Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny Cash Mystery Guitar

JuanCarlosVejar

Correct on the J200. He had two J200's for the first 4-5 years of his career, several throughout his life. The bronze/honey burst was maple from what I've read regarding his estate. The other model (red) was said to be rosewood by one source and maple by another, so I don't know for sure. I was kind of surprised to find out he had some maple guitars that he used professionally. Anyway, here's the maple one from sometime in the mid-late 50's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqjD8uzBUhA

It does kind of look like a J200 or some large jumbo slope, but it's pretty dark and hard for me to tell for sure. It might just be that the shadows are giving the guitar more of a rounded bottom look.. There are numerous pics of him at Newport in 1969 and he's playing a dread in all of them.

That pic may be mis-dated. Here's what looks to me to be the proper caption for the photo -

Photo credit: © David Gahr Estate, courtesy Morrison Hotel Gallery.

Johnny Cash, 1964, Newport Folk Festival

Johnny Cash in July 1964 at the Newport Folk Festival. This was the country music veteran’s debut performance at the folk festival, and he wowed the likes of Bob Dylan. Johnny Cash and Dylan became fast friends right there, a relationship that endured throughout their careers.

There are other pics of Cash at Newport 64 that match this one, and at that time the maple backed guitar would most likely be a J-200 as already shown above.

That pic may be mis-dated. Here's what looks to me to be the proper caption for the photo -

Photo credit: © David Gahr Estate, courtesy Morrison Hotel Gallery.

Johnny Cash, 1964, Newport Folk Festival

Johnny Cash in July 1964 at the Newport Folk Festival. This was the country music veteran’s debut performance at the folk festival, and he wowed the likes of Bob Dylan. Johnny Cash and Dylan became fast friends right there, a relationship that endured throughout their careers.

There are other pics of Cash at Newport 64 that match this one, and at that time the maple backed guitar would most likely be a J-200 as already shown above.

Good catch. That Newport photo is definitely older than '69. If I remember correctly he started his TV series in '69 and looked a lot older than in that photo.

Archived