your guitar without the pickguard. It just empasizes the nice round body shape of the Gibson Jumbo! Bata-boom bata-bubinga....sweeeet! RRod

Archived