Gibson Brands Forums

ES 137 CUSTOM ??

stapletop

I bought one last year after longing for one for many years. I had never played one but it was just one of those guitars that you see and have to have? Anyway, I bought it from "Musicians Friend" and when it arrived it was as beautiful as I expected. It sounded great un-amplified and was built perfectly. However, the neck was so huge, the shoulders at the nut so wide that I knew within 5 minuteds I could never get used to it. I have a number of Les Pauls one with a 50's neck profile that I find a bit tedious to play but, I can play it at a show for an hour. The ES-137 Custom neck was way too big for my small fingers.

IF you have large hands, fingers and love a 50's profile neck than you will absolutely love the ES-137 Custom. For me, the most comfortable neck I have ever played was my ES-339 60/30 neck which I stupidly sold to fund the purchase of the ES-137. Subsequently, "Musicians Friend" took back the ES-137 and refunded me in full. I then purchased the second guitar I had been lusting after for many years, an ES-347 (1990) which is now my go-to guitar for everything. So, while I am bitter about losing my ES-339 my story has a happy ending.

The ES-137 is a great guitar and sounds terrific. I also love Ebony necks...

Does anyone know if the ES 137 Customs have a 50s profile neck? Thanks.

The neck is fairly large, and until I dedicated a lot of time playing it I couldn't really bond with it. On the good side once you do get used to the neck everything else is a bit nicer. Here's my 03 that I bought new.

556235_534771429877678_1846006128_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

ES 137 Custom

Here is an ES 137 Custom being used totally inappropriately... [thumbup]

IMO one of the most beautiful guitars around... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Yeah! That song's title is perfect, regarding the choice of guitar to play it... It does speak to the ES-137 Custom's versatility with the Varitone Switch, though. I have one and there are many other places I would go with it before I wound up at that style. I mean, I've got an acoustic for that...

Yeah! That song's title is perfect, regarding the choice of guitar to play it... It does speak to the ES-137 Custom's versatility with the Varitone Switch, though. I have one and there are many other places I would go with it before I wound up at that style. I mean, I've got an acoustic for that...

[biggrin] Thanks for the comment [biggrin]

I usually play that and similar songs on 6 or 12str acoustic...

V

:-({|=

Archived