Gibson Brands Forums

Monel & Sunbeams

duluthdan

First off I do have to say I prefer my guitar strings to have some "edge" in their sound, so almost always opt for 80/20. I rarely, if ever use a pick, just can't hold onto the damn things. :rolleyes: I'm a flesh and nail guy I guess. Also, I have very little tensile sensation in my fretting hand, so I tend to press hard, no not "tend to", I just do. To the strings:

Monel/ Martin / Tony Rice Signature strings. Put these on my Jackson Browne (short scale, walnut back n sides) which lives tuned down one whole step. The tension on these strings is not proud enough to pull this off without, initially anyway, feeling a bit sloppy. The color of these strings is Silver. Not "kind of silver" they are straight out Silver. Not sure its the best look on a sunburst, but I can get by that. Sound? Well, not blown away. These nickel strings seem at first to be a bit mellow for my taste. They do have good sustain. They're ok, but don't quite have the volume of the Martin Lifespan 13s (good tension dropped down) or even the Elixer Nanoweb (which is also a bit sloppy). I'll give them an honest week of playing, plugged in, and unplugged. So far I'm not jumping up and down. They are Ok, we'll see how they settle in. To be fair to Mr. Rice, I'll install a set onto my Martin HD 28, tune 'er up to the missionary position, and see if that trips my trigger.

Sunbeams on the J-45. Tuned standard. Wow these things are squirelly - so little tension, but not sloppy. Easy string to play, and bend. But I only have one song I do that requires a string bend, and then only once. Sound? Jury's still out. These are a phosphur/bronze, but designed to have a bit more bite. I don't hear it yet, but its only been five minutes. But that's what first impressions are about, right? They are round core, and to me they have a round sound. Very pleasant, quite "warm". I'll give these a week test too - may even trundle this thing to the open mic at the bowling alley on Wednesday to compete with all the drunks.

Feel is important - neither of these strings feels knife-like nor do they feel slippery. The Sunbeams feel a bit smoother, and the Monels feel pretty normal, but a bit loosey-goosey right now.

I'll give it a few days and report back. Remember, I do not play with a pick, so YMMV.

Put DR Rare (PB) 12-54 & Ernie Ball Earthwound(80/20) 11-52...on Martin D Mad/Adi and took them pretty much right off within a half an hour.

I found them stiff.

I am only trying only 11's on the Martin but so far only Ernie Ball Slinky 11-52 PB are ok so far.

I want rattly & flexible..

Am going to order Elixir 11-52 80/20 Nano,DR Sunbeam 11-50 & maybe Pyramid 11-50 PB & Western to try on it.

Have the Elixir 80/20 Nano 12-53 on Lowden Short Scale and am happy.

Elixir PB Nano 12-53 on J200 Eng.Maple...happy.

Those strings feel kind of flexible.

Have a set of Pyramid PB 12-52 to try on Huss & Dalton Slope.

I really like the Sunbeams on my Gibson flat tops. Because of the round core, they bend quite easily, which is both good and bad. I like the PB "mellowness", but find these maintain a certain level of brightness longer than the Masterbuilt Premiums or J-200's I used to use (and still own a bunch of).

Because I don't change strings often, the fact that they last a bit longer is important to me as well, and the do seem to have slightly lower tension than similar hex-core strings.

I have the Martin Lifespans on my 000-28 EC, and they're OK, but I wouldn't even think of putting them on a Gibson. I'm not even sure they are that good on the Martin, but it's not a guitar I've particularly bonded with. I'm not really a fan of coated strings in general, and only put them on guitars that are rarely played or a major nuisance at string-changing time, such as My ES 335-12.

Quick update: The DR Sunbeam 12s are doing just fine on the J-45 in standard tuning - the heavens didn't move, but these strings are Ok. Still a bit too mellow for this complete sloppy fingerstyle guy, but they really sound good with a pick.

The Monels on the Jackson Browne just had to go. The tension is way too low on this short-scale neck. I thought maybe it was primarily because I was tuned a whole step down. Tuned to 1/2 step. Nope. Tuned to standard, nope. These are not the strings for this guitar. Period. I have 3 sets left. One is going to the guy at the guitar shop to try, one I will try on the Martin HD28, and the other shall gather dust along with other string sets that shall be given away piecemeal to my guitar whiz buddy to slap on his Cedar top Avalon.

Now, I gotta go read about the 1942 special JT -45, and start planting guitar acquisition seeds with the better-half. She's leaving town for a week... I bet I could sell her piano that never gets played and she'd never notice. Wish me luck!

Now, I gotta go read about the 1942 special JT -45, and start planting guitar acquisition seeds with the better-half. She's leaving town for a week... I bet I could sell her piano that never gets played and she'd never notice. Wish me luck!

If you do that, I sense you will be taking out a long-term lease on space in the doghouse in the back yard.

If you do that, I sense you will be taking out a long-term lease on space in the doghouse in the back yard.

Been playing her the JT CD in the car for a week now, and explaining the different guitars, different songs, folk songs that she likes, and she is really liking Lauren's singing - mentioning that alot of those Banners probably cost north of 10 Grand - "That's crazy" says she "Yeah I know, especially since Gibson and JT are working on coming out with re-issues that will probably cost half that." "That's a good idea..." she says. Seed planted.

BTW, have had the Sunbeams on the J-45 for nearly a week now, and ya know, they sound good. No, they sound darn good.

Quick update: The DR Sunbeam 12s are doing just fine on the J-45 in standard tuning - the heavens didn't move, but these strings are Ok. Still a bit too mellow for this complete sloppy fingerstyle guy, but they really sound good with a pick.

The Monels on the Jackson Browne just had to go. The tension is way too low on this short-scale neck. I thought maybe it was primarily because I was tuned a whole step down. Tuned to 1/2 step. Nope. Tuned to standard, nope. These are not the strings for this guitar. Period. I have 3 sets left. One is going to the guy at the guitar shop to try, one I will try on the Martin HD28, and the other shall gather dust along with other string sets that shall be given away piecemeal to my guitar whiz buddy to slap on his Cedar top Avalon.

Is the Avalon an Irish made one?

How do you/he like it?

Have been trying 80/20 Nano Elixirs and they really sound good and a nice little flexible which is what I am after.

Im into putting as little effort as possible to get the fundemental note..the energy preserved for after the string is fretted and for standing .. breathing ect : )

Wish those 80/20 Elixirs were not coated,cost less but had the same feel & sound. Im using the Pyramid plain singles though..really nice they are.

Is the Avalon an Irish made one?

How do you/he like it?

Not sure if its an Irish one or not, he got it used, and it wasn't cheap. He loves it - apparently has a really fast neck - he's an old electric guitar guy, and he can really fly - and the neck is the first thing he notices when he picks up a guitar. To me I could take it or leave it, but it sounds wonderful in his hands, but he's one of those guys who could make a cereal box strung with rubber bands sound good.

BTW, have had the Sunbeams on the J-45 for nearly a week now, and ya know, they sound good. No, they sound darn good.

Now, what did I tell ya? [biggrin]

It's true that they are not particularly loud when bare fingerpicked, unless you really dig into each string. However, I have gone back to mostly using a Dunlop plastic thumbpick and the same Dunlop .020 nickel silver fingerpicks I used 40 years ago. (These are literally the same fingerpicks I've had for 45 years. I assume you can still buy them.) I tried some of the Propick versions, but they seem to be a lot thicker an more difficult to form to your fingers.

The metal picks are a bit bright and loud on my SJ or J-45, but are perfect on the L-OO.

I originally started using metal fingerpicks when playing unamplified at coffee houses and bars, where you really needed to project.

I have the Sunbeams 12-54 on my hummingbird now. I put them on a few days ago and like them so far. The birds previous owner said he used Martin SP PB or John Pearse PB. His liking was the Martin over the John Pearse but I'd read so many good reviews on the JP I decided to try them first. I liked the way they sounded but after a week they started feeling dirty and dull to my fingers. I took them off after two weeks. I don't know if it was just me but I also thought they were making my low E sound too sharp. But that could be me I obsess over simple open D chord for some reason. But also this guitar could use a little mellowing of the high strings I feel. I haven't tried the Martin SP's on it yet and it was the previous owners favorite on this guitar so they're next up.

I'm working on a new song sample with the Sunbeams on the bird now. No D in this one. msp_smile.gif

and are now unemployed

There probably were no more than 6-10 guys building them..

The world is upside down. Guys that make guitars as good as it gets, and who knows what they are doing to make a living...

My brother in law is a good artist & really good carver of gold & silver..whats he doin doing jewlery repairs.

My friend in Scotland carved stone like an artist, what was/is he doing..? repairs..& pointing

Archived