Gibson Brands Forums

Dry/dirty mahogany on lpj

newb

Hi,

I was in the local gibson dealer looking at the lpj (I've decided to get one :)) but the one in store had a scratch on ur maple cap and on the back the body had a lot of white deposits in the wood pores. It looked similar to the white deposits often seen on rosewood fingerboards.

As the lpj have no nitro finish just a think satin thy are prone to scratches I guess and porous. Has anyone ever seen this white kind of deposits on mahogany bodies, is is dry wood? Or dirty?

Also on a side note is there anything that can be used to buff out small surface scratches?

Thanks (btw I have not bought as of yet so cannot give pics )

The LPJ's do have finishes "all in grain-textured nitrocellulose lacquer" according to the site. I have heard that the finish is prone to wear, not sure if it can be buffed out as easily as a thicker gloss finish.

I'm not sure what you mean about the white deposits, I've never seen anything like that on rosewood. It's probably not "dry mahogany,"

Hello!

Regardless of the type of the finish, the wood ought not to crack!!! Cracking has nothing to do with the type of laquer applied, nor with how thin or thick it has been sprayed. It's the sign of improper drying of the wood.

White deposits form on the body of the guitar from improper polishing. If You do not rub off the polishing compound from Your guitar entirely, that's what happens. And that's the more fortunate case: if You're unlucky, it can discolour the finish badly as well.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Regardless of the type of the finish, the wood ought not to crack!!! Cracking has nothing to do with the type of laquer applied, nor with how thin or thick it has been sprayed. It's the sign of improper drying of the wood.

White deposits form on the body of the guitar from improper polishing. If You do not rub off the polishing compound from Your guitar entirely, that's what happens. And that's the more fortunate case: if You're unlucky, it can discolour the finish badly as well.

Cheers... Bence

After doing some research, it seems as this might be calcium deposits in the mahogany which is common in more dense mahogany. Not sure if it can be removed, other than by sanding which is not an option.

On the other side, if the maple cap has a small surface scratch (not deep at all) can these be buffed out?

Thanks for the help

Just to add some more info, I searched google and found this pic which is pretty much what it looks like:

mahogany.jpg

Also there are pics of an actual les paul with this here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/25485-lp-vintage-mahogany-finish-issue/

The one I saw was not as pronounced, but even on that thread nobody know what it is

Hello Newb!

I thought it`s something real horrible, but - I'd say it's even look nice. Here's my 2010 LPS Tribute:

LPST50WGCH5.jpg

But, - of course - if it disturbs You - rather skip it, and wait for another to pop-up.

As for the crack. I am not a luthier, so - obviously - I do not know all the tricks of that profession. Probably there's a solution for that. Then again, You'll have to spend the repair cost on a brand-new guitar. If there are so many things that bug You with that particular instrument, rather get another that's perfect.

Never rush buying a guitar! Take Your time!

Cheers... Bence

Hello Newb!

I thought it`s something real horrible, but - I'd say it's even look nice. Here's my 2010 LPS Tribute:

LPST50WGCH5.jpg

But, - of course - if it disturbs You - rather skip it, and wait for another to pop-up.

As for the crack. I am not a luthier, so - obviously - I do not know all the tricks of that profession. Probably there's a solution for that. Then again, You'll have to spend the repair cost on a brand-new guitar. If there are so many things that bug You with that particular instrument, rather get another that's perfect.

Never rush buying a guitar! Take Your time!

Cheers... Bence

Are there white marks on the back of your tribute? It's hard to tell from the picture.

I've asked them to order me a new one, which they obliged. I guess I'm just preparing myself to deal with these minor finish flaws as I saw to relatively new ones in store that have been scuffed very easily so there is no guaranteeing that the brand new one will be perfect, but it's the best I can hope for seeing as I've decided this is the guitar I want. I don't mind the calcium deposits, I just originally thought it was dirt in the pores, but if it's quite common I guess It's ok if it's on the new one.

The grain and white look is nothing unusual for mahogany. I had an older LP where from buckle rash the finish was completely worn off on a spot on the back - and that white look in the grain was there. Nothing really to worry about.

Archived