Gibson Brands Forums

Son sprays Fabric softener on my 2011 R8!!!

Johnnyguitars

Ok... So now that I am in a slightly better mood, my 3 yr old son who loves daddy's guitars and always sees me cleaning them, decides to spray Dreft fabric softener on about 6 guitars that were hanging on my wall. He thought he was cleaning them! Anyway, my strats and my PRS were a non issue cleaning up. However, my R8 has speckles all over it. I used Gibson's pump polish and then the restoration kit. Took the surface stuff off, but in the light you can see all these speckles. I think it ruined the nitro finish. I thank God my R7 was in the case. Anyway, what should I do? Call Gibson and send it to them? What would that cost? Or, do I just live with it? Honestly, most people wouldn't notice it, but I do. It bothers me. Any advice would greatly be appreciated! The guitar room is now locked!

So basically use the cleaner first, then polish it up? Will it take the dullness out of the VOS look? I really don't care honestly. I just want it gone. I will go on e bay and order the kit. I have heard about it, but wasn't sure about it on the nitro finish. Thanks!

So basically use the cleaner first, then polish it up? Will it take the dullness out of the VOS look? I really don't care honestly. I just want it gone. I will go on e bay and order the kit. I have heard about it, but wasn't sure about it on the nitro finish. Thanks!

Hey Johnny,

Naptha is safe for cleaning Nitrocellulose lacquer. It is recommended by the Custom Shop. You can get a quart for about $6 at the hardware store. It will clean deep without hurting the shine. Gice it a polish after cleaning. It works great for sweat clouds. Maybe it will take out the fabric softener. If this doesn't work you can go the autobody route using swirl remover and rubbing compound. I had a J160E that got alcohol on it and dug deep into the lacquer. I thought it was ruined. I gave it to my tech and he was able to get it back to perfect. It cost a few buck but was definitely worth it.

It is VOS so you are safe [biggrin] Some don't like the VOS gunk and polish it off to make their Lesters glossy anyway. Virtuosuo cleaner and polish will take off all that VOS gunk and with it the speckles and leave your R8 glossy.

Don't be hard on the boy. He's just trying to help. It'll probably be HIS R8 when he grows up so he can regret his actions later.

Archived