Gibson Brands Forums

$1399 for Martin D28 Good Buy?

bluesguitar65

Went to a local guitar shop and saw this 2003 Martin D28 for $1399 with OHSC. It shows some wear on the top, back and sides, but its in very good condition. These acoustic guitars go for $2400+ new.

I currently have a Seagull S6 original and a Washburn D10s acoustic.

Good deal, if, it doesn't need a neck reset. Have it checked by a good Martin certified tech.

It plays and sounds great. Action was just right and the tone is well balanced. How would I tell if the neck has been reset recently? Its a 2003, does the neck need to be reset being 10 years old? Its being sold at a mom and pop guitar shop, and doubt they will allow me to take out the store. There was no signs of cracks however.

Seems about $500 too cheap even as used - so yeah, a good deal assuming all is well. Have you played it?

Yea, its very eheap.... don't even seen this price at craigslist. Yes, I've played it, very warm and well balanced. Its got a solid rosewood back and side and solid spruce top, ebony fingerboard and bridge., bone nut and saddle. Don't know what tone wood is the neck though, but it sounds great.

[quote name='bluesguitar65' timestamp='1373681700' post='1398643 Don't know what tone wood is the neck though, but it sounds great.

Rosewood or mahogany most likely. Sounds like a winner.

Regarding the neck reset, check the action/string height across the entire fingerboard. No expert here, but I believe post 1985 Martin's have a non-adjustable truss rod - thus the need to reset the neck if/when the action gets off. It's an expensive job - like $500 or more.

Rosewood or mahogany most likely. Sounds like a winner.

Regarding the neck reset, check the action/string height across the entire fingerboard. No expert here, but I believe post 1985 Martin's have a non-adjustable truss rod - thus the need to reset the neck if/when the action gets off. It's an expensive job - like $500 or more.

They are still adjustable.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/truss_rod_wrench___long/45033

In 2006 Martin began installing a new 2-way adjustable truss rod in many models. This new rod sits deeper inside the neck and you will need this long truss rod wrench to reach it. This new longer wrench will work with both styles of truss rods, but the old wrench will only fit the old style truss rods. If you're unsure which wrench you need - you need this one.

Archived