Gibson Brands Forums

who wants a music room like this ?

JuanCarlosVejar

How 'bout playin' your guitar AT the bar?

Done that more than a few times. You gotta keep an eye on the back door to know how you're going to escape when it hits the fan, however.

I once made the mistake of setting an open beer bottle in my guitar case. Took about a year to get it cleaned up to where it didn't smell. I can still see the slightly matted interior four decades later. On the plus side, every time I took my guitar out of the case, I remembered exactly how that particular stain got there. Sort of like the dings in your guitars.

Done that more than a few times. You gotta keep an eye on the back door to know how you're going to escape when it hits the fan, however.

I once made the mistake of setting an open beer bottle in my guitar case. Took about a year to get it cleaned up to where it didn't smell. I can still see the slightly matted interior four decades later. On the plus side, every time I took my guitar out of the case, I remembered exactly how that particular stain got there. Sort of like the dings in your guitars.

I got drunk one time when I was playng out..... I remember it was at the original Castlewood Country Club...which was Phoebe Hearst's home....(it burned down some years ago), and if it's possible, I played

worse than normal.... in fact, I really couldn't play at all....you'll note that I don't drink when I play now, ('cept maybe around family).

I wonder if you have 100 guitars, your love and appreciation of them is any greater than a person with only one?

When you have a lot of guitars (I have been there, believe me) you fail to develop a real relationship with any of them. In my mind, the ultimate limit to the number of guitars you own should never be more than 10. Even then, they have to be ten guitars that are different enough to give you something unique in each of them.

Too often, a collector/player spends a ton of time acquiring and researching instead of playing. You really have to focus on playing, and having a manageable stable of instruments to work with makes sense.

The way I like to deal with guitar acquisitions is this: I won't buy a new one until I have written at least three songs on the most recent purchase. That helps space it out and forces me to find the tonal sweet spot in the guitar I am writing with. Different guitars bring different inspirations. Be not afraid.

But no matter what, avoid the craziness of collecting all one type or model. I have seen several people who buy one Martin dread after another thinking they have something new each time. Even here, where the learned Gibson players stand, there are several forum members with a full stable of j45 variations. Keep the good one, sell the others, try something else.

Archived