Gibson Brands Forums

J200 Three Piece Back

Grainiac

Bought a 1994 J200 with a 3 piece back. Never seen another. I called Gibson about it and they said they didn't keep any records about how many got 3-piece backs. They suggested that the guy at the plant (he called him by name - Ren?) probably saw the pieces of maple that looked like they'd make a good back. Anybody got any info on this? The guitar has a sensational sound, and has excellent action. Gibson necks are tops, especially for my big fat fingers.

Bought a 1994 J200 with a 3 piece back. Never seen another. I called Gibson about it and they said they didn't keep any records about how many got 3-piece backs. They suggested that the guy at the plant (he called him by name - Ren?) probably saw the pieces of maple that looked like they'd make a good back. Anybody got any info on this? The guitar has a sensational sound, and has excellent action. Gibson necks are tops, especially for my big fat fingers.

IIRC, Bob ("rar") on this forum bought a nice (beautiful actually!) J-200 with a 3-piece back at Homecoming #1 a number of years ago.

That was a real fine guitar, as I recall. I'd hazard a guess that these are typically "Custom" orders; certainly not 'standard' production-run guitars.

Fred

IIRC, Bob ("rar") on this forum bought a nice (beautiful actually!) J-200 with a 3-piece back at Homecoming #1 a number of years ago.

That was a real fine guitar, as I recall. ...

Here's a couple of pictures:

J-200_back.jpg

j-200-back.jpg

I understood that the three-piece back was an exclusive feature of the J-200 Royal (pronounced "Royale"), but this is Gibson we're talking about. The motivation is the usual one for a three-piece back (boards that are too narrow for a two-piece back), but I think it worked out well on this guitar. I haven't heard a koa J-200 that I really like -- although that could happen any time, because the tone of koa varies almost as much as the appearance -- but the maple center panel probably contributes to this one sounding like an especially smooth and mellow maple J-200. People are always skeptical when I say I bought it for the tone, but it was by far my favorite sounding J-200 among a good-sized bunch at Music Villa the 2006 Homecoming. Combine that with an insane deal and I couldn't resist.

-- Bob R

J-200_back.jpg

j-200-back.jpg

I understood that the three-piece back was an exclusive feature of the J-200 Royal (pronounced "Royale"), but this is Gibson we're talking about. The motivation is the usual one for a three-piece back (boards that are too narrow for a two-piece back), but I think it worked out well on this guitar. I haven't heard a koa J-200 that I really like -- although that could happen any time, because the tone of koa varies almost as much as the appearance -- but the koa center panel probably contributes to this one sounding like an especially smooth and mellow maple J-200. People are always skeptical when I say I bought it for the tone, but it was by far my favorite sounding J-200 among a good-sized bunch at Music Villa the 2006 Homecoming. Combine that with an insane deal and I couldn't resist.

-- Bob R

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!

I haven't heard a koa J-200 that I really like -- although that could happen any time, because the tone of koa varies almost as much as the appearance -- but the koa center panel probably contributes to this one sounding like an especially smooth and mellow maple J-200.

Bob,

But, that center panel is maple and the outer panels are koa, right?

J-200_back.jpg

j-200-back.jpg

(blahblahblah.....) I haven't heard a koa J-200 that I really like -- although that could happen any time, .... Combine that with an insane deal and I couldn't resist.

-- Bob R

Bob, you'll have to play my J-200 Koa someday. Mind you, it's a Ren-built red spruce top job, so it's even better than having Keds sneakers!

For some reason, my three browsers (IE, Firefox, Torch) seemed incapable of opening (what I'm sure are) your stunning photos...... I wonder what gives?

Fred

Bob, you'll have to play my J-200 Koa someday. Mind you, it's a Ren-built red spruce top job, so it's even better than having Keds sneakers!

For some reason, my three browsers (IE, Firefox, Torch) seemed incapable of opening (what I'm sure are) your stunning photos...... I wonder what gives?

Fred

I'd love the chance to check it out. Any chance you'll make it to the Homecomng this year?

The photos are just jpgs. Maybe the server doesn't like you?

-- Bob R

I'm still learning the ropes here. The pic of my all maple 3-piece back posted as a thumbnail, but if you click it (post #4), it pulls up the larger version. Anybody seen one like this? Gibson says they have no record of how many had 3-piece backs they put on J200s. This one is also a 1994 limited edition. A local preacher had it and he treated it not much respect.

Archived