Gibson Brands Forums

Bad Albums by Bands/Artists You Like

kaleb

Well... you don't know what it's like until you've heard it! Also, a bad album might have two or three good tracks on it, too. [cool]

I agree, I have loads of slightly suspect albums that do have a gems on (anything by the coral) also with some albums, you're not keen at first by then they grow on you

@J.R.M. Why? Collectors and completists. I will complete my collection of whomever's recordings on LP sooner or later AND file them in chronological order THEN in alphabetical order within the archives. And, for all you know or care, listen to them in order too. Some are better than others. Pompous, moi?!!

Here are some famous fusion trainwrecks. I have every one.

1)John McLaughlin/Mahavishnu Orchestra; "Inner Worlds". Oh dear....so bad it's....bad. Includes the laughable "Planetary Citizen" ("are you ready to be?") but wait; writer and bassist Ralphe Armstrong sued Massive Atttack when they sampled this for a zappy sports gear ad...he got enough to send his son to college and much more.

2) Larry Coryell; "The Real Great Escape". Don't sing, Larry. Please don't sing. Why have I still got this LP? I don't know. Yes I do. It's terrible but the solo on the 2nd track is beautiful. Was beautiful. To my ears. Once. At least his wife doesn't sing on this one. I mean at least she's not very audible.

3) Return To Forever; "Romantic Warrior". The classic bete-noir of fusion, to that genre what 'Lark's Tongues' or 'Topographic Oceans' are to prog-rock. 90% pretentious and well over 100% preposterous, but Al DiMeola's 'Majestic Dance' might raise some excitement. Or not. Climaxes with the "Duel Of The Jester And The Tyrant - Part I & II". Let me out.

4) Joe Zawinul; "My People". This is getting serious now. There are 11 tracks, 4 of which are perhaps good. -ish. But the brilliant jazz composer and legendary keyboardist/bandleader sinks to a real nadir on "In an Island Way".

5) Miles Davis; "The Man With The Horn". Not as bad as 'Doo-Bop' in fact, as Miles was still alive for this. Justabout. Introduced Mike Stern to the wider world with the brutal solo on "Fat Time" but CBS didn't understand that the album title and song would cause an awful lot of mirth and schoolboy sniggering in the UK and Europe. Like 'Free Willy'.

I have to say, you can't have the good albums by these people (whose music I love) - or anybody - without the bad ones!

Archived