Gibson Brands Forums

anyone explain this ebay item?

blindboygrunt

I have no idea, but he has an interesting collection of stuff for sale. I'm torn between the 1960 ES 335, and the 499 Manx Norton........

(Both are overpriced, I think.)

Wonder what he means when he says "only for sale because I am being put out to pasture"? Maybe he's being made redundant, maybe something worse. In either case, I bet he has some interesting stories to tell, given what he's selling.

yeah the bikes nice :)

am just wondering if you get a bit of sandpaper and intructions for rubbing your saddle . would be a legitimate sale i think .

remember reading a few years ago of a guy who made a substantial amount by placing an ad in the new york times ( or one of the larger papers in the states ) 'tickle your fancy $1' was all it said with an adress to send it to. . the guy was a turkey farmer and sent the many thousands of folk who sent a dollar out of nosiness a turkey feather .

i'm gonna have to think of something

I just tried to ask what it was he was selling and got this response:

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high number of emails this seller receives, they aren't able to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.

So it looks like it is just like ObamaCare... "You have to pass the bill to find out what is in it" (Direct Quote from Nancy Pelosi)

So just buy his "thing" and you will find out what it is...

I have no idea, but he has an interesting collection of stuff for sale. I'm torn between the 1960 ES 335, and the 499 Manx Norton........

(Both are overpriced, I think.)

He's in the UK, remember. There aren't that many 1960 ES335s around on our side of the pond. Joe Brown had one which George Harrison coveted. Chris Dreja had a '61 or '62 in the Yardbirds. By the time Clapton got one it was a less desirable '64. By the time Harrison got his 345 it was even later. And they were pros with some money for instruments. Everybody else had Hofners. Everybody wanted Hank Marvin's Strat, but they just weren't on sale. Big Jim Sullivan only had a Gibson because Sister Rosetta Tharpe sold him her Les Paul. This 335 probably belonged to somebody important. And importing a cheaper one from the US would bring about a large import tax bill which might just make it cheaper to buy from Sunderland.

He's in the UK, remember. There aren't that many 1960 ES335s around on our side of the pond. Joe Brown had one which George Harrison coveted. Chris Dreja had a '61 or '62 in the Yardbirds. By the time Clapton got one it was a less desirable '64. By the time Harrison got his 345 it was even later. And they were pros with some money for instruments. Everybody else had Hofners. Everybody wanted Hank Marvin's Strat, but they just weren't on sale. Big Jim Sullivan only had a Gibson because Sister Rosetta Tharpe sold him her Les Paul. This 335 probably belonged to somebody important. And importing a cheaper one from the US would bring about a large import tax bill which might just make it cheaper to buy from Sunderland.

Interesting points. You would think the seller would know something of the history, if they are that rare in the UK. Wonder where Keef got his ES 355?

A really good all-original '59 ES-335 stoptail in the US seems to bring around $25-$30k now, down from the height of the market a few years ago. A '60 a bit less. Tremolo of any type knocks a fair amount off. I looked, but decided it was too rich for me, and got a Nashville-built '59 Historic for a fraction of that:

59ES335.jpg[/url]

Interesting points. You would think the seller would know something of the history, if they are that rare in the UK. Wonder where Keef got his ES 355?

A really good all-original '59 ES-335 stoptail in the US seems to bring around $25-$30k now, down from the height of the market a few years ago. A '60 a bit less. Tremolo of any type knocks a fair amount off. I looked, but decided it was too rich for me, and got a Nashville-built '59 Historic for a fraction of that:

59ES335.jpg[/url]

Keef's had his a while, hasn't he, but it's not a guitar I associate with the late 60s Stones. I think the photos of the recording sessions for Exile on Main Street might show it. He probably bought it on your side of the pond, n'est-ce pas? He must have been buying kit in the US quite a lot, really. Where else would he have got those tweed twins?

The dollars price sounds about right to me, but it's about par for the course that conversion to the British price mainly involves changing the dollar sign to a pound sign. We tend to pay the same number of quid for our instruments as you pay greenbacks for yours. In the past that has often meant paying near double the US price.

To be honest, this item was probably imported much later than the 1960s, by a collector, and at considerable cost. It probably doesn't have a back story to speak of. But that doesn't make it any less rare in the UK. Because nobody had them in the 1960s, they've had to be imported at great cost later. When they weren't popular or vintage, just old and cheap, nobody wanted them, and so nobody could be bothered to import them. So they were lacking when first produced, then lacking for want of popularity, and now lacking for want of readies to pay the extortionate asking prices.

As said before, I covet your Historic 59 in ahistoric red, though I'm very happy with my Howard Roberts Fusion. Strikes me that yours is a much better deal than a genuine 59. As in, you can afford to play it.

As said before, I covet your Historic 59 in ahistoric red, though I'm very happy with my Howard Roberts Fusion. Strikes me that yours is a much better deal than a genuine 59. As in, you can afford to play it.

Exactly! I don't have any rare, valuable guitars. I have some nice guitars--vintage and modern--that I don't mind playing ever day. If I only had the time......

I always associate those dot neck, mouse ear 335s with Dave Edmunds.

Ah yes. He knew the bride when she used to rock and roll.

I think I read somewhere that his is actually a '58, which is really very rare in the UK. Certainly his is the one I think of when it comes to blondes. I didn't realize he'd been doing this with it since the late '60s. Wonder how he came by his?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GpqYU3Nzbts

Ah yes. He knew the bride when she used to rock and roll.

I think I read somewhere that his is actually a '58, which is really very rare in the UK. Certainly his is the one I think of when it comes to blondes. I didn't realize he'd been doing this with it since the late '60s. Wonder how he came by his?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GpqYU3Nzbts

I was really hoping no one would post this clip. Somehow, Khachaturian on the electric guitar doesn't do it for me......

I was really hoping no one would post this clip. Somehow, Khachaturian on the electric guitar doesn't do it for me......

Really? I always thought he did this with panache. It's like Chuck Berry on Vodka and Red Bull. Certainly beats B. Bumble and the Stingers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Op2U-qGUDkg

Just goes to show that the Romantics were really doing prefabricated pop back in Moscow in the 1880s.

Archived