Gibson Brands Forums

335 or 339?

Johnnyguitars

Hello all! I am new to the forum. I currently own a 1957 VOS gold top , and a 1958 VOS in Faded tobacco. I am very interested in a semi hollow-body Gibson. I have heard a 335 will give you more bottom end and sound fuller than a 339. I have played the 335 and was amazed at the tone. My question would be, is it worth the extra $ for the 335 over the 339? I appreciate any input. Thank You!

Hello and welcome..

Im not really an expert on them.. But my experience is that for me at least a 335 is a bit too fat.. I like the smaller bodies like the 339.

Also something else to consider is a 336...

Its made more like a Les Paul and hollowed out from a solid body rather than having laminate back and sides... So I think with that you get the best of both worlds.. Its the same size as a 339 (in fact from the outside its hard to tell the difference between them).

As for sound I think the 335 will probably be the best if you don't mind the big body. But that as ever is just down to personal taste.

Happy hunting :)

Also on a side note.. If you like the 335 check this new one out.. Its a pretty cool and fairly unique colour :)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/Chris-Cornell-ES-335.aspx

Johnny,

I was having the same indecision, having a couple of Les Paul's myself, I found the 339 to be to much like a Les Paul, I wanted something different, so I opted for the 335.

I would suggest that you play as many as possible, because I found the difference between one 335 and the next one was immense (the same applied to the 339's).

Good luck and take your time.

Ian.

Thanks Ian. That's kind of my line of thinking also. I was considering that used 339 because not only of its beauty, but its price. I will play some more 335's and see which one speakers to me best. Unfortunately, a lot more cash lol. I have always believed that you get what you pay for! Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

You will never be sorry that you have an ES-335. I love mine. Incredible tone through my vintage tweeds. Will do just about any style of music. Mine is a Custom 1959 Dot Reissue from Nashville. I have bought and sold Les Pauls but this one is a definite keeper. Gibson now list this finish as "out of production". Glad I got one!

Tobacco-Burst-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

Archived