Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 12 Fret, centered hole, small body

Quart Bernstein

Long story short I broke my collar bone a few year's back and was in the 10% of collar bone break's that requires a plate to be put in. I have had it put in and it's now taken out. This is the collar bone I play with.

Paradoxically enough a month ago I received a hatchet injury across three of my four playing finger's, and was in the 20% that didn't cut into the bone or a tendon. 11 stitches though.

Nonetheless, now I don't find dreadnought's comfortable. Whereas once I could sit eat and cook an egg with them it's really uninspiring even finding a position with the thing strapped over me.

So comfort in playing is really a big deal for me.

I do have a 1960's Silvertone parlor student guitar (more like a 00) that has been excellent to me. Other than it's wood's are less than exceptional (chipboard).

With my new body i'm finding I playing a classical position and a slothead (where my right arm wraps around the side of the lower bout rather than the top). For both of these it's much more comfortable forr the soundhole to be centered between the lower and upper bout like in the parlor guitars with 12 frets. In other word's I don't have to pull my collar bone and stain it to access the sweet spot.

Even from the change, I do like my overtone's that the J-45 provides. And i've been looking for a guitar since I broke my collar bone. Something in design similar to the Nick Lucas.

Unfortunately the reissues don't have the soundhole centered and i'm not too into buying one from the 30's (partially because of price). I really don't care how the instrument look's either.

I know Gibson has two that fit my category so far:

The Keb Mo Bluesmaster and

The Robert Johnson L-1

I play folk and fingerstyle mostly, so i'm not too privy to the boxy bluesy tone of them. In worst case scenario, fine.

I need help finding an out of production Gibson (preferably with a truss rod) that matches or perhaps a special run that I can't find that may use a different build, design, or wood's. And since we're member's of the Gibson sound, in worst case scenario if some other brand matches this basic design. Or if you've had a personal experience with the two instrument's above that work's in a folk/fingerstyle playing.

I would prefer it sooner rather than later too. Not interested in custom since i've already waited three years on my collar bone to fix and have it removed etc...

I wear my instrument's pretty high up so some depth is important to me. I've found the depth of the dreadnought doesn't bother me as it's the combination of size and angling. And as i've said, the depth add's overtone's and add's a little more comfort from a parlor.

I need the instrument centered between the lower and upper bout.

12 fret (but if the soundhole is centered, doesn't matter)

Short Scale

small body

Prefer Rosewood

Prefer Parlor-00

More gritty Gibson sound to the modern overtly sweet tone's.

Not a U shaped headstock

I -really- don't care what the guitar look's like

I can't really help you for modern Gibson, but there are several from the 20s and 30s in this picture that would do nicely.

30gib2s.jpg

The best for you would certainly be the 1931 L-2 (top row, far right) -- the line of fingerpickers who want that guitar is quite long. The 1926 L-1 (top center) (the Robert Johnson Guitar) is a bit brassy, but the HG-00 (front row, far right) is a compromise. The 12-fret 1934 HG-Century (front row left) is great if maple lights your fire. Even the little L-00 3/4 (front center) might be good -- not 12 fret, but remarkable power and tone in a pretty small guitar.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Other than the rosewood, you may want to look into a Gibson F25N, made throughout the '60s. A 12fretter with a classical 2"neck and the bridge shifted slightly lower on the body.

I have an F-25, it's a great guitar. Being mahogany instead of rosewood shouldn't matter much.

If you were looking at modern guitars, a second hand Nick Lucas would be worth checking out - most reissues are 14 fretters but the extra body depth gives a little more bass and body than a typical L-00. There's also the L-20 which is a Rosewood 12 fret L-00 style from the 90s. I used to have both models and they were nice guitars, although now that I rarely play acoustics live I prefer the tone of my vintage Gibsons.

Vintage wise the early small body Ls with H bracing and without a truss rod are an unusual sounding guitar. I love mine but it takes coaxing to get the best out of it and it'll take your ears off if you try to use a plectrum on it with any vigor. The larger 12 fret Ls from 1930-32 are wonderful guitars if you can find an example in good condition, and HG-00s are very good value vintage Gibsons. Tom's L-2 would be a dream guitar for me, but is well outside what I could imagine ever being able to spend on a guitar, as are the original Nick Lucas variants. But if you can afford one...

I do have a 1960's Silvertone parlor student guitar (more like a 00) that has been excellent to me. Other than it's wood's are less than exceptional (chipboard).

Silvertones were made by Harmony and Harmony never used anything but solid wood.

Archived