Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker cover

Zeppeholic

Hello, I was going to special order (well, defiantly thinking about it) a Les Paul Traditional Pro 2 and I was wondering, with the open coil pickups that are on it, can I put a silver humbucker cover on it, or do I have to replace the entire pickup?

Also, these pickups have coil tapping, can I replace them with any other Gibson pickups that have coil tapping?

Hello!

Yes. Mind the pole-piece spacing!

Yes. Look for 4-wire pickups.

Cheers... Bence

So 4-wire pick-ups are the coil splitting pick-ups? and so, all I have to do with the humbucker cover is put the opening holes on one of the open coils and secure it right? like the guy above with the flying V

BENDER 4 LIFE:

"it's not a LP, but here's my V before & after adding covers.....use genuine Gibson covers & your pole spacings should be perfect.

the only even mildly challenging part is soldering the covers to the p'ups base plates."

GarysCam167.jpg

I did this with a Faded V.

I found that the covers took some of that brittle tone out of the 496R/500T's.

Decent cleans in the middle position with the volume rolled back and the right amp settings.

Damn they took the "+" away...

That's very nice, Bender! [thumbup] Looks way better!

Cheers... Bence

thanks, I did it to try to remove some of the "harshness" of the 496/500 ceramic p'up set.....it made a SMALL difference, but truthfully swapping the tone cap for a Russian PIO cap made more difference.

the looks are a nice bonus though!

Archived