Gibson Brands Forums

2012 Les Paul Traditional

rickslespaul

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bonamassa Studio is awesome... nice and heavy, love the neck, sweet pickups (BB2/3)... if you can get your hands on one, I would definitely not hesitate

I'm definitely gonna look into it cause like I said, I've heard a lot of good things about. I great to have someone like you to tell me about. First hand advice...

I can't find the scratch or dent, just no plastic cover on the guard. And they marked it down 53% so I got it at a great price. I am very satisfied with it.

hey man, did you fix the "screw" on your pickguard yet? I tightened mine on the LP Studio... the screw head is now flush with the pickguard...

let me know if when you do it. Cool?

Mine was warping because of the location of the two screw holes. The one on the bottom was a little too far towards the bridge side of the guitar. So, when both screws were tightened, it caused the little metal bracket to rotate slightly. I tried to fix it by tweaking (bending) the bracket but made it worse. I have a new bracket and guard on order from GC. I may have to drill another hole on the bottom side about 1 or 2 mm's closer to the neck side to make it work, I'll keep you posted. It doesn't look that bad now but i notice it.

8655799493_54f94e92b0.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that the guard is dish-shaped by the screw.

Mine was warping because of the location of the two screw holes. The one on the bottom was a little too far towards the bridge side of the guitar. So, when both screws were tightened, it caused the little metal bracket to rotate slightly. I tried to fix it by tweaking (bending) the bracket but made it worse. I have a new bracket and guard on order from GC. I may have to drill another hole on the bottom side about 1 or 2 mm's closer to the neck side to make it work, I'll keep you posted. It doesn't look that bad now but i notice it.

8655799493_54f94e92b0.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that the guard is dish-shaped by the screw.

Holy crap man, that's really warped!!! I didn't realize how warped that was. There's nothing to do with that except order a new pickguard and brackets. And maybe like you said, drill holes elsewhere and hope for the best. Keep me updated on this repair...I'm interested in the results... Thanks for sharing man.

-Rick

I just purchased a Caramel Burst(or honey burst)Traditional about a month ago. I bought a Marshall amp as well to go with it. I havent played in a long time and decided to get back into it. I absolutely love it, I kind of regret getting out of it for a while. But being a bored to death 52 year old I believe its never too late. I owned a Stratocaster back in the 80's, that was OK, but this Les Paul >IMO< is a lot better in sound. I was torn between the Traditional and the Standard, played both, but decided on the Traditional for a $800 less, wasnt that big of deal in quality/sound/looks.

Oh Yeah! Right On! I got a Lefty Traditional in Caramel. Love it!

Oh Yeah! Right On! I got a Lefty Traditional in Caramel. Love it!

Caramel Burst? Wow never seen that I don't think...can you post a photo? I would be interested in seeing it. And welcome back to music. I also took a break for about 7 years, the usual stuff, got married, had a son, got a house, etc...etc... But got back into it 3-4 years ago and I've been buying up everything in sight... So I have lots of 2011-2012 made guitars & basses. I don't miss the equipment I had before...that was in the past, I'm looking forward now. I've been composing/writing songs again, writing music again, and collaborating with my cousin on the east coast where we are recording a CD "long distance". I don't regret the music break and I think it made me a stronger musician by doing so...

I actually like the features on the traditional more: lighter tuners, no push-pull pots, no compound radius.

Caramel Burst? Wow never seen that I don't think...can you post a photo? I would be interested in seeing it. And welcome back to music. I also took a break for about 7 years, the usual stuff, got married, had a son, got a house, etc...etc... But got back into it 3-4 years ago and I've been buying up everything in sight... So I have lots of 2011-2012 made guitars & basses. I don't miss the equipment I had before...that was in the past, I'm looking forward now. I've been composing/writing songs again, writing music again, and collaborating with my cousin on the east coast where we are recording a CD "long distance". I don't regret the music break and I think it made me a stronger musician by doing so...

I just purchased a Caramel Burst(or honey burst)Traditional about a month ago. I bought a Marshall amp as well to go with it. I havent played in a long time and decided to get back into it. I absolutely love it, I kind of regret getting out of it for a while. But being a bored to death 52 year old I believe its never too late. I owned a Stratocaster back in the 80's, that was OK, but this Les Paul >IMO< is a lot better in sound. I was torn between the Traditional and the Standard, played both, but decided on the Traditional for a $800 less, wasnt that big of deal in quality/sound/looks.

Here's one...

carmel burst

Holy crap man, that's really warped!!! I didn't realize how warped that was. There's nothing to do with that except order a new pickguard and brackets. And maybe like you said, drill holes elsewhere and hope for the best. Keep me updated on this repair...I'm interested in the results... Thanks for sharing man.

-Rick

Yup, badly warped. I do have replacements on the way.

-Rick

Got the new pick guard and bracket today and put them on. It looks great. But, due to the location of the screw hole for the bracket, the bracket does not sit flat on the bottom surface of the guitar. It starts to twist when the screw is tightened down completely into the wood. This will causes the new pick guard to warp as well unless i back the screw out a touch or drill a new hole. I opted to back the screw off a touch for now.

Got the new pick guard and bracket today and put them on. It looks great. But, due to the location of the screw hole for the bracket, the bracket does not sit flat on the bottom surface of the guitar. It starts to twist when the screw is tightened down completely into the wood. This will causes the new pick guard to warp as well unless i back the screw out a touch or drill a new hole. I opted to back the screw off a touch for now.

send me a picture to see. You think you'll end up drilling a new hole before it starts warping again?

1366343579[/url]' post='1363562']

send me a picture to see. You think you'll end up drilling a new hole before it starts warping again?

I'll post a pic later today. It's fine for now as long as I don't tighten the screw all the way down. Also, right now, The guitar looks so pretty I can't imagine drilling a hole into it.

I'll post a pic later today. It's fine for now as long as I don't tighten the screw all the way down. Also, right now, The guitar looks so pretty I can't imagine drilling a hole into it.

awesome man, I'm glad it worked out... I can't imagine how you felt when you saw that, I would have had a stroke!!!!

hi all,

just joined the forum after getting my 2012 gibson les paul traditional (my first gibson) a couple of weeks ago and this is my first post.

here it is, barely recognizable.. [tongue]

so far, i've done the following in sequence:

-replaced the truss rod cover with a plain one

-replaced the bridge, bridge posts, stop-tail and stop-tail studs with faber's nswkit

-added pointed knob markers from allparts

-replaced the knobs, pickguard, pickup rings and toggle knob with historic sets from the gibson store

-replaced the pickup switch washer with a lighter one from allparts

-replaced the bridge posts with faber's iNsert set

-replaced the pickup covers for gibson's nickel ones

-replaced the tuners with kluson sd90sln with allparts nickel ferrules

My_LP05_zpsd7d31161.jpg

hi all,

just joined the forum after getting my 2012 gibson les paul traditional (my first gibson) a couple of weeks ago and this is my first post.

here it is, barely recognizable.. [tongue]

so far, i've done the following in sequence:

-replaced the truss rod cover with a plain one

-replaced the bridge, bridge posts, stop-tail and stop-tail studs with faber's nswkit

-added pointed knob markers from allparts

-replaced the knobs, pickguard, pickup rings and toggle knob with historic sets from the gibson store

-replaced the pickup switch washer with a lighter one from allparts

-replaced the bridge posts with faber's iNsert set

-replaced the pickup covers for gibson's nickel ones

-replaced the tuners with kluson sd90sln with allparts nickel ferrules

My_LP08_zps3e77f7c2.jpg

welcome to the club man, glad to hear from you. Well... you sure have been busy with your new Les Paul haven't you? Are you thinking of replacing the pickups also?

Hi Zeke, haven't heard from you in awhile. So...how's the Les Paul? Sounds pretty good on a Marshall aye? You should post a pic of your equipment...

Talk to you soon...

1366384182[/url]' post='1363772']

awesome man, I'm glad it worked out... I can't imagine how you felt when you saw that, I would have had a stroke!!!!

Like I said this guitar was a scratch and dent and I saved a bundle on it. The new guard looks better, shiny and straight. The old one looked dull, warped and worn.

8663519665_bb296f3b9b.jpg

If you look closely, you can see how the bracket is not completely flat on the guitar. Tightening the screw all the way causes the bracket to twist. I'm just going to leave the screw snugged down as it seems fine as it is.

Archived