Gibson Brands Forums

24.75" Non-Cutaway Masterbilts?

CBA713

Hi friends. I've been searching in vain for a Masterbilt guitar that has a 24.75" scale... and if you can find me one of those, super bonus points for a non-cutaway.

Does anyone have a guitar that fits these stips?

THANKS!

C

Hi friends. I've been searching in vain for a Masterbilt guitar that has a 24.75" scale... and if you can find me one of those, super bonus points for a non-cutaway.

Does anyone have a guitar that fits these stips?

THANKS!

C

Not a masterbilt

This what your looking for ? There is a Epi re issue which is 24.75

http://evansville.craigslist.org/msg/3743208428.html

Oops some how I messed up LOL on an edit

Not a masterbilt

This what your looking for ? There is a Epi re issue which is 24.75 Also here if you did have not seen it a wiki site with all the acoustics and scales

maybe it'll help you shop some . :)

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=FT-Series

http://evansville.craigslist.org/msg/3743208428.html

Cool... thanks a lot. That Epi J-45 is pretty great... not sure I like the color, but whatevs.

What's weird is I always thought the Texan was 24.75". Guess I'll stop trying to find one of those!

Thanks again for the resource!

C

If memory serves, the AJ-45 was NOT short-scale (despite the fact that a Gibson J-45 is famously short-scale), but long-scale like most other PacRim Epis. I remember that being a bone of contention a few years back when it was available. I'm sure you'll run across a few threads and posts about it if you use the search funtion. That's my recollection anyway.

I believe the only short-scale Epi acoustic currently is the EL-00.

Red 333

Geez, I must be a total jackass for wanting a 24.75" scale Epiphone acoustic. Not even the Epiphones that are modeled after Gibsons have that scale. Apparently out of their whole line they have one, the EL-00, which is a tiny little thing.

That's disappointing that something as iconic as the J-160E has a 25.5" instead of the authentic 24.75. Oh well.

C

Geez, I must be a total jackass for wanting a 24.75" scale Epiphone acoustic. Not even the Epiphones that are modeled after Gibsons have that scale. Apparently out of their whole line they have one, the EL-00, which is a tiny little thing.

That's disappointing that something as iconic as the J-160E has a 25.5" instead of the authentic 24.75. Oh well.

C

The only thing that makes you a jackass is your disappointing failure to thank the people on this thread who provided information to help you. Which is no tiny little thing. Oh well.

Red 333

Hi friend. I wasn't implying that anyone here was calling me a jackass... just airing my frustration about having to search for mythical and seemingly unnecessary models of guitars... there's like a million billion of them out there, yet still not enough diversity.

And I did say thank you, twice, in a post above. My recent post had nothing to do with anyone else... sorry you took offense to it.

I did mean my thanks, sincerely, to the contributor who gave me the list of Epiphones and their scale lengths... I've looked at it many times over the last few days. So I'll say it again, THANK YOU for that resource. And thank you Red333 for clearing up the issue on the Epi J-45's longer scale... it's too bad that they elongated them.

I guess I'll just keep looking for a J-45.

Thank you,

C

Hi friend. I wasn't implying that anyone here was calling me a jackass... just airing my frustration about having to search for mythical and seemingly unnecessary models of guitars... there's like a million billion of them out there, yet still not enough diversity.

And I did say thank you, twice, in a post above. My recent post had nothing to do with anyone else... sorry you took offense to it.

I did mean my thanks, sincerely, to the contributor who gave me the list of Epiphones and their scale lengths... I've looked at it many times over the last few days. So I'll say it again, THANK YOU for that resource. And thank you Red333 for clearing up the issue on the Epi J-45's longer scale... it's too bad that they elongated them.

I guess I'll just keep looking for a J-45.

Thank you,

C

That was a classy response. I apologize for my post, and hope you continue to visit and contribute to the forum.

You might try looking at the new Gibson J-35 if you want a short-scale guitar similar to a J-45. It's essentially a J-45 Standard with a natural top, sides and back, and a 30's Gibson headstock and logo. They retail for $1699, and can be had as low as $1300, which is a fantastic deal on a new Gibson with full lifetime warranty.

Red 333

Hey there Red.

Great suggestion. I'm just learning a little more about the J-35 too, and it seems like a lot of people on this here forum really like those. A lot of excited NGD J-35 posts, so that says a lot. Still trying to get a handle on the J-35, J-45, and J-50 differences, if any... Mainly I just want a killer Gibson acoustic guitar that is 24.75" and doesn't have any electric properties; I'm sure the right one will come along, I'm just as anxious as everyone else to actually have one in my hands. Now I'm crossing into the subject matter of some of my posts in the Gibson forum, so I'll continue there!

Thanks and kind regards,

C

Hey there Red.

Great suggestion. I'm just learning a little more about the J-35 too, and it seems like a lot of people on this here forum really like those. A lot of excited NGD J-35 posts, so that says a lot. Still trying to get a handle on the J-35, J-45, and J-50 differences, if any... Mainly I just want a killer Gibson acoustic guitar that is 24.75" and doesn't have any electric properties; I'm sure the right one will come along, I'm just as anxious as everyone else to actually have one in my hands. Now I'm crossing into the subject matter of some of my posts in the Gibson forum, so I'll continue there!

Thanks and kind regards,

C

Ironically, Gibsons are more expensive without electronics. If you want a new, short-scale, slope-shoulder design without a pickup, your choices are either the True Vintage J-45 or True Vintage Southern Jumbo, both of which are something like twice the price of a new J-35, or the super-expensive J-45 Legend. Fuller's Vintage and some other 5-Star dealers may also have exclusive models without electronics (like the Fuller's 1939 J-35 Reissue), or could special order them. The used market will may also present you options, as older models are less likely to have pickups.

Honestly, though, today's electronic pickup systems are lightweight and unobtrusive; you may not notice a guitar is even equipped with them, and the undersaddle transducers seem to have no ill-effects on acoustic tone. They are also easily removed.

Good luck with your search.

Red 333

Something I found today that confused me was the description for the Southern Jumbo True Vintage. Now this is a classy guitar, and I would LOOOOOVE to have one, but yeah, the price. Anyway:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-southern-jumbo-true-vintage-acoustic-guitar

It says "acoustic-electric", but then has no description of anything electric at all. This is even, seemingly, a different guitar from what is shown on the Gibson site:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Southern-Jumbo-New-Vintage.aspx

Which the site calls "New Vintage"... the only difference I see is the tuners (I prefer the look of the Keystone "tulips"!).

My thing with the electronics is that I'll have no use for them when the world ends. ;)

C

I was really thinking about the new Gibbie J35 except... I prefer something with a bit of onboard control. @#$%#$@%

I also prefer the shorter scale. In fact... I have a '50s single pup archtop with a 24-inch scale that plays marvelously in spite of a baseball bat neck profile.

m

I found an AJ-500R so I jumped on that. Yep, has a 25.5" scale, but that's ok for now. Eventually I'll get a J-45, but that will be a much longer and more involved hunt.

It will be fun to try out a rosewood guitar, though. Not too many of those come to mind besides George Harrison's Rosewood Tele from the rooftop concert!

C

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually strangely lucky. My AJ-500M was a refurb guitar I bought off eBay. It was literally perfect in every way, I tried for months to find a flaw to make it a refurb, but couldn't find anything. When I took it to the shop to get the pickup installed I was telling the guy about it, and he looked at it fir a while and then was like "wait a second" and pulled out a yardstick to measure the scale and lo and behold it's just under 25 inches. Not quite a true short scale but pretty close.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived