Gibson Brands Forums

Bad Albums by Bands/Artists You Like

kaleb

Aerosmith- Just Push Play, KISS- Psycho Circus, Gene Simmons- Asshole (well, I only like Gene within KISS...that's about it), Frehley's Comet- Second Sighting, Paul Stanley- Live To Win, Led Zeppelin- In Through The Out Door, Van Halen- Balance, Peter Criss- One For All, Metallica- Load, Re-Load, St. Anger (a trio of bad albums), Rush- Presto, et all.

These are merely personal opinions. Share yours.

Think Tank and 13 by Blur, 22 Dreams by Paul Weller, Anna by the Courteeners, Humbug by The Arctic Monkeys, Empire by Kasabian, Hot Space by Queen, Combat 1984 by The Clash, Whiplash by James and pretty much anything before Help (maybe not Hard Days Night) by The Beatles to name but a few

... All of these albums do have at least one or two good songs though, to be fair.

Metallica - Death Magnetic and Reload. I really like Load, and St Anger had the most interesting sound any metal band has made since the early 80s. Awful songs though.

Iron Maiden - Everything after 7th Son (pretty much. Every song is great live)

Guns N' Roses - Yea, guess..

Led Zeppelin - None of the albums are bad, but you could scoop out a couple of albums worth of bad songs.

Pink Floyd - Most of the old stuff is crap. Interestingly weird crap, but crap. From Meddle to The Wall is awesome, and the rest is more crap.

Dire Straits - The first two albums are so awesome they put all the others to shame, even though they're pretty good too.

That covers most of my old favorites. Everything else I like is always good [thumbup]

The Road To Escondito by Eric Clapton and JJ Cale. Huge Clapton fan, and by all rights i should have loved this album. Only played the CD 2 times or so (maybe I should give it another chance), just didn't warm up to it. At all.

There's a few KISS albums that don't do it for me even if I do like the songs. The production has a big effect on the listener.

Dynasty and Unmasked: Great songs (albeit a lot of crap for me personally...."Tomorrow" for example), production turns them into bubble-gum candy.

Crazy Nights- Great songs, too polished production (it was produced by Ron Nevison...)

Hot In The Shade- Same thing

The latter two had no balls and too much keyboards. It was them trying to be Bon Jovi.....

Lol,, Dude,, The White Album was one of my favorite Beatles album.

But then again, I'm not much into the early Beatles for anything other than the nostalgia of it.

Musically, and for my ear, I love the Beatles starting at about Revolver where they started to get "experimental".

But that's just me. lol

not condoning anything,, just expressing my opinion

Yeah, a lot of folks feel that way. Personally, I love the early stuff, as well...

because I grew up on it, at just the right time/age. It sounds (and was/is) very

"pop" now...but, back then, it was GREAT "Pop!" Especially in comparison,

to what was going on (aside from Motown), "Pop" wise, at that time.

But, regarding the "White Album"...at first, I was "smiling" a lot, at what seemed

to be a "put on," by The Beatles, regarding some of the songs, on that particular album.

Even Lennon admitted (as did George Martin who once said they "probably should have edited

it, into one 'Great' single album, instead of a 'good' double"), more than a few songs, were

just to see what they could "get away with." And (obviously), they did! LOL It was part

of their "charm," and an extension of their personalities...musically, to "put us on," now

and then! [thumbup][biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

Santana Havana Moon. With Willie Nelson? Come on.

Most of the stuff Santana has put out since the late-80s has not done anything for me at all. Spends too much time either playing with other artists or covering well-known songs.

His version of "Back In Black" with that rapper was beyond laughable, at least to me.

I might give his new one a spin, though.

I like the White Album a ton, but I don't think it's very cohesive like, say, Sgt. Pepper or even Abbey Road.

To me, it is their equivalent of the 1978 KISS solo albums only wrapped up in one double album. Some great, memorable stuff, some great deep cuts, some weak songs, some stuff you don't wanna hear again. That's what it was, really. A John Lennon solo album, a Paul McCartney solo album, a George Harrison solo album, and a Ringo Starr solo album crammed into one package.

And, much like the KISS solo albums, we all know which member hit perfection! (George and Ace! My heroes!) No offense, Paul...(both McCartney and Stanley).

...and we all know which member(s) didn't succeed so well....I'll get flamed for saying this, but I feel the same way about some of John's songs on the record as I do Gene Simmons's solo album....Not Lennon's best moments IMHO.

The SECOND album by almost everybody.

Like I said in the OP, Frehley's Comet- Second Sighting...

Unlike most other people whom dislike the album, I like Tod Howarth's songs ("It's Over Now", etc) off the record. I just think Ace's performance was lacking (except for "Insane" and "Juvenile Delinquent").

And Anton Fig didn't play drums on it, so it lacked the swing he brings to the music.

It's follow up, Trouble Walkin', was a much better effort IMHO and it is my favourite of all of his solo albums.

Why would anybody ever own a "bad" album anyway, even if it's your favorite artist, who you like. Don't purchase one, throw it away if you've got one, give it to someone you don't like, sell it on E-Bay, do something other than owning it! Easy huh! [cursing]

I accidentally minused you. I meant to plus. Sorry

I plussed him for you. While I disagree in several specific cases, I get his point and often find the first "effort" to be by far the best, or most interesting.

Why would anybody ever own a "bad" album anyway, even if it's your favorite artist, who you like. Don't purchase one, throw it away if you've got one, give it to someone you don't like, sell it on E-Bay, do something other than owning it! Easy huh! [cursing]

Well... you don't know what it's like until you've heard it! Also, a bad album might have two or three good tracks on it, too. [cool]

Most of the stuff Santana has put out since the late-80s has not done anything for me at all. Spends too much time either playing with other artists or covering well-known songs.

His version of "Back In Black" with that rapper was beyond laughable, at least to me.

I might give his new one a spin, though.

Yep. I was glad for his comeback and that Supernatural won all the Grammy's it did. But it was so bad. If the new one you are referring to is "Shape Shifter", it's awesome. I think it's his newest. All instrumental.

Lol,, Dude,, The White Album was one of my favorite Beatles album.

But then again, I'm not much into the early Beatles for anything other than the nostalgia of it.

Musically, and for my ear, I love the Beatles starting at about Revolver where they started to get "experimental".

But that's just me. lol

Revolver and the white album are both ace, the white album was what got me into the Beatles... Although it is a bit...er...eclectic

not condoning anything,, just expressing my opinion

Archived