Gibson Brands Forums

New guts for the LP

cdouglas

My 2011 honeyburst LP got upgraded guts today: duncan sh1 in the neck, sh5 in the bridge, and the borsanova twenty dual mix wiring that is a version of the jimmy page wiring. Surprisingly it worked right off the bat considering how complicated the wiring is. I've only had a little time to play with it but its pretty amazing the number of different sounds I can get out of it now. Can't wait to have a few hours free to really go through it all. If anyone is interested in the wiring diagram, lmk and I will post it. It only took maybe 2 hours to complete it all.

Chris

I redid my dot recently with JP wiring and I was really pleased with the results. This was the schematic I used:

JimmyPage.jpg

There seem to be a few variations and I'm not sure I understand the ins and outs of all of them. What are the advantages of the borsanova version?

Here is the Borsanova version I built and all of the combinations:

No. PU BV BT NV NT

01* R dn == == dn neck humbucker

02 R dn == dn up neck screw coil

03 R dn == up up neck slug coil

04* T dn dn == dn bridge humbucker

05* T dn up == dn bridge dual (parallel)

06 T dn up == up bridge screw coil

07* M dn dn dn dn bridge and neck humbuckers parallel

08* M dn up dn dn bridge dual and neck humbucker parallel

09 M dn dn dn up bridge humbucker and neck screw coil parallel

10* M dn up dn up bridge screw coil and neck screw coil parallel

11* M dn dn up dn bridge and neck humbuckers parallel out of phase

12* M dn up up dn bridge dual and neck humbucker parallel out of phase

13 M dn dn up up bridge humbucker and neck slug coil parallel out of phase

14* M dn up up up bridge screw coil and neck slug coil parallel out of phase

15* == up dn dn dn bridge and neck humbuckers in series

16* == up up dn dn bridge dual and neck humbucker in series

17 == up dn dn up bridge humbucker and neck screw coil in series

18* == up up dn up bridge screw coil and neck screw coil in series

19* == up dn up dn bridge and neck humbuckers in series out of phase

20* == up up up dn bridge dual and neck humbucker in series out of phase

21 == up dn up up bridge humbucker and neck slug coil in series out of phase

22* == up up up up bridge screw coil and neck slug coil in series out of phase

The combinations signed with * should be fully hum-cancelling. Moreover, by turning down the neck tone to zero, the combinations 15-18 can be turned to a broadbucker ™ configuration with contemporarily more trebles and bass. The effect will be most evident with combination no. 16.

post-45396-077496000 1368113868_thumb.gif

last time I wired up a les paul. I went "OLD SKOOL" and did it in 50's dependant (I believe that this was the original wiring style for gibby LPs) I didn't muck about either, I bought vintage braided wire, switchcraft switch and jack, and spent a lot of time finding the right pots for the job and a lot of time testing different ones and looking for info online (Willy was a good help and source of info). I wanted to try and find really top notch pots with the best logarithmic tapers to suit my intended wiring scheeme. I also bought some really nice vintage output, vintage voiced pickups (they were surprisingly good value for money).

The end result was really good, and largely down to some really great quality electronics.

There was a seller on another site who was offering some amazingly good pre-wired harnesses for a reasonable price...I would have bought gear from him too but he was based in the US, and I simply was not willing to pay the import tax and duty fees adsociated with buying in from the States.

here is a link to his web site. It's really worth a look if you want quality gear.

My link

I've found that on neck HB's, spin-a-split is much better than coil cut. Coil cut gives you all or nothing, one coil or two. But with spin-a-split (which doesn't even require a push-pull) you can also get unbalanced coils and all the in between tones. That's part of what made the 'magic' in the 1950's PAF's.

Good Post!

Cdouglas and Mcgruff,

Congrats on jobs well done. Takes a lot to put together harnesses like those.

If those setups don't give you enough variety then I have no idea what could.

(just a small addition....the JP 50's version:)

jimmypage50s.jpg

Bigneil,

Got to love 50's dependent. (you know it is one of my favorites)

I was following your L.P. build until a couple of months ago...(camping season started)

How did it turn out?

Bluemans335,

Interesting setup. Never seen that one before.

Not sure I would give up the tone control.....still....

I'm going to have to give it a try. Great find!

dialatap.jpg

One and all...

How about some pics?

Willy

Bluemans335,

Interesting setup. Never seen that one before.

Not sure I would give up the tone control.....still....

I'm going to have to give it a try. Great find!

Spin-a-Split is so easy, you just make the tone pot a volume control for one of the coils. Dial in as much, or as little as you want. You get a combination of single coil and humbucker at the same time. I've never needed a tone control for a neck PU, I always want more treble in that slot, not less. The bridge is a different story...there you'd need a tone pot.

You know, you probably could wire both PU's to the one spin-a-split pot (neck tone pot converted to spin-a-split) and still use the bridge tone as originally intended, or as a push-pull for some other nefarious purpose.

Archived