Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone El-00

Rockabillybob

I have to admit, the small body, sunburst, attracted me to this guitar. I ordered one from MF and took a chance with a 15% off coupon. What do you expect from a $300 guitar? Well, I got more than I expected. It is a very appealing guitar in the looks department. Beautiful sunburst, seems to be solid and playable. I thought it sounded a little "thin", at first, but I had it set up by my local tech, and the guitar played so well. I plugged into my Crate Gunnison amp. Amplified, this guitar really beefs up. The under saddle Fishman pickup produces a really nice, full sound, with chords. The bass comes alive. I really like the size. Epiphone calls it a 00 size, but it fits comfortably into a Martin 000 size case. I'm taking this guitar out for a live gig in a week. Then, I'll hear what in can do in a live situation. So far, I really like the playability and plugged in tone of this guitar. For the past 12 years I've played only Martin 000 size guitars for gigging.

el-00_zps143a3d46.jpg

Thats cool! I've played several low end epis and they all sounded/played wimpy. Not sure I've played one of those, but I like what you say about it. Have you played a fender sonoran? They seem to be a around 350....but I really like epis. So......I'll have to try one [smile]

Glad to hear your like it..I'm in the market for a smaller size and while I'm somewhat partial to Epis....I'm doing my due diligence research on a couple other brands in the same ball-park price range....I seem to change my mind every day.

Thats cool! I've played several low end epis and they all sounded/played wimpy. Not sure I've played one of those, but I like what you say about it. Have you played a fender sonoran? They seem to be a around 350....but I really like epis. So......I'll have to try one [smile]

I haven't played a Fender Sonoran, but I do have a Fender Kingman acoustic. It's the "Elvis Presley model". Plays very well. A really nice rhythm type guitar with a big C shape neck. I've used it for recording a couple of times.

The Epiphone EL-00 seems to be one of those acoustics that benefits from being amplified. The Fishman Sonitone pickup sounds very good.

Kingman.jpg

Interesting post - in that I have always found the EL-00 to be thin sounding.

You young 'uns wont recall this but those Fenders originally had a large bar (we used to call it a broomstick) running the entire length of the body.

The Fender acoustic that has impressed me alot is that Tim Armstrong hellcat. Didin't have a cue who Tim Armstrong was when I ran across the guitar but that is one nice sounding little instrument for the money.

I bought 1 used a while back, Didn't care for the plastic saddle, nut, pins so I ordered replacements in bone from Colosi, made a huge difference for me, I also had the string spacing tweaked at the nut since it is kinda narrow,

I think for The $$ spent I have a nice rig and hope you enjoy yous as well

Interesting post - in that I have always found the EL-00 to be thin sounding.

You young 'uns wont recall this but those Fenders originally had a large bar (we used to call it a broomstick) running the entire length of the body.

The Fender acoustic that has impressed me alot is that Tim Armstrong hellcat. Didin't have a cue who Tim Armstrong was when I ran across the guitar but that is one nice sounding little instrument for the money.

+1 on the Hellcat. I've played the 12 string and really liked it! Would like to give the 6 a go. this is odd, in that I'm usually not thrilled with Fender acoustics. Also, +1 on not knowing who Tim Armstrong is; and another on your Bukka White quote!

+1 on the Hellcat. I've played the 12 string and really liked it! Would like to give the 6 a go. this is odd, in that I'm usually not thrilled with Fender acoustics. Also, +1 on not knowing who Tim Armstrong is; and another on your Bukka White quote!

I have not seen the 12 string. Bit I have seen that Fender has come out with another Hellcat - this one has a soundhole pickup.

I haven't played a Fender Sonoran, but I do have a Fender Kingman acoustic. It's the "Elvis Presley model". Plays very well. A really nice rhythm type guitar with a big C shape neck. I've used it for recording a couple of times.

The Epiphone EL-00 seems to be one of those acoustics that benefits from being amplified. The Fishman Sonitone pickup sounds very good.

Kingman.jpg

Ok! Cool! Yeah I like those fishman pickups. I got a Fishman prefix plus in my Taylor 314......very nice little pickup. Played a few others with fishman. Very happy with them. So how do you feel about the sound/value between your two guitars?....which one seems more........fun...?

Archived